Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2006, 08:19 AM

37 posts, read 261,939 times

Advertisements

I currently live in Northern NJ and am sick and tired of the ridiculous prices and taxes exceedings $8,000 a year for a 150x50 lot. I know Danbury is not the cheapest place in Connecticut but you pay a little less then my neighborhood and get alot more land for your money. Is Danbury a safe city? I was looking in the Oxford area but fear that it will be a little to country for me. Please respond with any info you have I work in the Stamford/Norwalk/Greenwich area and looking for something within an hour of these areas. Thanks in advance for your responses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2006, 08:51 AM

2,636 posts, read 7,436,733 times
You are in luck, I have lived in Danbury all my life. It is one of the safest cities in the country. Property taxes are pretty low for the tri-state area. A 4 bed, 2 bath home on an acre would sell for about $400,000 and taxes would be about $3900 a year. The commute to the lower part of the county is about an hour, and is a popular destination for commuters. The Oxford area is pretty country and tha would be at least an hour and a half durning the rush hour on I-95.

PM me if you want to know spefific neighborhoods in Danbury or any general questions about the area.

Old 10-29-2006, 07:56 PM

Default More info about the area

I didn't have much time this morning to give you a good idea of the area. Danbury is a good sized city of about 78,000 people in it's 42 square miles. It is about 80 minutes by train to NYC, a 1 hour drive to Hartford and Stamford, and about 45 minutes to Norwalk and New Haven. The city has many amenties that most cities of its size doesn't have such as top 50 public golf course, a 6000 student state university, an 800 acre city park, a 300 bed hospital as well as one of the largest malls in the country. Other things that make the city stand out are it's recently constructed ice arena downtown, tons of ethnic restaurants and 2 lakes, one of them is one of the largest manmade ones on the East Coast.

There is an extermely wide variety in housing options in the city. The range goes from a very small studio for about $80,000 to a four million estate on the waterfront of Candlewood Lake. The property taxes are pretty low because they are off-set by a large amount of businesses in the city. The major businesses include Cartus (formerly Cendant Mobility), Boehringer Ingelheim (pharmacutel company) and Grolier.

There are 10 elementary schools (K-5) as well as a newly opened regional elemantary magent school for international studies that is affliated with the university. As well the those options for elementrary schools, there is the Mill Ridge and King Street elementary school districts have their own k-2 and 3-5 schools on campuses on the western side of the city (near the NY state line). They feed into the 2 middle school in town and both of them have been expanded and remodeled to reflect the growth of the area in recent years. The one public high school is quite large (about 3000 students), but offers a wide variety of programs that many of the smaller, more suburban districts don't offer. In additition to the public schools, there are a few private schools in the area.

Old 10-30-2006, 07:59 AM

Default Safety of the area

The local newspaper is reporting today that according to a national crime study, Danbury is the 28th safest city in the entire country and the safest city in the state.

Old 11-08-2006, 07:22 AM

37 posts, read 261,939 times
Default jdhall

Thanks so much for your replies they are greatly appreciated. You have me sold on Danbury being a nice city to live. Everything you have explained to me is what Im looking for and after the holidays I will begin looking to make a move to Danbury. Once again thanks alot for your help!!

Old 12-14-2006, 03:36 PM

19 posts, read 53,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by borat s View Post
Thanks so much for your replies they are greatly appreciated. You have me sold on Danbury being a nice city to live. Everything you have explained to me is what Im looking for and after the holidays I will begin looking to make a move to Danbury. Once again thanks alot for your help!!
Danbury is also a town that apparently wants to INCREASE the amount of illegal aliens who can live there. The Mayor is trying to enforce immigration laws but there are subversive Anti-American forces in the Danbury area who want to stop immigration laws from being enforced. They seem to want MORE illegal aliens to live in Danbury. It may be a nice town now but with that kind of attitude by many in the town, it's not going to stay nice for long.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut