Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness > Daily Exercise Journals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2008, 03:03 PM

1,869 posts, read 4,032,468 times

Advertisements

my brother is an ultra-marathoner. Have you done any marathons or plan on it in your future?

Old 09-22-2008, 05:09 AM

1,242 posts, read 2,465,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoymonkey View Post
my brother is an ultra-marathoner. Have you done any marathons or plan on it in your future?
In the future, yes. But as of right now no because marathons require a different type of training, and I am training for the 8k and 10k.

Well, ran the full 10 miles yesterday. I was actually shocked that I did it, I thought I would slack off and turn around. But I helped myself prepare for it mentally and I got through it. The last mile or so I walked quite a bit...I was dying by that time and I am not used to running 10 mile runs anymore. I am feeling it this morning.

Today will be a seven mile run, with added hill work for benefit.

Old 09-22-2008, 05:14 AM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 19,311,258 times
That's a big hurdle - 10 miles. Congratulations!

Old 09-22-2008, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomoresnow View Post
That's a big hurdle - 10 miles. Congratulations!
Yes, quite. I have done it plenty of times. I've ran sixteen miles straight before. But I haven't ran it in so long that it was a big hurdle to go through yesterday. But it only makes me stronger. When I run the same run next Sunday, I expect it to be much easier and a little faster, and probably less taxing on the legs. That is the hope, anyway. Part of running is finding a good balance between improvement and wearing yourself out. It is hard to wear yourself out in the beginning, you only improve. So the goal is to run hard in these first couple of weeks to catch up to the team, and then slow it down for a bit until December when I will go full out training for track season.

Edit-Like I said, I will be running a seven mile run today. Part of this seven mile course includes a three mile (5 kilometer) race course where we held all our home meets in high school cross country. I'm almost tempted to time myself, just to see what I can potentially do. I can't imagine running anything under 20 minutes, but I am curious to see where these last two weeks of training have gotten me. Also, running at race pace for an extended amount of miles helps further develop the fast twitch muscles needed to run fast at races.

Last edited by AaronK; 09-22-2008 at 12:44 PM..

Old 09-22-2008, 03:26 PM

The seven mile run did not go nearly as planned.... My legs feel dead tired from yesterdays ten mile run. I got about 3.5 into it when I crashed. I walked the rest of the way home, and quite frankly I was in a little bit of pain. I am over working myself a little I think, so that walk home was probably what I needed to really recover my muscles. I'm going to go at it again tomorrow, this time a little bit shorter of a run. I have surgery tomorrow afternoon so I *may* need to take off Wednesday.

Old 09-23-2008, 05:16 AM

Best of luck w/your surgery. I hope it's nothing serious.

Old 09-23-2008, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomoresnow View Post
Best of luck w/your surgery. I hope it's nothing serious.
Nah it is the final surgery in a long process of surgeries to fix my mouth cosmetically. I was born with a cleft lip and pallet so I've had some issues with that over the years. Basically I'm getting a tooth replacement put in to replace a tooth they had to use to reconstruct my pallet. I don't know how all that really works...

Today is going to be a very short and relaxing 4 mile run to my local rec center and back. I've done the run a million times before, and it isn't too bad.

After that, I get to have my last surgery done and hopefully I'll get these damn braces off in a month.

Edit- The real fun starts on Thursday, when I begin practice with the cross country team. I shudder to think about what they are going to do with me... Most of these kids have been running for the last two years and are in very good shape. I on the other hand, am not.

Old 09-23-2008, 07:33 AM

You will be.

Old 09-23-2008, 09:33 AM

Ran five miles today at a very brisk pace. I feel great, sweating like crazy though and I'm very sore. Surgery will be this afternoon at 1, and I'm hoping I'll be able to run tomorrow but I don't want to risk anything so I will have to see.

Old 09-24-2008, 12:05 PM

Surgery was a breeze...didn't hurt at all. Today I will be doing another 10 miler. My legs feel awesome, and I am burning a lot of fat. We'll see how or if I complete the run. I know I will though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness > Daily Exercise Journals