Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2023, 06:25 PM

13,732 posts, read 9,070,718 times

Advertisements

I do not write this lightly.

I had been using the 'classic' Omnipod system for several years. However, Omnipod informed users back in the summer that the 'classic' Omnipod would no longer be sold or supported after December 31, 2023.

There are two alternatives: the Omnipod 5, or the Omnipod Dash.

Medicare does not, as yet, cover Omnipod 5, so I had to go with the Dash. I didn't mind. My blood sugar is very uncertain, and I did not feel that it would do well with Omnipod 5 system, which 'anticipates' blood sugar levels, etc.

So, Dash it was.

One nice thing about 'classic' Omnipod, was that the PDM ran on two AAA batteries. I kept extras with me traveling.

But, the Dash has a rechargeable battery.

I have read elsewhere, and I have no reason to deny it, that the Omnipod Dash uses an old cell phone battery. One person claimed that the battery is so 'old', that the Omnipod company was able to buy up thousands for little money, to use in the Dash. Indeed, look up the battery on Amazon, and you realize it is an old battery.

The problem: the Dash will not readily recharge. If you have a charge of 80 percent, and plug in the charger provided by Omnipod, it will quickly discharge the battery. You must keep plugging in, until, finally, you detect an increase of battery power. If I plug in at 80 percent, I usually get down to 45 percent before I hit the sweet spot.

Second, once the battery gets below approximately 70 percent charge, it may suddenly lose all power.

An example. Last week I went to a movie. My Dash was at 80 percent charge. 90 minutes later, it was at 50 percent charge. When I got home, 40 minutes later, it was Zero.

Zero. I could not turn the PDM on. I could not suspend or increase insulin. It was dead.

I managed, at home, to get it charging. Once charged, the PDM had to reboot itself.

I am now on my 4th Dash PDM in the past 70 days. I call Omnipod, tell them my problem, and they send out a new PDM. Yet, it is always the same problem. Either difficulty in charging, or loss of power once it gets below 70 percent or so.

One person online said that this is because Omnipod bought 'old' cell phone batteries that are no longer manufactured. I believe it.

I have told Omnipod that this Dash PDM must be recalled. It is a defective device.

I am going on a two week cruise around Japan in March. Fortunately, I have a two months supply of the 'classic' Omnipod PDMs, which take batteries. I cannot trust the Dash device, and it should be recalled by the FDA. Indeed, I am trying to find out how to complain. This device must be recalled
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2023, 06:29 PM

37,339 posts, read 41,575,825 times
Here you go:

https://www.fda.gov/medical-devices/...evice-problems

Old 12-18-2023, 06:34 PM

9,205 posts, read 6,388,026 times
You should contact diabetes advocacy groups to canvass other users and confirm widespread problems.

Having a national group lobby for change would provide more strength to your arguments.

Old 12-21-2023, 08:12 AM

20,136 posts, read 16,262,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Good resource to address this.

Old 01-03-2024, 07:05 PM

I thank those that responded.

I am now trying to move to the Omnipod 5.

I received my fourth Dash PDM, but it, again, will not charge without a great deal of trouble.

I will be filing a report with the FDA. The Omnipod Dash should be recalled.

Going to Omnipod 5 has difficulties, with insurance. More on that later.

Old 01-18-2024, 05:57 PM

Update: I have the Omnipod 5 now. It is a blessing. If I plug it in, it charges. It uses a different battery and plug.

I keep the 5 on 'manual' mode, since the 5 only connects with Dexcom 6, while I have 3 months of Dexcom 7 to use. Otherwise, the 5, in manual mode, works the same.

Any questions, post them.

Old 01-31-2024, 09:33 AM

3,123 posts, read 3,406,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
You should contact diabetes advocacy groups to canvass other users and confirm widespread problems.

Having a national group lobby for change would provide more strength to your arguments.
Check with American Diabetes Association.

Old 02-28-2024, 07:10 PM

19,791 posts, read 10,230,351 times
My wife's Dash has to be charged several times a day.

Old 03-25-2024, 02:48 PM

19,791 posts, read 10,230,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
Update: I have the Omnipod 5 now. It is a blessing. If I plug it in, it charges. It uses a different battery and plug.

I keep the 5 on 'manual' mode, since the 5 only connects with Dexcom 6, while I have 3 months of Dexcom 7 to use. Otherwise, the 5, in manual mode, works the same.

Any questions, post them.
The Omnipod 5 uses a phone for results and not a cheap phone.

Old 04-25-2024, 07:44 PM

Update: while I like the Omnipod 5, it does require attention for charging.

I still have the 'classic' Omnipods, which I recently used for our two-week cruise around Japan.

Why? Because you MUST charge the Omnipod 5 every day.

The 5 is not as bad as the Dash, but it is a hassle to keep your eye on the 5 charge.

So, for our two week Japan cruise, I used my old Classic Omnipods. The PDM for it uses 2 AAA batteries. I made out fine.

I still have enough 'classic' pods for a couple of trips. After that? Keep my charger handy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes