Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2021, 06:01 PM

244 posts, read 200,417 times

Advertisements

They're building it right next door to the Holiday Inn Express across from McDonald's. No "coming soon" signs yet.

I'm thinking that if it's fairly nice and not too expensive, my son and I might do a "modified staycation" out there for a couple of nights --- he likes hotel pools and the hot breakfast (assuming the new hotel has those things). It's only 15 miles from us, but a hotel is a hotel, and we need a break after all this COVID. I am scheduled to get my second Pfizer shot tomorrow at Doctors Care on Two Notch, a couple of weeks after which, I will be as presumably immune as it's possible to get. (And when you have McDonald's, Zaxby's, Subway, Dollar General, the IGA store, and Doko Park, what more could you ask for? )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2021, 08:37 PM

5,158 posts, read 7,346,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IM42A View Post
They're building it right next door to the Holiday Inn Express across from McDonald's. No "coming soon" signs yet.

I'm thinking that if it's fairly nice and not too expensive, my son and I might do a "modified staycation" out there for a couple of nights --- he likes hotel pools and the hot breakfast (assuming the new hotel has those things). It's only 15 miles from us, but a hotel is a hotel, and we need a break after all this COVID. I am scheduled to get my second Pfizer shot tomorrow at Doctors Care on Two Notch, a couple of weeks after which, I will be as presumably immune as it's possible to get. (And when you have McDonald's, Zaxby's, Subway, Dollar General, the IGA store, and Doko Park, what more could you ask for? )
Well a Rush's would be nice. That is one of my destination stops when I visit the Midlands along with Maurice's Barbeque and Lizard's Thicket.

Old 04-28-2021, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
Well a Rush's would be nice. That is one of my destination stops when I visit the Midlands along with Maurice's Barbeque and Lizard's Thicket.

Rush's is good, but gets monotonous after a while, in that they have a fairly limited menu, as fast food goes (though the McDonald's menu has gotten pretty slender too). I will alternate between their fried chicken sandwich (Chick-fil-a wannabe) and their junior double cheeseburger, preferably baskets for both. Cole slaw is a nice retro touch, but then again, Rush's is frozen in time (with the exception of their prices, which are quirky, e.g., $3.46 for a chicken sandwich or $6.43 for a junior double cheeseburger combo (I just made up those prices). Their beverages tend to run on the smaller side, ditto for milkshakes. Rule of life in the Carolinas, if you want a good milkshake, fairly good-sized, affordable, with real ingredients, look no further than Cook-Out. They are the gold standard of milkshakes. I always say they are the Southeastern answer to In-N-Out Burgers, making allowance for store design (Carolina log cabin motif rather than Southern California palm trees and airy open spaces) and some of their offerings. I doubt that In-N-Out offers barbecue and hushpuppies.

Maurice's, I think I've commented here before, I have tried to "like" mustard barbecue, but I just can't get my head around it. I don't "hate" it, if it's served at a picnic or a potluck, I'll have some, but I don't seek it out. Lizard's Thicket, I find their food far too rich and greasy, I got salmon patties there a few months ago, they were hideous. They do a nice job with french fries and those little corn muffins. Sometimes if I want cornbread but am too lazy or rushed to bake a pan, I will drive through and get a half-dozen to bring home. I don't believe I've ever been there for breakfast, if I was, it would have been 20-30 years ago, and I don't recall anything about it one way or the other.

They do have LT at Blythewood, in the Food Lion shopping center on the west side of I-77, not far from Loner Road (see my post over on AVS Forum about today's DXpedition out there, very disappointing, being on the highest spot in Richland County didn't count for anything today).

One quirky place around here is Le Peep, I used to go there when I worked downtown. Good enough food, just, as I said, kind of quirky and eccentric. I would get their migas (Mexican-style eggs and tortillas, I'd make them into little tacos), but for some reason, they didn't serve "real" salsa, it was some kind of pico de gallo-type stuff that they'd bring out in a little plastic cup, and you had to ask for it. Again, good, just kind of weird. If you want a good Mexican meal in this town, go to La Fiesta over where Knox Abbott becomes Charleston Highway in Cayce. Their huevos mexicanos with rice and beans are the best, and they are not stingy with chips and salsa, anything but, they bring the salsa out in small widemouthed bottles, and don't mind giving you free refills. I haven't been there since the pandemic but it is on my short list once I get fully vaccinated (getting second Pfizer shot tomorrow) and develop as much immunity as anyone can get. The fried (dorada) tilapia tacos are amazing. They must fry in lard, as the crisp edges of the tilapia taste like bacon (!) and have the same consistency. Anyone who can make tilapia into a "fish bacon" is OK in my book!

Old 04-30-2021, 09:17 AM

My son and I were out that way last night, and apparently they have installed the interior lighting system, because you could see light through all the windows as you drove by. I may stop at a convenience store or the IGA and casually ask someone what's going in over there, or even ask the construction crew if they're working and I can catch someone without rudely interrupting what they're working on.

Old 04-30-2021, 08:59 PM

Can't figure out how to edit my post above, but we were out that way again this afternoon, and I asked the young lady at the Sharpe Shoppe (across Creech Road from the new hotel) and she said nobody had told them anything. I'd think the new hotel would be quite a feeder for guests who want to grab something in a hurry, perhaps late night or early morning. That particular Sharpe Shoppe has a Dunkin' Donuts.

Old 05-07-2021, 04:27 PM

It is going to be a Home2 Suites, this per the State Newspaper:

https://www.thestate.com/article250127169.html

They are supposed to be open by the end of 2021. Looks like Home2 Suites generally have pools.

Mystery solved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area