Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2012, 08:30 PM

1,898 posts, read 2,751,524 times

Advertisements

An important point a lot of people don't really follow in these matters....

The people from Central Europe who arrived before 1920 arrived not from the various modern countries, but from Austria-Hungary. They just might be Polish, Czech, Slovak, etc., as the then "Austria" included many nationalities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2012, 01:40 PM

1 posts, read 1,597 times
What can you tell me about North Dayton 45405? Thanks.

Old 06-21-2012, 01:52 PM

4,479 posts, read 6,231,790 times
It used to be a really nice neighborhood comprised of many eastern European nationalities. Now there is only a fingerprint of it's former self remaining. There is a lot of crime and it's turned into a rough area with a lot of vacancies. There are immigrants moving in though - the Ahiska Turkish community - to be more exact. I think around 300 families moved in recently. Read more here:

Dayton Mayor: Welcome Dayton Plan - How it started

The third paragraph down discusses them somewhat. I am sure a google search or two will yield much more info. At least this gets you going in the right direction.

Old 06-21-2012, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUBYDIANA View Post
I assume by North Dayton you mean Old North Dayton. I don't have time to look up the zip code.

Old 06-21-2012, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUBYDIANA View Post
1. That it (45405) is "North Dayton" only in the minds of the confused and misled even though it is geographically north.

2. It was never a particularly "Hungarian neighborhood" although there have been a few of Hungarian descent scattered about the place. There have also be some of Jewish descent scattered about the place and some from them thar hills and some others.

Old 06-22-2012, 06:05 AM

I just looked at the zip code on google maps and that zip is for the west side. So, my answer still stands for Old North Dayton. Wherever the confusion lies is on the one who put up the zip.

Old 06-22-2012, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJones123 View Post
I just looked at the zip code on google maps and that zip is for the west side. So, my answer still stands for Old North Dayton. Wherever the confusion lies is on the one who put up the zip.
Nope. the west side is 45407, 45417 in extension out to at least around Residence Park.

Tom Jones, 123, for your future information, "the west side" was a very specific neighborhood area (on maps as such as "West Side" and within the lifetime of older natives) that covered the area south of Wolf Creek to West Third street from the west bank of the Great Miami river to what was called Western avenue, now James McGee boulevard. It was along the north side of West Third street and it now has a new name. And, the significance of being exact rests on two things:

1. In more recent times one of the buildings used for the Manhattan Project was there. As you may know, there are hopes of having a scatter site national part (at least) out of that.

2. In older times, the 1903 Wright Brothers bicycle shop and one of the early "factories" was in the area. The 1903 shop itself is now in Michigan, but the patch of land is still there ... on the west side. The shop on South Williams street was occupied before the building that was hauled to Michigan by Henry Ford somewhere around 1936.

Dayton View (45406) and Riverdale (45405) are not "west side" -- they are even different priority board areas.

And, I think I've told you just about as much before. And, I don't care what any "south side" babbling says. See item one and two above.

Postscript: I did hear something about the post office trying to phase out 45407 if it has not already done so.

Old 06-22-2012, 11:10 AM

^^ Ya, we have had this argument before and I see you still don't get it. You can go around calling the west side some small neighborhood near Wolf Creek all you want and at the end of the day Dayton still divides into the west side and the east end, or east side.

You probably wouldn't know any better since it seems you haven't been to Dayton since the Wright brothers were walking around.

Old 06-22-2012, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJones123 View Post
^^ Ya, we have had this argument before and I see you still don't get it. You can go around calling the west side some small neighborhood near Wolf Creek all you want and at the end of the day Dayton still divides into the west side and the east end, or east side.

You probably wouldn't know any better since it seems you haven't been to Dayton since the Wright brothers were walking around.
They say "North Dayton" because it divides east and west? Are you sure you want to say that forever?

Admittedly the south side is a bit narrow, bu it does exist.

Old 06-22-2012, 05:03 PM

There is a sizable south east as well. Do you really have a point? or just being argumentative?

Either way. I will leave you to your wrongness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton