Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 11:37 PM

1,837 posts, read 4,147,997 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone!! Today was a very difficult day to say the least. I am trying to find scripture to meditate on and I found Philippians 4:8 which says:

Finally brethren, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things.

In other words the Bible tells us what to think about. I was wondering what do you think about when you think of this scripture and how do you apply it to your life? Give me some examples of whatever is true for instance. What does that mean to you? You can pick any of the words and give me examples.

We all need to be thinking of good things... for these days can be long and these trials can be brutal... I need your encouragement and insight...

Thank you,
Raelyn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2010, 12:06 AM

696 posts, read 915,020 times
I think of all I have done wrong and all that I have yet to do in Christ Jesus. Also of note it is constantly raining and I view that a blessing as many still yet have a chance to find Truth in Christ Jesus.

However, I must confess I am a bit down today. More specifically Ezekiel is in my mind. Exekiel 16 is the song of my soul lately. I know my saviour in Christ, but I truely lament those who either don't or who think they do. Not to depress you, but I can not state otherwise.

May The Lord God Jesus Christ find you in Truth.

Old 01-14-2010, 07:25 AM

10,295 posts, read 9,693,188 times
Phil.4:8...

Quote:
What does that mean to you?
Meditate.....to think deeply about and to continually fill our minds with, what is good.
We become like the things on which we reflect.

True...honest
Noble...honorable, inspiring us to do the best.
Just.... right and fair.
Pure...acceptable to God.
Lovely.... attractive and inspiring.
Good report.....winsome and gracious.
Virtue.... superior character.
Praiseworthy.... excellent, commendable.

Do these things and God will be with you!!!

The answer to anxiety is....

"Be Anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God, and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus."(Phil. 4:6-7)

We are not to worry. Paul is reflecting Jesus' own counsel (Matt.6:25-34). To worry is to doubt God's ability to help us.

Remember.... 2 Cor. 10:4-5
4 For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal but mighty in God for pulling down strongholds,
5 casting down arguments and every high thing that exalts itself against the knowledge of God, bringing every thought into captivity to the obedience of Christ.

Now in Phil., we are counseled to tell God our needs and then in 2 Cor., we take captive the thoughts like anxiety, doubt, so forth the arguments that are trying to exalt against the knowledge of that which Christ has given us.

Then we can think upon and thank God for our past blessings! Because we know that He will answer our requests.
And then the peace of God's own being, which He shares with us, will guard our emotions and thoughts.....

Blessings...

Old 01-14-2010, 10:00 AM

4,213 posts, read 5,833,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raelyn28 View Post
Hi everyone!! Today was a very difficult day to say the least. I am trying to find scripture to meditate on and I found Philippians 4:8 which says:

Finally brethren, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things.

In other words the Bible tells us what to think about. I was wondering what do you think about when you think of this scripture and how do you apply it to your life? Give me some examples of whatever is true for instance. What does that mean to you? You can pick any of the words and give me examples.

We all need to be thinking of good things... for these days can be long and these trials can be brutal... I need your encouragement and insight...

Thank you,
Raelyn
This very verse is one of many reasons I speak out against sin.

Old 01-14-2010, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinD69 View Post
This very verse is one of many reasons I speak out against sin.
Not sure I understand what you mean by your comment? Please explain if you feel led to do so?

Old 01-14-2010, 05:22 PM

2,331 posts, read 3,374,094 times
Quote:

Thank you,
Raelyn
The 13th Article of Faith of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is based on that scripture. Written about 1830 and since placed in our canon, it reads:

"We believe in being honest, true, chaste, benevolent, virtuous, and in doing good to all men; indeed, we may say that we follow the admonition of Paul—We believe all things, we hope all things, we have endured many things, and hope to be able to endure all things. If there is anything virtuous, lovely, or of good report or praiseworthy, we seek after these things."

http://scriptures.lds.org/en/a_of_f/1

It is my personal experience that it's difficult but we do have the power to take control of our thoughts. Doing so may be the greatest struggle we will ever have in this life. Frequent repeating in our minds of favorite positive affirmations makes it easier and easier to avoid depression.

"For to be carnally minded is death; but to be spiritually minded is life and peace." Romans 8: 6

http://scriptures.lds.org/en/rom/8/6#6

Below is a sample of positive affirmations that should be of value to Christians of all denominations:

"For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind." (2 Tim 1:7)

This is the day which the Lord has made, I will rejoice and be glad in it.

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

I am a joint-heir with Jesus Christ and more than a conqueror.

I am a doer of the teachings of Jesus, a channel for his blessings.

With God, all things are possible.

God's healing hand is now overshadowing me and healing is instant.

By day and by night I powerfully attract more and more success, peace, and prosperity.

Every day in every way I am getting better, better, and better.

I am blessed coming in and I am blessed going out.

God has commanded His blessing on my storehouses.

He has given me power to make wealth and happiness for myself and others.

No evil shall befall me and no plague shall overcome my dwelling.

God has given his angels charge over me, they are bearing me up in their hands.

I am called out of darkness into God's marvelous light.

My enemies will always flee before me.

God has opened His good treasures and I shall lend and not borrow.

No weapon formed against me shall prosper.

Every tongue which rises against me in false judgment You shall condemn.

God is my refuge, righteousness my armor.

I am saved from wrath by Him and justified by the blood of the Lamb.

I am a child of God and I love everybody.

I radiate to all the pure love of Jesus Christ, and his healing power.

I am now shining and focusing the light that is quietly gathering within and about me.

God is renewing a right spirit within me.

I know that God lives and Jesus is the Christ.

There, feel better after reading those?

Old 01-14-2010, 09:42 PM

I am going to ask you once again;

What is true?
What is lovely?
What is of good repute?
What is pure?

List somethings that come to mind.

For instance Gold is pure, a diamond is pure, God is pure...water can be pure.

What else people?

Old 01-14-2010, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justamere10 View Post
The 13th Article of Faith of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is based on that scripture. Written about 1830 and since placed in our canon, it reads:

"We believe in being honest, true, chaste, benevolent, virtuous, and in doing good to all men; indeed, we may say that we follow the admonition of Paul—We believe all things, we hope all things, we have endured many things, and hope to be able to endure all things. If there is anything virtuous, lovely, or of good report or praiseworthy, we seek after these things."

http://scriptures.lds.org/en/a_of_f/1

It is my personal experience that it's difficult but we do have the power to take control of our thoughts. Doing so may be the greatest struggle we will ever have in this life. Frequent repeating in our minds of favorite positive affirmations makes it easier and easier to avoid depression.

"For to be carnally minded is death; but to be spiritually minded is life and peace." Romans 8: 6

http://scriptures.lds.org/en/rom/8/6#6

Below is a sample of positive affirmations that should be of value to Christians of all denominations:

"For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind." (2 Tim 1:7)

This is the day which the Lord has made, I will rejoice and be glad in it.

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

I am a joint-heir with Jesus Christ and more than a conqueror.

I am a doer of the teachings of Jesus, a channel for his blessings.

With God, all things are possible.

God's healing hand is now overshadowing me and healing is instant.

By day and by night I powerfully attract more and more success, peace, and prosperity.

Every day in every way I am getting better, better, and better.

I am blessed coming in and I am blessed going out.

God has commanded His blessing on my storehouses.

He has given me power to make wealth and happiness for myself and others.

No evil shall befall me and no plague shall overcome my dwelling.

God has given his angels charge over me, they are bearing me up in their hands.

I am called out of darkness into God's marvelous light.

My enemies will always flee before me.

God has opened His good treasures and I shall lend and not borrow.

No weapon formed against me shall prosper.

Every tongue which rises against me in false judgment You shall condemn.

God is my refuge, righteousness my armor.

I am saved from wrath by Him and justified by the blood of the Lamb.

I am a child of God and I love everybody.

I radiate to all the pure love of Jesus Christ, and his healing power.

I am now shining and focusing the light that is quietly gathering within and about me.

God is renewing a right spirit within me.

I know that God lives and Jesus is the Christ.

There, feel better after reading those?
This isn't what I had in mind but thanks just the same.

Old 01-15-2010, 12:21 AM

2,741 posts, read 8,882,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latte'Chic View Post
Phil.4:8...

Meditate.....to think deeply about and to continually fill our minds with, what is good.
We become like the things on which we reflect.

True...honest
Noble...honorable, inspiring us to do the best.
Just.... right and fair.
Pure...acceptable to God.
Lovely.... attractive and inspiring.
Good report.....winsome and gracious.
Virtue.... superior character.
Praiseworthy.... excellent, commendable.

Do these things and God will be with you!!!

The answer to anxiety is....

"Be Anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God, and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus."(Phil. 4:6-7)

We are not to worry. Paul is reflecting Jesus' own counsel (Matt.6:25-34). To worry is to doubt God's ability to help us.

Remember.... 2 Cor. 10:4-5
4 For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal but mighty in God for pulling down strongholds,
5 casting down arguments and every high thing that exalts itself against the knowledge of God, bringing every thought into captivity to the obedience of Christ.

Now in Phil., we are counseled to tell God our needs and then in 2 Cor., we take captive the thoughts like anxiety, doubt, so forth the arguments that are trying to exalt against the knowledge of that which Christ has given us.

Then we can think upon and thank God for our past blessings! Because we know that He will answer our requests.
And then the peace of God's own being, which He shares with us, will guard our emotions and thoughts.....

Blessings...

Excellent reply! Thank you for posting it.

Bud

Old 01-15-2010, 02:15 AM

696 posts, read 915,020 times
Quote:
I am going to ask you once again;

What is true?
What is lovely?
What is of good repute?
What is pure?

List somethings that come to mind.

For instance Gold is pure, a diamond is pure, God is pure...water can be pure.

What else people?
Im sorry Raelyn I think I misread your post. When you emailed me I came back to it, but honestly I could still point to Ezekiel. That verse speaks of what Christ did for me. It's a bit hard to see it as it is a judgement, but as you now I tend to see beyond the easy definitions LOL.

True? The Lord God Jesus Christ.
Lovely? I will point to one word that comes from Daniel. Tekel. Now hear me out, I know the content of the verse, but truely have we not been weighed in the balances and found wanting? How lovely is Christ Jesus for his justice that we can now be weighed and found to be gain.
Good repute? A Christian who stands for his Lord. Who accepts no substitute. There are not many left among us.
Pure? Scripture. So many discount it. They scoff at it. They do the very things it tells us one ought not do and act like they are above it. Let us look to it and nothing else for truely dark times are ahead.

Maybe this will be more in line. I look forward to our next conversation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity