Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2012, 01:59 PM

2 posts, read 3,017 times

Advertisements

I was laid off last April from a large defense firm, and just accepted an offer from Goodrich Corp. in Danbury. (Have been unemployed for that whole stretch). I live in southern NH currently, and have a house that I'm cautiously estimating will sell for around 300K. We will be trying to find something in that price range, if not a little less when we finalize the move to the area. I'm wondering what my chances are for something decent in that price range, and what towns would be the best to concentrate our search. Here's my general criteria:

Country/rural is OK (used to that already)- prefer a lot measured in acres, not square feet.
Schools, other than the property tax burden they create, are no longer a consideration (kids are grown).
Ease of commuting to the Danbury area is a consideration (prefer 1/2 hour or less).
Wife works out of the house (fast internet access needed) and proximity to a major airport is one of her requirements as well (travels approx 1 week/month).

Hints of towns to concentrate our search in would be appreciated, and places to avoid as well. Let me know how realistic our criteria are as well- will 300K get us what we would like in the area?

Since I will be starting there soon, I will need to get some temporary housing also. I'll be commuting to the area for the week, going back to NH on the weekends; we'll probably wait to put our place on the market until early summer, finalizing the relocation toward summer's end. Any hints/suggestions for temporary living space would be appreciated as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2012, 02:07 PM

21,673 posts, read 31,345,919 times
The Danbury area is pretty pricey but coming from southern NH, they may not be TOO much of a shock to you. Generally, 300k will buy you a modest home in any of the towns around Danbury, with the exception of the towns south (Redding, Ridgefield and down) where prices are double that.

I would suggest you check out Southbury, Woodbury and New Milford. They're all about 20-25 minutes from Danbury, and all beautiful towns (New Milford likely the cheapest). $300k there will buy you more than it will in Brookfield or New Fairfield. Closer to Danbury but less rural is Bethel. Also a nice town. You can even check out Danbury itself but prices in the city can get high, and it's not very rural.

As for airports, there are small, regional airports in the area (Danbury, Westchester County, Oxford) while the international airports most people use are either Bradley in Hartford or JFK/LGA in NYC. Both are about an hour from Danbury, give or take.

Old 01-11-2012, 02:57 PM

35,091 posts, read 57,224,559 times
I agree with Kidyankee. It may be hard to find a home cheaper than you have in NH. Danbury is on the edge of the New York metropolitian area so real estate prices tend to reflect that closeness. So you understand, as you get further north and east of Danbury, house prices drop. It also get pretty rural to the north. New Milford is a nice town and has a nice town center plus a lot of shopping along Route 7. You would need to make sure that high speed internet is available there.

As for airports, White Plains (Westchester County Airport) is not far from Danbury and there is Stewart international Airport in Newburgh, New York which though small is growing. Jay

Old 01-11-2012, 03:24 PM

21,894 posts, read 28,275,807 times
What kind of house do you expect for $300k? Have you gone on Realtor.com to look at what's available at that price?

I know of someone who lives in Oxford and commutes to Goodrich. Half hour or just over. Oxford is more rural and your money will go further there. I personally prefer it over New Milford, but that's just me. But that's the furthest I would go if you want to keep within a half hour commute.

For maximum value for money, New Milford, Sherman, Woodbury and Oxford are your best bet. Keep in mind New Milford is a big town, and in the far northern areas (Gaylordsville) the commute can actually be up to 40 minutes to Danbury, as the freeway part of the commute doesn't start until the very southern part of New Milford. Brookfield, New Fairfield and Southbury are very nice, but are a bit more expensive.

Danbury and Bethel are relatively affordable, but it will be the harder to find big lots in for your price range.

JayCT, I'm from the area and high-speed Internet is readily available throughout New Milford. It's available through the cable providers or DSL through the phone lines. I'm pretty sure you can get several broadband options anywhere within 30 minutes of Danbury. It is not really a concern in this area.

Last edited by Stylo; 01-11-2012 at 03:32 PM..

Old 01-11-2012, 08:25 PM

2,644 posts, read 7,454,849 times
I'd look in New Milford. It tends to offer the most land with homes in the area with reasonable prices if you are willing to commute.

Old 01-12-2012, 06:01 AM

35,091 posts, read 57,224,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
JayCT, I'm from the area and high-speed Internet is readily available throughout New Milford. It's available through the cable providers or DSL through the phone lines. I'm pretty sure you can get several broadband options anywhere within 30 minutes of Danbury. It is not really a concern in this area.
Thanks, I would be careful though if they decide to look in a smaller town. Jay

Old 01-12-2012, 06:27 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,934,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
It also get pretty rural to the north. New Milford is a nice town and has a nice town center plus a lot of shopping along Route 7. You would need to make sure that high speed internet is available there.
Rural by Ct. standards, but coming from NH it's probably not as rural as what the OP is used to.

Old 01-12-2012, 10:22 AM

1,899 posts, read 3,520,695 times
Danbury, I believe, has the lowest crime rate for a city its size in the US. The high school is huge. GL.

Old 01-12-2012, 10:37 AM

21,894 posts, read 28,275,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Cabeza View Post
Danbury, I believe, has the lowest crime rate for a city its size in the US. The high school is huge. GL.
It is considered the safest "large" city in CT, not the US. It ranks well though.

Old 01-12-2012, 11:41 AM

21,673 posts, read 31,345,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
It is considered the safest "large" city in CT, not the US. It ranks well though.
Just today, a ranking was released showing that Danbury ranked 56th in the country for cities with populations 75,000. It ranks 1 in Connecticut for cities with a population over 75,000.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut