Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2009, 05:19 PM

1,225 posts, read 4,452,892 times

Advertisements

One of the often overlooked amenities that WILL eventually play a role in Dayton's future is WATER. Yep, that underground aquifer we have cannot be understated.

And there are the Great Lakes for Chicago, Milwaulkee, Rochester, Toronto, etc. Also a lot of fresh water. And you can use it for recreation, too.

I think a good sign on how desperate people around here is they are trying to differentiate this area based on a commodity like water. Regionally one can do this for the Midwest vs the arid West but within the Midwest other places can make the same pitch, but have a lot of other things going for them , too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2009, 06:51 PM

1,247 posts, read 3,862,176 times
^Most of the Midwest is facing the very same problems we are, albeit on a lesser scale in most locales.

We do have the water advantage over the southwest and southeast.... and it can't be taken for granted. As the world population races to reach 10 billion by 2050 paired with desertification of many locations on earth will have many people hoping that they can be fortunate enough to live by the world's largest concentration of freshwater.

Old 11-09-2009, 06:51 PM

296 posts, read 842,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JefferyT View Post
One of the often overlooked amenities that WILL eventually play a role in Dayton's future is WATER. Yep, that underground aquifer we have cannot be understated.

And there are the Great Lakes for Chicago, Milwaulkee, Rochester, Toronto, etc. Also a lot of fresh water. And you can use it for recreation, too.

I think a good sign on how desperate people around here is they are trying to differentiate this area based on a commodity like water. Regionally one can do this for the Midwest vs the arid West but within the Midwest other places can make the same pitch, but have a lot of other things going for them , too.
So true. IMO - Dayton needs to get more recreation going on it's rivers in a big way. However, I'm not sure it's necessarily desperation from me when I mention it. I am simply pointing out that one of the things developers consider is water and it's cost. Dayton has to change a lot of other things to balance out the attractiveness of it's water supply.

Old 11-09-2009, 11:07 PM

This is a few months old. But good none the less.

Dayton region has 20 companies among nation’s fastest-growing - Dayton Business Journal:

Old 11-09-2009, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by willabee View Post
So true. IMO - Dayton needs to get more recreation going on it's rivers in a big way. However, I'm not sure it's necessarily desperation from me when I mention it. I am simply pointing out that one of the things developers consider is water and it's cost. Dayton has to change a lot of other things to balance out the attractiveness of it's water supply.
The Dayton Region H2Open For Business

Old 11-11-2009, 12:10 PM

2,785 posts, read 6,630,638 times
NCR just went through a recent scandal I was reading. Cutting some 2,000 jobs I heard. Serves them and Georgia right! HAHA

Anyway, the future looks very exciting for Dayton. I was wondering, everyones' opinion here, should we make a Dayton Development Thread?

Old 11-11-2009, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beavercreek33 View Post
NCR just went through a recent scandal I was reading. Cutting some 2,000 jobs I heard. Serves them and Georgia right! HAHA

Anyway, the future looks very exciting for Dayton. I was wondering, everyones' opinion here, should we make a Dayton Development Thread?
I think it would be cool. Dayton won't bounce back without developer's interest. It would be cool to see what's going on since local media outlet's prefer yellow journalism to positive happenings. I have to work hard to find out what's happening so I think it would give folks another central place to read and contribute.

Old 11-11-2009, 12:34 PM

2,785 posts, read 6,630,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willabee View Post
I think it would be cool. Dayton won't bounce back without developer's interest. It would be cool to see what's going on since local media outlet's prefer yellow journalism to positive happenings. I have to work hard to find out what's happening so I think it would give folks another central place to read and contribute.

Yes, this was an awesome idea for a thread! Thank you. We need more people like yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton