Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2014, 12:43 PM

12,889 posts, read 18,744,346 times

Advertisements

I think it's retailers of the caliber that would get people to the downtown area who never come downtown now, and that would be good for all of downtown, from Columbia Common to the Vista to Devine Street, and Main Street and Five Points in between.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2014, 12:50 PM

1,802 posts, read 2,030,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I wonder how many potential retailers we're talking and how this would affect retail momentum along Main and the Vista.
I'm starting to believe that Main Street has reached a point where its success is self-sustaining. I suspect the types of retailers that would open on Main Street aren't necessarily cross-shopping an area like Columbia Common, if for no other reason that space and architectural constraints.

Once the Keenan building is renovated, the AgFirst building transformed into condos, and the Hub is fully occupied, that will be the true tipping point where the foot traffic from visitors and downtown residents will be enough to generate interest for new retailers and restaurants - and if I were to guess, they will be of the locally- or regionally-owned variety.

I think Columbia Common should focus on recruiting several blue chip national retailers to spark people's interest, get them talking, and attract people to an area of town that has been empty for decades. Pottery Barn, Container Store, Restoration Hardware, things like that. Of course, I hope local places open alongside those national brands, too.

Old 05-21-2014, 03:14 PM

1,802 posts, read 2,030,690 times
WIS reports the Babcock Building is now under contract with a hotel developer.

Bull Street's Babcock Building under contract with hotel develop - wistv.com - Columbia, South Carolina |

Old 05-21-2014, 03:46 PM

37,877 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCxpBrussel View Post
I'm starting to believe that Main Street has reached a point where its success is self-sustaining. I suspect the types of retailers that would open on Main Street aren't necessarily cross-shopping an area like Columbia Common, if for no other reason that space and architectural constraints.

Once the Keenan building is renovated, the AgFirst building transformed into condos, and the Hub is fully occupied, that will be the true tipping point where the foot traffic from visitors and downtown residents will be enough to generate interest for new retailers and restaurants - and if I were to guess, they will be of the locally- or regionally-owned variety.

I think Columbia Common should focus on recruiting several blue chip national retailers to spark people's interest, get them talking, and attract people to an area of town that has been empty for decades. Pottery Barn, Container Store, Restoration Hardware, things like that. Of course, I hope local places open alongside those national brands, too.
I tend to agree about Main Street, but I'd like to see one or two nice high-profile retailers on that corridor like Apple or H&M. Both would be perfect with the Hub coming on line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCxpBrussel View Post
WIS reports the Babcock Building is now under contract with a hotel developer.

Bull Street's Babcock Building under contract with hotel develop - wistv.com - Columbia, South Carolina |
Wow, that's fast. Now there are three hotels in various stages of development downtown. Wonder what the brand would be? If they're going for a more edgy, highbrow image, I'd imagine something like Hotel Indigo. More realistically, it might be something like a Westin or Doubletree.

Old 05-21-2014, 04:16 PM

The Babcock Hotel, the Hyatt Place Hotel, Aloft, the Palmetto Compress Hotel - they're all good. The $25 million space observatory at the State Museum, the $32 million expansion and improvements at Riverbanks Zoo, the plaza around Williams-Brice Stadium, the USC alumni center, the All South Federal Credit union building (a beautiful building btw), Workshop Theater now at 701 Whaley, the AgFirst conversion into apartments, the Keenan building's renovation into apartments - they're all good. And then there's USC's developments.

Old 05-21-2014, 04:19 PM

37,877 posts, read 41,910,477 times
I forgot about the hotel proposal for the Palmetto Compress building; that would make four.

Old 05-22-2014, 10:41 AM

Columbia Common is coming fast. No STOP button has been pushed in the Vista in response to the central business district's resurgence. Likewise, none will be pushed in the Vista or in the CBD in response to Columbia Common's development.

Also, Five Points is renovating spaces for more stores, and there's very little empty space down there. Add Devine Street; it's developing beautifully as well with new stores.

Columbia Common will only add to the overall momentum. Not all the people living in the 3,500 units there nor the people who drive in (or take the Comet) to patronize it are going to stay within its confines. Every corner of a very large downtown Columbia will benefit, and the walk/bike/Comet masterplan will tie everything together and move people freely among them.

Columbia Regional Business Report | Columbia, SC

Old 05-22-2014, 03:38 PM

“'I’m tired of Columbia making excuses for being hot,' Hughes said. The average temperature is 'six degrees cooler than Dallas.' (And the mayor got a laugh when he said 'I agree we’re cooler than Dallas.')

"While there are complaints that the project is too far from the city’s business center, the difference in the distance from the Hyatt hotel to the ballpark in Greenville is nearly identical to the distance from the State House to the ballpark on Bull Street.

Bob Hughes doesn't plan to mess around with this development.

Developer to Break Ground at Bull Street This Summer - Free-Times.com

Old 05-24-2014, 07:45 PM

293 posts, read 826,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I tend to agree about Main Street, but I'd like to see one or two nice high-profile retailers on that corridor like Apple or H&M. Both would be perfect with the Hub coming on line.

Wow, that's fast. Now there are three hotels in various stages of development downtown. Wonder what the brand would be? If they're going for a more edgy, highbrow image, I'd imagine something like Hotel Indigo. More realistically, it might be something like a Westin or Doubletree.
My guess would be probably a Renaissance Hotel. I know they took over an historic hotel in Chicago so it may happen there.

But I wouldn't mind if the Palmetto Compress building was rehabbed into one. This one in downtown Montgomery is actually pretty nice looking.

**i don't not take credit for the attached photograph....

Old 05-24-2014, 10:43 PM

119 posts, read 226,673 times
This development will probably be a boondoggle. A hotel might do ok there but that is about it.

There is already a decent baseball stadium in town that sits empty most of the time. Makes no sense to build another. Most minor league teams don't last in a city for long anyway.

Imagine Chattanooga deciding to locate their baseball stadium AWAY from their river. That is what Columbia is doing.

It makes more sense to locate it near the vista which has places to eat rather than an unattractive area with nothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area