Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2024, 08:35 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,999,816 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
I also wish he was more to the point. Well, I can tell you that since following Dr. Gundry recommendations, I've completely fixed pretty much all of my previously serious health issues and now remarkable fit and healthy. Some people don't seem to have the same issues so if you are one who has no issues with the problems he is addressing, just consider yourself fortunate.
Could you briefly explain why he says avocado is bad, or too much avocado too often is bad?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2024, 02:23 PM

30,396 posts, read 19,191,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Could you briefly explain why he says avocado is bad, or too much avocado too often is bad?
I don't recall him saying avocados are bad, he's always recommended them. He may have indicated that you should eat them in season primarily. I often eat avocados and love them, if anything I eat too much of them.

I've just got the best blood number in a dozen years with A1C in the normal range (no medications) and triglyceride of 100. I would like to get A1C below 5.0.

Old 01-18-2024, 01:20 AM

7,270 posts, read 5,150,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
... I would like to get A1C below 5.0....
A cardinal axiom in medicine-- "Treat the patient, not the blood test."

There is no evidence that getting the HbA1c below 7.0 improves outcomes...(except for diabetic retinopathy).

Old 02-14-2024, 12:39 PM

4,416 posts, read 9,144,492 times
I am skeptical. This could be a Bill Gates, WEF funded survey.

Old 02-14-2024, 01:27 PM

11,163 posts, read 7,974,219 times
Scientists cause cancer in laboratory rats….

Old 02-14-2024, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loose cannon View Post
I am skeptical. This could be a Bill Gates, WEF funded survey.
I'm super skeptical, always need to understand the biases that most scientists start with. Diabetes is mostly caused by processed carbs and bad oil, stress, and possibly medications is my belief after studying it for years.

Old 02-14-2024, 04:00 PM

One more time: An analogy--

For the sake of this discussion, let's agree that alcoholism is a genetically determined problem. If one with that genotype allows himself to drink excessively, he will eventually develop the ills of that drinking-- neuropathy, encephalopathy, hepatitis/cirrhosis, etc....If he is able to control the drinking within a certain limit, he may well avoid those problems, and of course, if he always abstains completely, he will never develop alcohol related disease.

It is exactly the same with T2 DM- If the genetically predisposed eat calories beyond some individually characteristic limit, they will be prone to diabetic complications...If they can stay within a limit, they will minimize their risk of complications, and if they always stayed below that limit, they will never develop diabetic complications.

It has nothing to do with what food you eat-- just how much food you eat (vs calorie expenditure: work/exercise helps) AND you must have the genetic predisposition....You are born diabetic. Calorie counts determine whether or not you show diabetes.

Old 02-15-2024, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
One more time: An analogy--

For the sake of this discussion, let's agree that alcoholism is a genetically determined problem. If one with that genotype allows himself to drink excessively, he will eventually develop the ills of that drinking-- neuropathy, encephalopathy, hepatitis/cirrhosis, etc....If he is able to control the drinking within a certain limit, he may well avoid those problems, and of course, if he always abstains completely, he will never develop alcohol related disease.

It is exactly the same with T2 DM- If the genetically predisposed eat calories beyond some individually characteristic limit, they will be prone to diabetic complications...If they can stay within a limit, they will minimize their risk of complications, and if they always stayed below that limit, they will never develop diabetic complications.

It has nothing to do with what food you eat-- just how much food you eat (vs calorie expenditure: work/exercise helps) AND you must have the genetic predisposition....You are born diabetic. Calorie counts determine whether or not you show diabetes.
I think some people are born prone to be alcoholic or diabetic and those better equipped to limit their intake will suffer lesser consequences. But saying it doesn't matter what you eat, I don't agree with.

Old 02-15-2024, 03:58 PM

Let's put it this way:

If a given diabetic has a calorie limit of, say, "X" calories per day beyond which his BS & HbA1c will start drifting up above an acceptable level, he will be able to better meet his other nutritional requirements (protein, vits & mins) if he includes more calories from meat and less from hi carb foods while he's trying to limit calories....

Don't forget that a bowl of pasta (1 cup) is ~200 cal of carbs-- the same as eating 12 tsp of sugar. (At least the pasta is a good source of niacin, folate & thiamine.)

3 oz of beef is also ~200 cal including 15 gm of protein and no carbs...but keep in mind that protein can be easily turned into glucose in your liver....

...In fact, all protein, carbs & fats are freely inter-converted in the liver (Remember "Acetyl CoA"?)...It's not what you eat but how much that really counts

Old 02-16-2024, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
Let's put it this way:

If a given diabetic has a calorie limit of, say, "X" calories per day beyond which his BS & HbA1c will start drifting up above an acceptable level, he will be able to better meet his other nutritional requirements (protein, vits & mins) if he includes more calories from meat and less from hi carb foods while he's trying to limit calories....

Don't forget that a bowl of pasta (1 cup) is ~200 cal of carbs-- the same as eating 12 tsp of sugar. (At least the pasta is a good source of niacin, folate & thiamine.)

3 oz of beef is also ~200 cal including 15 gm of protein and no carbs...but keep in mind that protein can be easily turned into glucose in your liver....

...In fact, all protein, carbs & fats are freely inter-converted in the liver (Remember "Acetyl CoA"?)...It's not what you eat but how much that really counts
But I find that the more I focus on eating fats over protein and especially carbs, the less hungry I become. So as long as I consume a very high proportion of my calories as fats, the easier it is to lose weight. The more carbs I consume, the hungrier I get and the more weight I gain. For me eating meat protein satiates my hunger longer than carbs but less than eating fats.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes