Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2024, 03:36 PM

6,412 posts, read 3,128,516 times

Advertisements

I just bought a new Sony "smart" TV, to replace an older unit whose screen was developing a "dark spot". I got it plugged in and more of less "set-up". My wife called me back, to point out the audio and video are out of sync. She was taking a text from one of her friends, a minute later, and mentioned it to her. The friend texted back that she has the same issue, too.

Is this a characteristic of smart TVs, or is there something I might have missed, in the set-up? FWIW, I'm currently working off of a "cable TV" feed....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2024, 04:23 PM

109 posts, read 57,211 times
Does it happen on all channels, or just particular ones?
Do you have your cable box plugged in directly to your television, or does it feed through a surround sound system, sound bar, etc? What brand / model of cable box and any other gear and how is it connected (HDMI cable, digital audio...)?
From Sony: https://www.sony.com/electronics/sup...icles/00026069

Old 02-02-2024, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_G View Post
Do you have your cable box plugged in directly to your television, or does it feed through a surround sound system, sound bar, etc? What brand / model of cable box and any other gear and how is it connected (HDMI cable, digital audio...)?
From Sony: https://www.sony.com/electronics/sup...icles/00026069
I appreciate the information, as I'm quite good with "mechanical stuff", but electronic things baffle and frustrate me. I have a 'Technicolor' brand cable box, provided by Spectrum, which is fed by coax cable throughout the house. The cable box then feeds the TV through an HDMI cable. There are no other audio "enhancements", as I don't have the room for anything else. (the TV is located in a bedroom armoire)

I bought this new TV in preparation for possibly switching to "internet TV", so I may not want to spend a lot of time with this, but on the other hand, my wife's "mental well being" hinges on her ability to watch 3-4 programs through Spectrum's "on demand" feature, and if the switch to internet providers don't offer that access, all of this is for naught.

Old 02-02-2024, 06:12 AM

1,097 posts, read 641,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfoot4 View Post
My wife called me back, to point out the audio and video are out of sync.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_G View Post
Leadfoot, and the answer is?

Old 02-02-2024, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akrausz View Post
Leadfoot, and the answer is?
I don't want to dodge the question, but all I can say it that the problem seems to vary, both from channel to channel, along with from time to time, while watching the same channel....

Old 02-02-2024, 11:06 AM

Quote:
I don't want to dodge the question, but all I can say it that the problem seems to vary, both from channel to channel, along with from time to time, while watching the same channel....
It could be any number of things, so have to start somewhere with questions. So the old TV never did this? Was the old TV connected with the same cable?

Old 02-02-2024, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akrausz View Post
It could be any number of things, so have to start somewhere with questions. So the old TV never did this? Was the old TV connected with the same cable?
Yes, the "old" TV, also a Sony model, was connected to the same cable box, in the same location in the house, and did not exhibit this condition. I have three other TVs in the house, all on similar cable boxes, all being fed from the same router that's located in the basement of the house.

Old 02-02-2024, 01:07 PM

What have you tried? Here are some recommendations from Sony:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yv8g1RpARJM

Old 02-02-2024, 01:27 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
Hopefully the video helps. We had that problem but it was with a sound bar, and the sound bar has a way to fix it. Some TVs like ours have the same feature. For us it was to go into the "Settings" on the TV. Then select "Audio," "Advanced Settings", "Audio Delay" then use the right and left arrows on the remote to adjust the A/V Sync. ahead or behind until it's back in sync. It takes a few tries but works best if watching the news so you have a face.

Old 02-02-2024, 02:43 PM

4,830 posts, read 3,259,357 times
Quote:

I have a Samsung smart TV, almost three years old that does that occasionally. Always has. Depending on the app, sometimes just reversing a bit fixes it. Or fast forwarding. Sometimes I'll quit the app and start over. That almost always fixes it. Two ROKU TVs (cheap ones) do it much more frequently than the Samsung.

I've noticed recently that the Samsung is taking longer and longer to start up, and is noticeably slower responding to remote input... to the point of being aggravating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics