Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Daily Journals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2017, 11:33 AM

308 posts, read 211,859 times

Advertisements

(I don't know if this sub-forum would be the proper one to post this on,so Mods;move it if you must)

I have been wearing glasses since I was 6 years old,the thick Coke -bottle type.My condition was called Myopia.
When I was 16 I started wearing hard contact lenses.A few years ago I was told by an ophthalmologist that I have keratoconus and that other than corneal transplants or implants I would have to wear hard contact lenses for the rest of my life to be able to see.
I basically don't remember all those years ago(I'm 61 now)having a hard time getting used to the hard lenses,plus I always had a spare set of coke-bottle thick glasses that I would wear only at night to be able to remove the lenses.
A few years ago I had a new pair of eyeglasses made at the most prestigious eye-care center in Miami,and
it was a total waste of money....My vision was almost as blurry as if I didn't wear the glasses.
The reasoning was that my keratoconus had progressed to the point that only the flattening of my corneas
with the hard lenses would allow me to carry on normally.
So what happens now is that I rarely if ever take out my contact lenses. If I don't wear my lenses all I can do when I get home from work is lie on the bed and fall asleep....I can't watch TV,read the computer or books,
even walking around the apartment is risky as my life is basically a blur.

I haven't changed my contact lenses in almost 5 years and haven't seen my ophthalmologist in almost 2 years. My eyesight is suffering as I need to get closer and closer to the computer monitor and I'm having
a hard time driving at night(I also have cataracts in one eye ).I'm afraid that at one point there won't be any further help for me even with the hard lenses and will have to resort to unaffordable and risky surgeries.

I know this can't be good for me...Has anybody here had a similar experience or excuse for what I'm admitting to here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2017, 07:48 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,038,253 times
This doctor is an expert with keratoconus. He has performed some near-miracles for keratoconus cases that were very far advanced. I have personally consulted him for a different issue, and will say that he is kind, down-to-earth and highly skilled. He is in California, but people with keratoconus fly from all over the US and other countries to see him. Please, please contact him.

Boxer Wachler Vision Institute
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Daily Journals