Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2009, 07:51 PM

172 posts, read 471,198 times

Advertisements

I realize these two locations are worlds apart but I am just looking for some feedback from families with children and/or people who have lived in either Columbus or Traverse City. My husband and I are in our early 30's with (at the moment) a two-year old. We are hoping to expand our family in the near future. We have lived in several places across the US and currently live in Michigan. We are debating a move to either Columbus or Traverse City within the next two years. We love Traverse because of it's natural beauty, small town charm, good schools and outdoor amenities. On the other hand, a larger city like Columbus offers so much more in the way of jobs, cultural activities, housing options . . . What are your thoughts on the best places to raise a family yet still have a life as adults to be able to go out and enjoy the nightlife and meet people our age with similar interests. We love to camp, hike, ski, fish and at the same time we love to go out for a nice dinner, the theatre, farmer's markets, sporting events, museums . . .Also, are they any "rural" areas within a 20 minute commute to Columbus that would offer homes for sale with land/barn (the country feel) but still close enough to enjoy Columbus when we need it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2009, 08:20 PM

1,247 posts, read 3,861,235 times
You could look southeast by Lancaster, which is on the way to beautiful Hocking Hills. That might be good enough.

Still, Traverse City is really cool. Tough, but good, choice to make

Old 10-18-2009, 08:29 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,208,139 times
I doubt you can find two cities more different from each other.

Traverse City is very "artsy", and has a very specific feel to the area. It also is very water centered, with downtown bordering the west bay area. Also, the surrounding countryside is very rural once you get only a couple of miles from the city. Finally, it has a significant retirement population.

Columbus is more like a larger (double sized) version of Grand Rapids. Like Grand Rapids, it has a bit of an open downtown area, with a few tall towers and quite a few nice large older structures. Like Grand Rapids, Columbus sits on a river. However, a significant difference between the two is that Columbus is home to a major state university, and the city significantly is built around that school.

So for me the significant Columbus advantages are more variety in activities due to the larger area, more younger families (by far), better medical care (not important...until you suddenly need it), and a more moderate climate. If you want to live somewhere close to the city but with some land you have many choices. However, to get a chunk of land big enough for a barn, you'll generally have to go about 45-50 minutes out of the city.

Old 10-19-2009, 07:28 AM

158 posts, read 404,174 times
Columbus will probably offer you a little more in terms of employment opportunities and economic stability, but that is about it. Some of the things you mentioned you enjoy doing, Columbus just doesn't offer. In terms of nightlife, you are pretty much limited to going out to dinner or to a bar in Columbus. You can forget about Theatre in Columbus, at least nothing major with the exception of a couple times a year when a major production rolls through town. Museums, again forget about it in Columbus. We have the Art museum which is not all that impressive due to the fact they rarely get anything new and Cosi science museum. As far as outdoor activities Michigan definitely has more to offer than Ohio. There really aren't any nice hiking, fishing, or camping sites around Columbus. You would have drive at least an hour away and it won't compare to what Michigan has to offer. As far as sporting events, Columbus is dominated by OSU Buckeyes so get ready to be a Buckeye fan otherwise people will look at you like you are crazy. Every other sports team that Columbus has is in the shadows of the Buckeye's. There is the Columbus Blue Jackets NHL team which has never sold out the arena. And then there is the Columbus Clippers which is a farm baseball team. They have a new ball-park which is kind of cool.

Old 10-20-2009, 08:35 AM

146 posts, read 335,926 times
Regarding some land down the road, I am not sure what topography you are looking for, but there should be plenty of options for Columbus withing a 45 min commute to downtown. I work downtown, one of my co workers commutes to West Jefferson and one to Newark, both live on 10 acres +.

If winter activities are your most important item, I would think Traverse City would fit your needs better. Great XC skiing all around you, as well as snowmobiling and ice fishing. The Boynes are just North of you as well as Nub's Nob. (Nubs is a better hill IMO). Granted the winters will be longer and the summers shorter. Columbus does have two ski hills close that offer a surprising active and vibrant terrain park scene, however the rest of the hills don't have too much to offer. If you are interested in boating and watersports, obviously the summers here would provide a longer season. There is not much to offer for sailing.

If you are interested in art and you settle in Columbus, keep your eyes on the Wexner Center and CCAD as they are putting on events and bringing in exhibitors all the time. If theater and 5 star dining is your most important item, I not sure how Traverse City compares, but Columbus is going to fall short. While these opportunities are in Columbus, there will not be enough to fill 7 days a week.

As far as other events, Columbus gets most major mainstream acts from The killers, Brittney Spears, Disney on Ice, Monster Trucks, to Hannah Montana, it is home to Quarter Horse Congress, The Blue Jackets ( Hockey - I know they have at least sold out one game, I went to it), The Crew (soccer), The Clippers (AAA baseball), and yes, The Buckeyes. You will find quite a few people Jaded with the fact that OSU sports dominate radio talk, news coverage, ect.

Last edited by other1; 10-20-2009 at 09:00 AM..

Old 10-20-2009, 03:05 PM

9 posts, read 23,396 times
Default Check out www.liveworkplayColumbus.com

If you are considering moving to Columbus, Ohio, I can offer you some resources to help you get connected. First, check out liveworkplayColumbus.com. It provides information and links to resources to help people get to know Columbus, from neighborhoods to arts & culture to information about the economy/industries/employers.

You'll also find information about schools, daycare, etc. Another good resource for you regarding information for quality childcare is Action for Children.

Speaking of employers, check out OhioMeansJobs.com, a free resource that is powered by Monster.com, to post your resume and find employers who are hiring. (The Columbus zipcode is 43215.)

There are many, many people who live in Columbus who are just like you: they are from someplace else. And they love living here! Columbus is a community of great diversity so, no matter your background, you will likely find your place here. Welcome home!

Old 12-06-2009, 07:37 PM

1 posts, read 3,046 times
We have family in both areas. Traverse City is quaint. It is large enough to have a few interesting places to dine, and a couple small museums, and good schools. Outdoor recreational activities are abundant. There is also a small university there. And, a lot of tourists. Sadly, the economy is not doing well. There is a good regional hospital that offers reliable care to most of north MI, but if you need a major university medical center you need to go down to Ann Arbor (University of MI - go Blue - go Woverines)! ;P to all the Buckeyes, just joking (since my husband is one). Since winter can be harsh, be careful of any access roads to any property you are considering. Snow removal is a big consideration. The growing season is shorter. There are many wineries in the area.
Columbus (from the eye of a Michigander) seems so grey in the winter, but the winters are milder. Unfortuneately we experienced the medical care there, and it was exceptional. There are farms not far away, but there has been a lot of development within driving distance from the city.
Good luck with your decision.

Old 12-07-2009, 11:16 AM

56 posts, read 219,348 times
If you are serious about a rural area, Johnstown to the Northeast would be about
40 minutes from downtown Columbus. Recent road construction has made the trip faster, and it is a very easy trip to I270. Once there, it's not fun anymore to drive:-(but many do it). Lots of homes with 3-10 acres, subdivisions, and the town itself offers lots of variety in housing. Convenient to Easton Town Center and the airport.
Contact me for more info....

Old 12-11-2009, 04:27 AM

1,279 posts, read 4,670,134 times
Quote:
You can forget about Theatre in Columbus, at least nothing major with the exception of a couple times a year when a major production rolls through town. Museums, again forget about it in Columbus. We have the Art museum which is not all that impressive due to the fact they rarely get anything new and Cosi science museum.
You have no idea what your talking about. Columbus has many touring theater companies, broadway tours, local productions, an opera, symphony, ballet, jazz orchestra, resident modern dance company, many renovated local theaters, the wexner center for the arts that is home to world renowned performances, films, and fine art. Columbus has very larger arts scene for those that actually seek it out or have the interest.

I suggest you check the Wexner Center for the Arts out.

http://www.wexarts.org

Old 12-11-2009, 06:49 AM

158 posts, read 404,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by streetcreed View Post
You have no idea what your talking about. Columbus has many touring theater companies, broadway tours, local productions, an opera, symphony, ballet, jazz orchestra, resident modern dance company, many renovated local theaters, the wexner center for the arts that is home to world renowned performances, films, and fine art. Columbus has very larger arts scene for those that actually seek it out or have the interest.

I suggest you check the Wexner Center for the Arts out.

Wexner Center for the Arts
I did leave out Wexner. Although, unless there is something "major" going on there it is mostly students that attend regularly and the crowds are less than impressive. The rest of the "cultural" things you talk about no one goes to. I am kidding, I am sure there are people that attend, but the local theatres and production are just not that popular. I am not sure why. It may be because they are just not that good and entertaining or because a lot of people don't know about it. They do a horrible job promoting themselves. Either way, you can drive 3 hours east to Pittsburgh or 2 hours north or south to Cleveland or Cinci to compare. They have a lot more going on in terms of "cultural" activities compared to Cbus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus