Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2017, 06:14 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,356,098 times

Advertisements

More on the William Sherman house, Red Oak (aka the Hook Estate)...

Dayton Hook estate for sale

I have serious house envy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2017, 07:37 AM

1,898 posts, read 2,751,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post

I have serious house envy.
Did it say it didn't need new plumbing and new wiring? (I didn't read it all.)

Old 01-05-2017, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarpathianPeasant View Post
Did it say it didn't need new plumbing and new wiring? (I didn't read it all.)
It's been completely renovated top to bottom. Beth Duke, the owner, has been involved in a lot of the downtown revitalization efforts in recent years. I understand that she is also an artist. In any case, beautiful home, but it's interesting that the article does not mention the Shermans or Standard Register. I find that weird.

Old 01-05-2017, 10:59 AM

Quote:
It's been completely renovated top to bottom. Beth Duke, the owner, has been involved in a lot of the downtown revitalization efforts in recent years. I understand that she is also an artist. In any case, beautiful home, but it's interesting that the article does not mention the Shermans or Standard Register. I find that weird.
Okay. The first picture was impressive, then with the outside of the house I thought about cleaning up old beat-up bricks, then thoughts drifted beyond and I don't have time yet to read it all.

Old 01-05-2017, 11:28 AM

You didn't have time to read a 700 word article? You must be very busy!

Old 01-05-2017, 02:31 PM

Quote:
You didn't have time to read a 700 word article? You must be very busy!
Very decrepit and engrossed in a complaint against an agency. Advocate's office person got bogged down. Stuff takes all my brain power.

Old 01-06-2017, 11:48 AM

1,099 posts, read 1,143,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GenericUsername73 View Post
I got to thinking on this during a walk through Woodland the other day. You know when walk up the hill from the chapel off Brown St, the first big tomb you see is a huge bronze statue of Adam Schantz, beer and water mogul extraordinaire. There are like 4 generations of Schantz in that plot. The further in you go the more you see these names you recognize: Huffman, Ritty, Wright of course. And it got me to thinking.
These families were unimaginably wealthy. I mean, the Ketterings had easily a billion dollars in 2015 money when Charles died in the 50's. And the 50's were not that long ago. Same goes for Deeds, Patterson, Wright, Sherman, Reynolds, there are like a dozen other names.
I was wondering what happened to these families. Are the descendants still living in Dayton? Do they still have that family money? We are only 3 generations removed from the founders of these clans, where is the current generation? Are they active in Dayton culture/politics/business? It seems like they just up and disappeared. You never hear anything about the Kettering family anymore, they seem to have no influence whatsoever. Ditto the Pattersons. It seems all they left is their names and their graves, but the families themselves either left or got diluted over the generations.
Do these families still exist at all? I've always wondered this.
I've often wondered the same thing going through Greenlawn Cemetery in Columbus. I know there are descendants of the Lazarus family still here, and descendants of P.W. Huntington (Huntington National Bank). I don't think there are any descendants of Samuel Prescott Bush (Buckeye Steel), but the Bush family did still own some of his land in the Columbus area until the 1980's. I "think" there are Rockefellers still in the Cleveland area.

I think what you will find with a lot of these old families is that they were "carpetbaggers" from the east. They made their fortunes here, but didn't have deep enough roots where a lot of descendants stayed around.

I have been curious if there are any Cox family members still around.

Last edited by PerryMason614; 01-06-2017 at 11:58 AM..

Old 02-18-2017, 04:42 PM

12 posts, read 22,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerryMason614 View Post
I've often wondered the same thing going through Greenlawn Cemetery in Columbus. I know there are descendants of the Lazarus family still here, and descendants of P.W. Huntington (Huntington National Bank). I don't think there are any descendants of Samuel Prescott Bush (Buckeye Steel), but the Bush family did still own some of his land in the Columbus area until the 1980's. I "think" there are Rockefellers still in the Cleveland area.

I think what you will find with a lot of these old families is that they were "carpetbaggers" from the east. They made their fortunes here, but didn't have deep enough roots where a lot of descendants stayed around.

I have been curious if there are any Cox family members still around.
Anne Cox Chambers and the rest of the clan have been in Atlanta for a few generations now:

Forbes Welcome

Edit:
I got to wander through the Hook Estate in summer of...2015, I think, when they hosted a Tiny House convention. Really really cool, grand but cozy at the same time, however you pull that off. Seems like that sort of neo-Tudor style was big among Dayton grandees in the first 3 decades of the 20th century.

Old 05-04-2017, 06:25 PM

2 posts, read 3,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertbrianbush View Post
I find it fascinating! I am a local history buff, but I have never seen a treatment, in books, newspaper articles, etc of what happened to the descendants of Dayton's great industrialists and inventors, which is odd, because Dayton decidedly had a Silicon Valley vibe going on in the late nineteenth be early twentieth centuries. Keep posting!
Hi! I'm Noreen. I used to stay for weeks at a time with my Uncle and Grandma in the Hook mansion.
It was admittedly less grand then the Sherman Mansion but it was and is a gorgeous home. The owner and a descendant of the Founders of Standard Register, JimmyHook was killed in a car accident in the late 70's.
He was a teacher who taught at Sinclair College. He was the closest man I could think of as being the closest thing to an actual leprechaun. Irish 🍀 as Patty's pig and always telling the funniest stories. He was a big supporter of the poor and minority communities of Dayton. His funeral was attended by every notable politician in Ohio and several Washington dignitaries as well. His closest surviving relatives was his younger sister Peggy Clark who lived in Washington DC. I believe she's still alive. She was a very nice lady but was grief ridden by the death of her only brother. They were very close and her children loved their uncle.

The house was the location of a movie recently made called True Nature. Whoever renovated the house did a spectacular job. It is still a marvelous home. English Tudor with amazing character. One of the most beautiful homes I've ever set foot in, by far.

I have such great memories of that place. It is currently for sale for a piddling 919,000. I live in LA now so I'm out, plus 919,000 is SLIGHTLY OUT OF MY LEAGUE.😘
This is a fun forum 😉

Old 06-03-2017, 01:33 AM

1 posts, read 1,179 times
Quote:
More about the Frederick Beck Patterson/Evelyn Van Tuyl Huffman line...

Fredericka did have a younger sister named Evelyn, born in 1926. Evelyn first married painter [URL="http://wlprescott.blogspot.com/?view=magazine"]William Linzee Prescott[/URL], and they lived for some years in Mexico, where he made a study of fresco, before divorcing. Evelyn married her second husband, [URL="https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Truitt"]James McConnell Truitt[/URL], in 1972.

Here's an [URL="https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=892&dat=19831021&id=sJhOAAAAIBAJ&sj id=vEwDAAAAIBAJ&pg=4091,4234502&hl=en"]article[/URL] about Evelyn's son, William. I found this quote to be a sad testament to the stress of growing up in such an illustrious family...

I can only imagine.

This is true. Evelyn was my grandmother. And William in the article is my father.

Thank you for the information about Aunt Dorthy. I've only heard stories from my father so it's great to see published information about her as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton