Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2008, 09:22 AM

1 posts, read 10,039 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

My husband and I are potentially moving to Dayton next year for a job at the University of Dayton, so we are investigating neighborhoods and housing. We don't have kids yet but plan to soon. I've investigated a bit and Oakwood sounds ideal- houses with character, top-rated school system, safe, close to the U, etc. Of course, housing prices reflect all of that and we could realistically afford only the smallest houses there.

I did some investigating on a local realtor's website and houses in an area called "University Row," "Dayton View" and "Upper Dayton View" (zip code 45406) are affordable, have character, are close to downtown, etc. I have read how bad Dayton public schools are and know this is a factor. Can anyone tell me anything about this area?

Frankly, I'm kinda skeptical of the neighborhoods we can afford. Ever hear the expression, "I wouldn't join any club that would have me as a member?" That's sort of how I feel about this 45406 area- if it's actually in our price range, we probably don't want to live there.

Thanks for any input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2008, 10:58 PM

245 posts, read 1,272,684 times
I've always been a big fan of Dayton View. The homes in that area are amazing with major potential. But the neighborhood has been teetering on "major potential" and hardcore ghetto for some time now. The sub prime mortgage meltdown is reeking havoc on any progress that's been made in the last 10-20 years, and there's just too much run down multi-unit apartment housing in the area. And with the economy going on a downward spiral, the rate of petty crimes in similar areas of Cincinnati and NYC are skyrocketing. Dayton lacks the large number of young professional would be home renovators... Most people who fit in this category end up living in the suburbs and bypassing the city altogether.

With this in mind, I wouldn't risk Dayton View right now. You'll never realize a return on the money you put into the house, and selling the house at a later time will be a challenge. It's really too bad because again, Dayton View has mega potential but Dayton in general lacks the population that could make it a happenin' neighborhood once again.

A good area adjacent to Oakwood is Patterson Park. I'm pretty sure it's City of Dayton, but you can get very nice big, old homes there rather cheap and soak in all the advantages of living around Oakwood. The worst that can happen there is you either wait to pounce on an affordable home in Oakwood later on, or else just pay the tuition to send your kids to Oakwood Schools.

Old 07-04-2008, 11:03 PM

245 posts, read 1,272,684 times
Also check out 45419. Its an area that straddles parts of Oakwood, Kettering, and Dayton. Great location, homes are well priced, and like Patterson Park you get the advantages of Oakwood without the Oakwood prices.

Old 07-05-2008, 09:54 AM

6 posts, read 30,158 times
oh dear you two, the house i bid is just 45406, so it's in the community "dayton view"?
It's very likely I will go there, i hope to renovate it, and did my part to make the community a little better, if there are some more like me, i think the community will get better and better, am i childish or right?
again, mike did me a big favor, thank you again! hope to hear more advice on how to live in 45406!

Last edited by frank123; 07-05-2008 at 10:20 AM..

Old 07-06-2008, 04:56 PM

1,225 posts, read 4,452,047 times
Patterson Park is in Dayton, and it is nice. Built mostly in the 1940s.

For a closer in area thats developing, there is South Park and Fairgrounds. The Univeristy of Dayton and Miami Valley Hospital, two big local insitutions, have put a lot of money into the Fairgrounds area, so you might want to look at this area.

Also, South Park is an area undergoing restoration, and is turning into the next hot in-town neighborhood to live in. Very close to UD. As YoMikey said, there isnt enough of the demographic in the area to really support a lot of in-town living, but this neighborhood seems to be developing the critical mass of activity, so it would be a safe investment.

@@

Dayton View is good block-bad block. Harvard Avenue is the best street. Also the area north of Cornell and east of Philadlphia, around the old seminary (the so-called Golden Triangle) is still pretty nice (but avoid blocks coming off Salem Avenue) and has avoided the vacancy/abandonment situation somewhat.

Old 07-07-2008, 02:59 PM

92 posts, read 348,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alyson423 View Post
Hi all,

My husband and I are potentially moving to Dayton next year for a job at the University of Dayton, so we are investigating neighborhoods and housing. We don't have kids yet but plan to soon. I've investigated a bit and Oakwood sounds ideal- houses with character, top-rated school system, safe, close to the U, etc. Of course, housing prices reflect all of that and we could realistically afford only the smallest houses there.

I did some investigating on a local realtor's website and houses in an area called "University Row," "Dayton View" and "Upper Dayton View" (zip code 45406) are affordable, have character, are close to downtown, etc. I have read how bad Dayton public schools are and know this is a factor. Can anyone tell me anything about this area?

Frankly, I'm kinda skeptical of the neighborhoods we can afford. Ever hear the expression, "I wouldn't join any club that would have me as a member?" That's sort of how I feel about this 45406 area- if it's actually in our price range, we probably don't want to live there.

Thanks for any input.
My fear for you would be that you'd have trouble with re-sale in the "University Row," "Dayton View" and "Upper Dayton View" areas. Not many are looking to locate there, as it does tend to be a bit more rough than other areas of Dayton. . .and most are trying to get their kids out of dayton public schools. As someone else mentioned, Patterson Park and South Park are good alternatives. . .but you still have dayton schools in those areas, but most likely you would have better luck at re-sale.

Also, I have to say, there are a lot of homes that are for sale in Oakwood at the moment, that I would consider affordable. I think if you do some digging, you can find a house there that you love and can afford. If you are in town or coming soon, just drive around the east side (east of far hills ave) and snake through the streets. I currently live in Oakwood and walk every day and have noticed that quite a few homes are for sale by owner, so they might not be online. If you are about to start a family, Oakwood schools are what you'll want. Plus, there are a ton of college professors that reside here on the east side. ...and your hubby would actually be able to walk to work if he wanted too. . .Oakwood and UD share a line....he could literally walk there in 5-20 minutes depending on the part of Oakwood you'd be in.

Best of luck!!

Old 07-08-2008, 01:10 AM

348 posts, read 1,051,237 times
I lived in the "45406" area (Dayton View) during my high school time (1960's). In 1960, my parents decided to move to this area because of the best high school.

But it is down. My 91 year-old dad's house is on market since February 2006 and he reduced the sale price from $56K to $30K. He changed the Realtors this month.

Oakwood is still the best. I am puzzled that there is no mention of "Beavercreek" in this thread. If I were living in the Dayton area, I rather choose Beavercreek.

Centerville is also good.

Old 07-08-2008, 07:22 AM

41,948 posts, read 75,153,734 times
If you're going to be working at UD, look at South Park. You could easily walk to work.

When I was a student at UD in the 70s, South Park was pretty run down. It's been going through a renaissance of sorts -- kind of in stops and starts -- but I can't see that neighborhood going anywhere but up now.

Old 10-20-2009, 01:21 PM

1 posts, read 8,443 times
Red face I feel in love with the house*

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank123 View Post
oh dear you two, the house i bid is just 45406, so it's in the community "dayton view"?
It's very likely I will go there, i hope to renovate it, and did my part to make the community a little better, if there are some more like me, i think the community will get better and better, am i childish or right?
again, mike did me a big favor, thank you again! hope to hear more advice on how to live in 45406!
Altough this area has a bad rap...I can't help it...I fell in love with the house. I want to be a part of the solution. I'm behind you all of the way and plan on doing my part to be a positive addition to the "hood". I hope to move Nov. 1st...wish me luck*

Old 10-20-2009, 05:12 PM

296 posts, read 842,159 times
Ok so most OPINIONS are live in the south eastern areas close to the suburbs. My opinion is take them with a grain of salt. But PLEASE don't let anyone scare you away from due diligence and considering the areas you are interested in. There are homes in University Row, Dayton View and Upper Dayton View that are absolutely gorgeous and extremely affordable.

Not sure which Dayton View you want.

http://www.city-data.com/neighborhoo...Dayton-OH.html

University Row

Check these areas out on zillow to get an idea what prices are like.

As for the schools, check this link:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/dayto...on-public.html

The most objective opinion I can come up with about Dayton public schools is that they do poorly on state report cards. If that is of the utmost importance to you then there are charter schools, private schools, and home schooling. To me scores do not mean that much and I am in the process of enrolling my 3 year old son in Dayton public schools pre-school programs as I type this.

Also, I live in East Dayton. It's very urban and I love it. It has a big city feel to it without some of the problems associated with ultra dense population, i.e cost of living at the top of the list.

I purchased a foreclosed home and renovated it to my liking. Considering what I have in it I can sell it right now for a profit. Plus I own it out right - I paid cash. It's a 1560 sq. ft, Four square style, with walk up attic and full basement, and offer plenty of room for a family of three. My advice is do lots of due diligence, map out the areas that interest you and plan some trips and cruise the neighborhoods you are interested in. Believe me there are some gorgeous, affordable homes in the areas you mentioned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton