Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2024, 08:35 AM

9,912 posts, read 7,257,979 times

Advertisements

UConn and UMass are going to be left further in the dust due to NIL. If second tier wanna-be first tier college football programs want to compete, they have to get serious about creating NIL funds and getting companies to write big checks to the school and athletes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2024, 09:35 AM

21,745 posts, read 12,888,027 times
I never thought about recruiting against UConn at all. When I think of recruiting I think of BC as the superior school and team that soaks up the recruits to the NE. And of the MAC school who they literally have been recruiting against and are recruiting against much more so now. . UConn Gets the same players UMass does - so it doesn’t matter..it just doesn’t. There aren’t these awesome players routinely at UConn. If UConn dropped it’d have absolutely no effect on UMass football or visa versa for that matter. Just being totally honest, as of now there is no difference between who UMass signs and who UConn signs at least out of HS..

UConn massively over achieved in an incredible way and went to a bowl game 2 years ago but were a bottom 15 offense and were uncompetitive in their loss in the bowl game to another G5 school. I’m not saying it’s the worse program ever- that would be UMASS, clearly- but it’s not adding anything to you school as far as I can tell.

I’m not sure you understand the significance of them being the only independent football team AND having no collective specifically for their football program. They have some vague general collective but it’s not comparable to UMass which has raised and continues to raise millions of dollars for football- specifically.

This is from WBUR: https://www.wbur.org/news/2024/03/27...nn-recruitment

What all 67 schools in the Power Four have, that UConn does not, is a revenue-generating football program.

“That’s (football) the big money maker in college sports,” Zimbalist said. “In the case of UConn, without a conference affiliation, they're at a big disadvantage.”

“I think UConn got half-a-million dollars from CBS for the rights to broadcast their football games this past year. Compare that to what a Big Ten school gets,” he said.

In 2023, The Big Ten signed broadcast rights deals that Neilsen research estimates will funnel $80 to $100 million to member schools during each year of the deal. “UConn is at a very large disadvantage, and it's one of the reasons why the UConn Athletic Department runs in regular deficit," he said.

In short UConn football does not play the same role that UMass football does, I don’t see a scenario where it gets better at UConn if all this money is going to a basketball only facility like Gampel. They can stay in FBS it’s just going to be very weird and lonely with UMass and Army gone. I have no idea how you will be able to recruit anyone like that.ive never seen a basketball school turn basketball success into football success..maybe UCLA at one point?

I dunno, they’re staying FBS and I’m assuming this means they’ll be preparing to leave the Big East- which I think is a huge mistake. But I simply refuse to believe they intend on staying independent in FBS football. That’s crazy. The school is at an athletic crossroads with that program, Jim Mora made it VERY clear at the end of the season- they need money/NIL.

UMass is able to out recruit UConn in the transfer portal the last two years despite being historically dismal because it can raise $500,0000 in football NIL in a week for whatever reason. UMass will be on better ground in football moving forward because they’re near the top of their conference for recruiting the portal and a lot of other things.

All the lower level G5 schools are going to be left in the dust by P4 regardless but you gotta find your level and your peers. I could see a scenario where UConn wait for ACC collapse and swoops in with their FB team or total realignment and they find a conference that includes a mix of G5/P5 northeastern schools.

This is all off topic but would appreciate if my response still stands.

Old 05-03-2024, 10:01 AM

6,992 posts, read 3,805,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanthegoldengod View Post
And two years ago UConn finished 6-6 and went to a Bowl Game. Yes.....it was Myrtle Beach Bowl.
Timeout, hold on a minute.
There's a Myrtle Beach Bowl? lol

Old 05-04-2024, 08:27 AM

11,319 posts, read 18,936,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM85 View Post

I once read a joke on the web somewhere that said with the proliferation of so many bowl games maybe it's time to have one called I'd Rather Bowl.....LOL!

Old 05-04-2024, 06:22 PM

1,738 posts, read 1,159,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
I never thought about recruiting against UConn at all. When I think of recruiting I think of BC as the superior school and team that soaks up the recruits to the NE. And of the MAC school who they literally have been recruiting against and are recruiting against much more so now. . UConn Gets the same players UMass does - so it doesn’t matter..it just doesn’t. There aren’t these awesome players routinely at UConn. If UConn dropped it’d have absolutely no effect on UMass football or visa versa for that matter. Just being totally honest, as of now there is no difference between who UMass signs and who UConn signs at least out of HS..

UConn massively over achieved in an incredible way and went to a bowl game 2 years ago but were a bottom 15 offense and were uncompetitive in their loss in the bowl game to another G5 school. I’m not saying it’s the worse program ever- that would be UMASS, clearly- but it’s not adding anything to you school as far as I can tell.

I’m not sure you understand the significance of them being the only independent football team AND having no collective specifically for their football program. They have some vague general collective but it’s not comparable to UMass which has raised and continues to raise millions of dollars for football- specifically.

This is from WBUR: https://www.wbur.org/news/2024/03/27...nn-recruitment

What all 67 schools in the Power Four have, that UConn does not, is a revenue-generating football program.

“That’s (football) the big money maker in college sports,” Zimbalist said. “In the case of UConn, without a conference affiliation, they're at a big disadvantage.”

“I think UConn got half-a-million dollars from CBS for the rights to broadcast their football games this past year. Compare that to what a Big Ten school gets,” he said.

In 2023, The Big Ten signed broadcast rights deals that Neilsen research estimates will funnel $80 to $100 million to member schools during each year of the deal. “UConn is at a very large disadvantage, and it's one of the reasons why the UConn Athletic Department runs in regular deficit," he said.

In short UConn football does not play the same role that UMass football does, I don’t see a scenario where it gets better at UConn if all this money is going to a basketball only facility like Gampel. They can stay in FBS it’s just going to be very weird and lonely with UMass and Army gone. I have no idea how you will be able to recruit anyone like that.ive never seen a basketball school turn basketball success into football success..maybe UCLA at one point?

I dunno, they’re staying FBS and I’m assuming this means they’ll be preparing to leave the Big East- which I think is a huge mistake. But I simply refuse to believe they intend on staying independent in FBS football. That’s crazy. The school is at an athletic crossroads with that program, Jim Mora made it VERY clear at the end of the season- they need money/NIL.

UMass is able to out recruit UConn in the transfer portal the last two years despite being historically dismal because it can raise $500,0000 in football NIL in a week for whatever reason. UMass will be on better ground in football moving forward because they’re near the top of their conference for recruiting the portal and a lot of other things.

All the lower level G5 schools are going to be left in the dust by P4 regardless but you gotta find your level and your peers. I could see a scenario where UConn wait for ACC collapse and swoops in with their FB team or total realignment and they find a conference that includes a mix of G5/P5 northeastern schools.

This is all off topic but would appreciate if my response still stands.

Bottom line......UMass has been AWFUL since joining FBS and I don't know that the MAC will be the savior you seem to think it is.

Notre Dame and Army are also independent. Yes I know....not the same thing. But you said "only independent school" which was hyperbolic.

UConn and UMass are actually in roughly the same situation as far as their conference goes. The MAC might EASILY blow up. The Pac 10 blew up; you think the MAC is safe? All of college football is likely going to radically change soon. Likely a super conference involving the best 40 or 50 schools. Everyone else will be left scrambling--UConn and Umass alike whose invitations will obviously be lost in the mail-- and there will be no FBS as we know it.

And again........scoreboard. Whether UConn overachieved or not, we went 6-6 on our way to a Bowl game. Your position that UMass is in a superior position would perhaps be strengthened significantly if UMass could "overachieve" themselves one of these years instead of going 1-11.

Old 05-04-2024, 06:43 PM

1,738 posts, read 1,159,531 times
Quote:

It's a marquee event. Not quite as much as the Famous Idaho Potato Bowl or The Avocados From Mexico Cure Bowl and certainly not on the level of The Pop Tart Bowl or The Cheez-It Citrus Bowl, but close.

(These are actual names of actual bowl games).

Old 05-04-2024, 06:46 PM

34,107 posts, read 17,172,839 times
Quote:
It's a marquee event. Not quite as much as the Famous Idaho Potato Bowl or The Avocados From Mexico Cure Bowl and certainly not on the level of The Pop Tart Bowl or The Cheez-It Citrus Bowl, but close.

Though most bowl games attract little attention, financially they make a program .even when obscure to 99% of fans overall.

Old 05-04-2024, 06:59 PM

6,992 posts, read 3,805,588 times
Quote:

Is there a Nutmeg Bowl?

Old 05-05-2024, 08:24 AM

411 posts, read 172,854 times
Bruins game 7 in Boston, OT winner. Absolutely electric!

Could you imagine what would have been if it was Boston at Hartford Game 7 playoffs in Hartford? Place would have been all Bruins fans scooping up tickets at elevated resale prices and feel like a Boston home game.

All the Boston fans turned casual Hartford fans if a team existed would quickly show their real fandom for the Boston team they’ve really always loved.

You see NY fans invade Philly for the NBA playoff game? Would be like that.

Old 05-05-2024, 08:30 AM

11,319 posts, read 18,936,432 times
Quote:
Is there a Nutmeg Bowl?

About 20 years ago my Bridgeport based nephew was in a youth bowling league at said location in Fairfield, LOL! Looked it up and it's still there.....LOL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHW2436 View Post
Bruins game 7 in Boston, OT winner. Absolutely electric!

Could you imagine what would have been if it was Boston at Hartford Game 7 playoffs in Hartford? Place would have been all Bruins fans scooping up tickets at elevated resale prices and feel like a Boston home game.

All the Boston fans turned casual Hartford fans if a team existed would quickly show their real fandom for the Boston team they’ve really always loved.

You see NY fans invade Philly for the NBA playoff game? Would be like that.
Mostly agree though the super easy and relatively quick Amtrak access from NYC to Philly helped too....Amtrak even had an ad ENCOURAGING it, though I imagine much like the Philly situation vs MSG the Hartford playoff tickets would also be much cheaper than the Boston ones at the Garden.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut