Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2023, 05:56 PM

29,739 posts, read 34,357,220 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post

The only real way to deal with it is to train the child how to deal with it. If the kid stops being a victim, then the bullying stops.
As someone who was picked on a bit in school, I always hated this advice so much. Not only are these people making you miserable, but *you* have to suck it up and let them tire themselves out. They didn't get punished or learned to be better people, and I'm stuck with a little bit of psychological trauma.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2023, 06:48 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 2 days ago)

35,588 posts, read 17,927,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
As someone who was picked on a bit in school, I always hated this advice so much. Not only are these people making you miserable, but *you* have to suck it up and let them tire themselves out. They didn't get punished or learned to be better people, and I'm stuck with a little bit of psychological trauma.
I see both sides. Sometimes, kids get picked on because they're just the one the bully chose. For who knows why. And that child isn't bullied in other situations - at scouts, at soccer, in extended family gatherings, etc. In that case removing the child from contact with the bully and threatening the bully with severe consequences for initiating contact tends to work.

In other cases, a child is bullied in virtually every setting they're in, and so arming the child with new behaviors that don't attract bullying is the thing to do. Often you can just watch a child, and clearly see the behaviors that are leading to him being picked on. Practicing role playing social interactions with the child so they can better navigate peer relationships and interactions can be extremely helpful in those cases.

Old 02-08-2023, 07:13 PM

17,349 posts, read 16,485,995 times
The mother has done nothing to help her son. She is now facing prison, her son no longer has his mom there for moral support and this will not help this kid to socially fit in anywhere. He's now the awkward kid with the psycho mom. Nice.

And there is another kid left with significant injuries. She is extremely lucky that she didn't kill him.

Old 02-08-2023, 11:21 PM

979 posts, read 538,618 times
Bully got what was coming to him and then some it sounds like. Me personally I would've confronted the school principal and parent of the bully. Just seems like the right thing to do instead of going all vigilante.

Old 02-09-2023, 02:25 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,957,812 times
Hopes she gets charged with attempted murder as this was premeditated. There are more civilized ways to handle things that running over some little kid.

Old 02-09-2023, 03:37 AM

10,443 posts, read 4,030,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
I totally sympathize with her.

As we have seen in multiple incidents, students that were being viciously bullied were ignored by the school and their parents felt helpless at not being able to (or not wanting to) do anything. Sometimes these bullied students kill themselves.

I care not how young these bullies are, they can be just as vicious or more so than people much older than them. I'm certainly not condoning violence, but I certainly do understand how people like this mother felt. We live in different times these days.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime...skbar#comments
She should have just called the cops and made a police report. Once that stuff starts hitting a kid's record, it usually straightens them out, or at least gives alerts to the authorities that this kid is a potential sociopath or psychopath. Her running him over isn't exactly going to do her child any good.

Old 02-09-2023, 04:54 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,556,099 times
If she's going to try to pursue the story as told in the second posted article, trading in her lease for a new car right after the attack wasn't a very good move was it? Woman is an idiot but I can see what drove her. Schools protect bullies more than victims. . Kid's life is most likely pretty much ruined for the remainder of his school years. Hope he can overcome it as an adult.

My niece was a chubby girl and bullied all through her school years, especially junior high. My sister and her husband tried so hard to get the school to take responsibility. This was in the early 2000s. There was a boy who daily would approach her from behind and grab her breasts and squeeze then run off with his gang. Sexual assault, in other words. She complained to the counselor, the principle, her parents. Her parents went to the school. The boy continued to grab her daily. Finally she took matters into her own hands and was ready and jabbed him in the ribs when he did it, hard enough to leave a bruise. He cried to his parents and the authorities and she was suspended for 3 days for violence against another student.

I don't know why schools protect bullies. Easier to prosecute the victims I suppose.

Old 02-09-2023, 06:21 AM

2,208 posts, read 1,318,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Yup.

And in fairness, I don't know what that long-ago source for the article about my SIL was, either.
That was so scary. Luckily, your SIL's two kids were unharmed. I guess the 14-year-old was not locked up afterwards then.
This reminded me of a recent case, where the attacker was never formally diagnosed a schizo, is found by the court not criminally responsible for killing her sister.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...kill-1.6641169

Old 02-09-2023, 06:23 AM

2,281 posts, read 1,581,021 times
The mom should have thought instead of going to jail, paying a fine, the bullies' medical expenses, and possibly losing her job, she could have hired an older stronger teen anonymously to threaten these bullies. A concept I learned from my boss back in the day, "keep your hands clean."
She may have seen too many Soprano's episodes.

Last edited by frankrj; 02-09-2023 at 06:49 AM..

Old 02-09-2023, 06:56 AM

17,349 posts, read 16,485,995 times
The mom could have:

1) Talked to the principal/staff at the school to see if there was a way to keep these bullies away from her son. Maybe transfer the bullies to online study hall where they could complete out their classes online if they can't control themselves in the classroom around their peers.

2) The mom could have contacted the parents of these bullies and asked for assistance with ratcheting down the teasing before it went too far.

3)The mom could have transferred her son to a different school. Maybe enrolled him in a martial arts class to teach him self defense and fitness. A gym where he could work out regularly would also have been a positive step. Some counseling to work on self esteem and how to stick up for himself and communicate with others would also have been a positive step.

4) The mom could have taken her kid out of that school and had him do distance learning from home and/or homeschooling if that was an option.

5) The mom could have made a police report if the bullying had already escalated to a criminal degree - online harrassment, stalking, threats, etc.

Bringing weapons to a coffee shop parking lot and then running over one of the teenage bullies multiple times with her car was about the worst thing she could have done.

Last edited by springfieldva; 02-09-2023 at 07:59 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events