Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2015, 07:13 AM

12,891 posts, read 18,748,565 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCxpBrussel View Post
When was this proposal originally announced? Seems like it has been hanging out there for a while now.
Last year sometime. A quick Google search turned up this article. It says construction is anticipated to begin this spring.

Kroger likely anchor of Capital City Stadium property developmen
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2015, 07:34 AM

8,230 posts, read 13,350,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbiadata View Post
Last year sometime. A quick Google search turned up this article. It says construction is anticipated to begin this spring.

Kroger likely anchor of Capital City Stadium property developmen

It wouldnt surprise me that this site is struggling now to find a developer.. With Columbia Commons coming on line.. I think any major retail development other than student housing, a hotel, or office will likely not happen anywhere except Columbia Commons.. I would think that a grocery store would be profitable at that location.. but I guess we have to stay tuned....

Old 03-04-2015, 07:53 AM

1,802 posts, read 2,030,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
It wouldnt surprise me that this site is struggling now to find a developer.. With Columbia Commons coming on line.. I think any major retail development other than student housing, a hotel, or office will likely not happen anywhere except Columbia Commons.. I would think that a grocery store would be profitable at that location.. but I guess we have to stay tuned....
I don't think I agree with that. From what I recall, the Kroger shopping center wasn't really intended to be a major regional draw, more of a shopping center for the nearby area. People generally go to grocery stores in their neighborhood unless they are traveling to a magnet grocer like Trader Joe's or Whole Foods. Even if a grocer opens at Columbia Common, another one could easily open at South Assembly and be profitable.

Growth has been stalled in Columbia for a while now due to recession. I think we are ready to absorb development across the area, not just in one location.

Old 03-04-2015, 08:22 AM

1,101 posts, read 1,336,745 times
Default Ya the Vista Publix is past capacity/ no parking for big swath of the day

That Kroger on Assembly would sop up a lot of the excess/overflow customers that the Vista Publix plus the thousands of students who go to the Vista publix for a few items for their dorm room.

Old 03-04-2015, 10:34 AM

678 posts, read 799,468 times
You know it's funny but I have rarely had a problem with parking at publix vista. Many times it's been almost full but I've found a space. The one or two times it has been totally full were during the day on a weekday I remember around lunch time.

To me the whole foods parking lot can be fairly frustrating with its strange angles.

Old 03-04-2015, 12:18 PM

12,891 posts, read 18,748,565 times
I have never had a problem finding a space there either, even when people are coming and going in and out of the store like ants. There's always SOMEWHERE to park.

Old 03-04-2015, 12:48 PM

1,802 posts, read 2,030,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbiadata View Post
I have never had a problem finding a space there either, even when people are coming and going in and out of the store like ants. There's always SOMEWHERE to park.
I haven't had a problem there either, but is has been years since I've shopped there since I moved to another part of town. People complain about the EarthFare parking lot being too small, and I go there multiple times a week without ever having trouble parking.

One place that I routinely struggle to park is Trader Joe's, which is odd since its parking lot doesn't really appear to be that small.

Old 03-04-2015, 09:07 PM

50 posts, read 105,907 times
BJ's Wholesale Club submitted a proposal to Richland County to build near the Village at Sandhill. If built, it would be BJ's first location in South Carolina.

Columbia Regional Business Report | Columbia, SC

Old 03-04-2015, 09:18 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,561,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by truthteller4life View Post
BJ's Wholesale Club submitted a proposal to Richland County to build near the Village at Sandhill. If built, it would be BJ's first location in South Carolina.

That can't be; everyone knows that Columbia is always the last place in South Carolina to get everything. Sarcasm intended.

Old 03-04-2015, 09:31 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,444,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by truthteller4life View Post

Greenville had a BJs, but it didnt survive. It was on the same road as Costco and Sams...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area