Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2010, 07:09 PM

3,546 posts, read 8,560,415 times

Advertisements

West Broad Street, once you've left downtown, is pretty forlorn and depressing. That is a street--and a series of neighborhoods--that are just not in a very good place. There are a couple of neighborhoods, such as Westgate, that have held onto their value OK and are decent residential neighborhoods. But they're tremendously isolated. I don't know that I'd call the west side scary, but it's definitely dumpy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2010, 09:02 AM

10 posts, read 29,185 times
Where are these neighborhoods in relation to OSU? Thanks !

Old 03-23-2010, 09:25 AM

183 posts, read 633,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelinggirl1000 View Post
Where are these neighborhoods in relation to OSU? Thanks !
The people that mentioned Dublin, Powell, Westerville, etc. are just being really stupid. Those are some of the safest places around.

Clintonville is just north of OSU on High St., but I'm not sure how it is right now (haven't been there in almost a year). I mean I used to drive through Clintonville all the time and never really had any issues, but I never lived there.

Most of the legit areas that have been mentioned aren't really THAT close to OSU. I mean most of the places you'll find in the paper or online that say "Great for students" probably won't be in those areas.

Old 03-24-2010, 10:54 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,872,410 times
Some OSU neighborhoods utterly suck and are terrible places to live. Anything East of Summit and South of 14th can start to get really sketchy. Once you pass I-71 to the East and go north a bit you are in some serious hell-holes. I went to OSU and lived near 12th and Indianola and I was attacked once, a few people I know were beaten bad enough to go to the ER, many people were mugged, there were a couple of campus homicides, and our apartment complex was shot up in a shooting at a party. Also, the "ghetto bird" was in full force several times a week at night. I can't imagine what it was being used for though, since that seems like an expensive way to monitor crime!

Old 03-25-2010, 03:44 PM

10 posts, read 33,059 times
livingston between 70 and high. second the near east of downtown on main (miller, champion, ohio etc.)

Old 03-25-2010, 09:23 PM

68 posts, read 178,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VideoEngineerAJS View Post
The people that mentioned Dublin, Powell, Westerville, etc. are just being really stupid. Those are some of the safest places around.

Please. I mentioned those areas in relation to the attitudes of police there, not the crime that exists in those areas. In terms of crime yes, they are very safe areas. The police in those areas tend to be jerks. Big difference.

Old 03-26-2010, 01:30 AM

5,509 posts, read 11,872,410 times
No offense to anyone who knows Columbus PD, but I dispise their attitudes! Drinking underage seems to be a bigger deal than violent crime, and they frequent college bars and hit on college-age girls all the time. Needless to say I'm over-generalizing, but I'm just not a fan of how the city uses its police force to "combat" criminal activity.

Old 03-26-2010, 08:31 PM

1,014 posts, read 3,585,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
Some OSU neighborhoods utterly suck and are terrible places to live. Anything East of Summit and South of 14th can start to get really sketchy. Once you pass I-71 to the East and go north a bit you are in some serious hell-holes. I went to OSU and lived near 12th and Indianola and I was attacked once, a few people I know were beaten bad enough to go to the ER, many people were mugged, there were a couple of campus homicides, and our apartment complex was shot up in a shooting at a party. Also, the "ghetto bird" was in full force several times a week at night. I can't imagine what it was being used for though, since that seems like an expensive way to monitor crime!
One of the areas you mentioned in your post- 12th,14th and Indianola is adjacent to Weinland Park which to say at the very least is pretty darn sketchy if not ghetto. The other areas east of I-71 you have also mentioned are Milo-Grogan and South Linden and they are IMHO are among the worst in the city. Those neighborhoods define scary in the true sense of the word.

Old 03-30-2010, 11:38 AM

3,546 posts, read 8,560,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
Some OSU neighborhoods utterly suck and are terrible places to live. Anything East of Summit and South of 14th can start to get really sketchy. Once you pass I-71 to the East and go north a bit you are in some serious hell-holes.
An emphatic yes to both of those. The campus area in general looks pretty ragged, but is typically safe. But once you get east of Summit Street, it really takes a dive. I would never recommend that someone live there. North and west of campus are the best places to be.

There's also never a good reason to go trompsing around Milo-Grogan. So don't.

Old 03-31-2010, 12:53 PM

1,692 posts, read 1,959,455 times
Weinland Park is getting better, but it has a LONG ways to go. We lived near the corner of Indianola and 5th and, while 2009 was relatively quiet, 2010 has been hell so far.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus