Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2023, 11:38 PM

16,604 posts, read 8,625,712 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
I don't drink alcohol anymore, but when I did I avoided hangovers by simply drinking a glass of water before starting to drink alcohol and then another glass of water at every hour interval. The main cause of hangovers is dehydration and alcohol does just that.

As for lowering the blood alcohol amount, does this extends to actually reducing the effects of alcohol in things like judgement and reflexes or it will simply be a cheat sheet that can fool the alcohol meters used by cops in what otherwise would be a DUI stop?
Good point.

When I had passed a kidney stone, my MD said I needed to drink 3 glasses of water for every beer/drink I consumed, to remain healthy.
Rest assured my regular barkeep thought I was nuts, but gained respect after he served me 3 drinks of booze at the end of the night, having had 9 glasses of water in-between.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2023, 02:49 AM

61,751 posts, read 87,217,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawa1992 View Post
There are going to be people who get drunk, drink this, and still end up with a DUI.
...and sue the manufacture, or bars/stores selling it.

Old 11-09-2023, 04:45 AM

16,283 posts, read 10,427,990 times
Quote:
There are going to be people who get drunk, drink this, and still end up with a DUI.

When I opened the link that was what I thought they were targeting, people who don't want to get a DWI. They could sell it in bars at a huge profit. If it lowers the blood alcohol level, which I don't think it actually does, would that not mean they would not fail a roadside test?

Old 11-09-2023, 06:34 AM
KCZ

4,678 posts, read 3,674,811 times
People with liver disease or recovering alcoholics will now think it's OK to drink this, and I don't imagine the manufacturer is going to tell them otherwise. Besides this type of stuff, there are plenty of companies now that make "alcohol alternatives," for example a non-alcoholic liquid flavored with juniper that's supposed to impart the taste of gin to cocktails. I actually want to try one of the non-alcoholic tequila-tasting ones to see if I can make a decent tasting margarita.

Old 11-09-2023, 09:09 AM

17,208 posts, read 15,428,659 times
I would hope that if one chooses to be a drinker, by a certain age, say... no later than some point in their 30s, they would have fully figured out how to avoid getting hangovers? I mean, who wants that?

I'd occasionally get those when I was in my early 20s, if only because I did not know "how" to drink, and would sometimes get hammered. Being that drunk, and the morning after feeling, are both awful feelings.

It didn't take all that far into adulthood to figure out that there is such a thing as limits, and you should be able to gauge that before getting into obliteration.

Last edited by Arcenal813; 11-09-2023 at 10:36 AM..

Old 11-09-2023, 10:05 AM

32,663 posts, read 48,091,772 times
I'm a bit suspicious of it. However, people will try it and if it works, then word gets around and it will sell. The sales pitch sounds exactly like the sales pitch for miracle diet pills: eat all you want and still lose weight. Drink all you want and still drive safely and don't damage your liver.

it seems to me that people who drink to excess want the feeling of being drunk, so it is a bit less likely that they will use anything that removes that feeling, after they have spent so much money to get to feel that way.

Old 11-09-2023, 10:45 AM

27,231 posts, read 43,984,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
Can't wait to find out what the side effects will be.

This is what I love about humans. Always trying to eat our cake and have it, too.

What I can't figure out is why someone would want to drink more with less effect.

Fixed it for you...."This is what I love about Americans. Always trying to eat our cake and have it, too."

Old 11-09-2023, 11:00 AM

10,352 posts, read 8,578,998 times
Quote:
Yeah I wonder how it affects your behavior and reactions. Does it just cover the measurement or the effects?

Old 11-09-2023, 11:01 AM

12,047 posts, read 8,436,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Fixed it for you...."This is what I love about Americans. Always trying to eat our cake and have it, too."
Wait a minute. You're trying to tell me that Americans are the only people in the world who want something to excess without consequences?

That seems worth rethinking. I believe it's a facet of human behavior. Particularly of our young and inexperienced.

Old 11-09-2023, 11:07 AM

10,352 posts, read 8,578,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
Wait a minute. You're trying to tell me that Americans are the only people in the world who want something to excess without consequences?

That seems worth rethinking. I believe it's a facet of human behavior. Particularly of our young and inexperienced.
I agree. It’s not only Americans, but probably more likely to be Americans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events