Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2013, 03:35 PM

1,289 posts, read 2,576,712 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbiadata View Post
I think Columbia is doing fine. Like every city, there's room for improvement. That $1 billion over the next 20 years for transit, roads, sidewalks, greenways and connectivity should go a long way toward those improvements.

Road Trips: Columbia is high-rise city with down-home feel - Winston-Salem Journal: Road Trips
Those media packets from the Chamber are stirring up some press for the region! Of course, "facts" like the metropolitan population and claiming to be the "state's largest metropolitan area" need to be checked. But, when you pay for journalism, I guess you can get them to say anything you want. Good exposure nonetheless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2013, 03:48 PM

37,877 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvillesc View Post
Of course, "facts" like the metropolitan population and claiming to be the "state's largest metropolitan area" need to be checked.
To be fair, it's been only very recently that Columbia lost that title, realizing that "metropolitan area" generally refers to MSA.

Old 04-03-2013, 03:52 PM

12,889 posts, read 18,744,346 times
Maybe she was more focused on the urbanized area. And I guess what's good for Greenville is good for Columbia as far as getting the word out is concerned. Paying for the truth is worth it, the metropolitan area issue notwithstanding.

Old 04-03-2013, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Maybe she was more focused on the urbanized area.
Doubt it, since they said the metro area is around 800,000. The writer is obviously unaware of the new metropolitan designations.

Old 04-03-2013, 05:52 PM

12,889 posts, read 18,744,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Doubt it, since they said the metro area is around 800,000. The writer is obviously unaware of the new metropolitan designations.
I was just ribbing, although a larger urbanized area feels larger when you start exploring it and don't venture into the exurbs. You never know what's in someone's mind, and people have always used metro-related terms loosely, although she's a journalist and needs to do a quick reference when writing about such things. She should have just said Columbia is the largest city in the state with more than 130,000 people and a metropolitan area population approaching 800,000. That way anyone who wanted to quibble could have emailed her or put in the article's comments section, "But we've got a bigger metropolitan statistical area population!"

Old 04-03-2013, 07:18 PM

2,130 posts, read 2,271,627 times
I noticed this designation as well. Gotta say, it made me chuckle a bit...

Old 04-03-2013, 07:49 PM

3,200 posts, read 4,610,732 times
Quote:
I was just ribbing, although a larger urbanized area feels larger when you start exploring it and don't venture into the exurbs. You never know what's in someone's mind, and people have always used metro-related terms loosely, although she's a journalist and needs to do a quick reference when writing about such things. She should have just said Columbia is the largest city in the state with more than 130,000 people and a metropolitan area population approaching 800,000. That way anyone who wanted to quibble could have emailed her or put in the article's comments section, "But we've got a bigger metropolitan statistical area population!"
I think your statement about being a journalist and quick reference is the key point. Most journalist rarely know more than a Cliff's Notes version of anything related to numbers. But, regardless of the metro numbers and designations of who is the largest and how it is defined to the audience, it is good press for Columbia.

A couple of months ago, one of the city leaders mentioned $100m in Vista construction projects, what all does that include? On Saturday, I saw some construction on Gervais but, not enough for $100m.

Old 04-03-2013, 07:57 PM

Quote:
But like I said, the metro designations have only very recently changed and it's really only us urban stats geeks/nerds who are really aware of the changes. I give them some leeway because of that.

Old 04-03-2013, 08:08 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,559,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSP101 View Post
I think your statement about being a journalist and quick reference is the key point. Most journalist rarely know more than a Cliff's Notes version of anything related to numbers. But, regardless of the metro numbers and designations of who is the largest and how it is defined to the audience, it is good press for Columbia.

A couple of months ago, one of the city leaders mentioned $100m in Vista construction projects, what all does that include? On Saturday, I saw some construction on Gervais but, not enough for $100m.
The new Darla Moore School of Business by itself is $106.5 million by itself and then you add the new Hyatt on Gervais, the apartments on Pulaski at College, the apartments on Huger at Blossom and other projects and you're probably approaching $200 million.

Old 04-03-2013, 08:16 PM

3,200 posts, read 4,610,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waccamatt View Post
The new Darla Moore School of Business by itself is $106.5 million by itself and then you add the new Hyatt on Gervais, the apartments on Pulaski at College, the apartments on Huger at Blossom and other projects and you're probably approaching $200 million.
When are the apartments starting construction? I thought the ones at Huger/Blossom would have already started site work. But, they were still parking cars there for the game.

The DMSB looks great, can't wait to get inside of the building.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area