Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2024, 06:17 PM

7,006 posts, read 3,809,398 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
That would be awesome. Both as I do root for them and abhor the Rangers. I am both a lifelong Islander fan, and Predators fan since their inception.
Makes sense, Mets fans are usually Isle fans.
I was at the UBS Arena for a concert in Feb. What an absolute gem of a venue that is. Probably one of the nicest I’ve ever attended.
Hartford needs to build that if they’re serious about coaxing the big leagues. Giving the Civic Center a fresh coat of paint won’t do it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2024, 02:41 PM

7,934 posts, read 7,843,219 times
https://www.ctpost.com/journalinquir...l-19443597.php

This is a rather odd article for a variety of reasons. First and foremost is that this is a marketing team that has proposed this. Not an angel investor or VC fund. Second is the graphic is invoking New England which includes four of the states at the time as Maine and vermont did not exist technically when New England was started. The other thing is frankly this would be the smallest NBA team in the league and to divide it by two places and then somehow get *more* money to build a larger venue between the two makes no sense at all. Why would either state or city agree to this if it draws more people outside of their areas? If somehow this does happen and works well how would that lower traffic specifically? Who or what would pay for a stadium that is only going to be used for eighty two days? Lastly would be playing for this team? UConn obviously is the best local talent but why would they want to play there above all others?

Old 05-09-2024, 04:12 PM

21,825 posts, read 28,202,351 times
Not even a marketing team. I looked it up and it’s one dude. Not even his day job. The logo is terrible. Obvious attempt for press/attention.

Is Hearst that stupid? Journalism is in a sorry state.

Old 05-09-2024, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
https://www.ctpost.com/journalinquir...l-19443597.php

This is a rather odd article for a variety of reasons. First and foremost is that this is a marketing team that has proposed this. Not an angel investor or VC fund. Second is the graphic is invoking New England which includes four of the states at the time as Maine and vermont did not exist technically when New England was started. The other thing is frankly this would be the smallest NBA team in the league and to divide it by two places and then somehow get *more* money to build a larger venue between the two makes no sense at all. Why would either state or city agree to this if it draws more people outside of their areas? If somehow this does happen and works well how would that lower traffic specifically? Who or what would pay for a stadium that is only going to be used for eighty two days? Lastly would be playing for this team? UConn obviously is the best local talent but why would they want to play there above all others?
Someone already posted this hair-brained grassroots notion a couple of weeks ago.
Does this guy actually think multi billion corp big leagues are going to allow a team be called the New England Founders

Old 05-09-2024, 04:51 PM

34,114 posts, read 17,177,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Not even a marketing team. I looked it up and it’s one dude. Not even his day job. The logo is terrible. Obvious attempt for press/attention.

and Lamont was foolish enough to talk about this fantasy.

Old 05-09-2024, 10:25 PM

Quote:

The media will fall for anything. Part of the issue is they never follow up nor investigate anything first (the way you did). That would tell them who is spinning vs who is truly developing.

Lamont's office btw should have done the same research you did before chatting up the idea.

The Big 4 sports, unlike one man unrealistic corps, do not take Ct seriously, as targets for new teams. We do NOT offer a 21st century, already built or at minimum funded to build, arena.

We need to reconcile ourselves to being one of dozens of Big 4 sports free host sites.

I seriously doubt soccer will truly come to Bridgeport this decade. I also expect, based on their past history, no Ct paper will do a follow up if it fails to come.

Old 05-09-2024, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM85 View Post
Giving the XL a fresh coat of paint isn’t raising eyebrows at NHL and NBA HQ. It will go unnoticed.
UConn has plenty of money to spruce up Gampel if that’s what they want. There’s plenty of out of state suckers born every minute willing to waste 200 plus in tuition for a desk jockey role at Aetna or Henkel
In 2024, that is what this renovation is, to pro sports teams.

I do not propose doing the following, but if Lamont and the legislature wish to gamble, it is time to demolish the XL Center and build a new arena, with 20,000 seats and a hundred plus luxury boxes. The cost would be over a billion.

No team would tolerate playing in a not up to standard arena for several years while we debate building a new one. The cities that truly want a team are the same ones anteing up and building 21st century arenas.

Old Yesterday, 07:39 AM

The former Hartford Whalers took another tough OT loss last night this time in Raleigh. When I saw the highlights and heard the crowd reaction when the Rangers scored the winner, it sounded like MSG. Must be all the transplants down there.
A NY native co-worker's son who moved down there a couple of years ago is going to the next game, they're die hard Ranger fans.
I wonder if the refurbished XL would of had the same crowd roars when the Rangers scored.

Old Yesterday, 10:27 AM

422 posts, read 174,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM85 View Post
The former Hartford Whalers took another tough OT loss last night this time in Raleigh. When I saw the highlights and heard the crowd reaction when the Rangers scored the winner, it sounded like MSG. Must be all the transplants down there.
A NY native co-worker's son who moved down there a couple of years ago is going to the next game, they're die hard Ranger fans.
I wonder if the refurbished XL would of had the same crowd roars when the Rangers scored.
In the Whalers final few seasons, the only sellout games were when the Rangers and Bruins were in town.

Old Yesterday, 10:29 AM

422 posts, read 174,086 times
Quote:

It’s the internet, guess anymore can write anything.

The whole article is terrible from using two of the smallest arenas, splitting time in locations, new arena in Enfield. The logo. It’s all terrible and NBA basketball would be a harder sell in CT than hockey would. Hockey live is wonderful. Basketball in the regular season is 100% start driven. When the crap teams are in town it would be impossible for people to care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut