Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2008, 04:46 PM

12,262 posts, read 24,452,401 times

Advertisements

Since no one liked the idea of a combined Pueblo - Colorado Springs room I decided to start this thread about Pueblo and the region Pueblo leads. That is any city from Fort Carson (as Fort Carson extends in Pueblo county and has a big affect on our economy) down to Trinidad and from Salida east to Lamar. That includes but not limited to Canon city and the San Louis Valley as well.

This is a thread that will allow for all discussions as long as they affect the cites in this region. Some ideas are: the water situation and the content of the Fountain River, The Southern Delivery System and its impact on our region, Pueblo Springs Ranch, Hatchet Ranch, Vestas and Pueblo's newest industrial park, and the proposed Colorado Energy park. But feel free to talk about anything else or ask any question that you have about our region of Colorado.

My goal is that after this develops people will be able to see why Pueblo is still known as Colorado's "second city" despite the fact that population wise we are not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2008, 04:53 PM

For my first official post I am going to copy a thread I had that way people who just view this site can have a over view of where Pueblo is and where it is going and gives us something to start our discussion. I apologize if you have seen this before.

Some of the new exiting projects planed for Pueblo:

1. Pueblo Springs Ranch - That was the an old ranch that extends from just north of the city of pueblo to the El Paso County line, about 24,000 acers. A Las Vegas development company bought it and it is currently being annexed in the city. When done it will be one of the largest planned comminutes in the country and will have the largest tech park in the state, the Pueblo Springs Tech park located by exit 110. According to CU Boulder that one development alone will have 74,000 housing units or 200,000 people when built out.

2. There is a new industrial park south of town that was designed for large industrial companies. Our first one is the Vesta's wind turbine plant that when completed will be the largest of its kind in the world. The Colorado Springs gazette reported that the Springs did not have that kind of capability that pueblo has to attract large industries.

3. The Colorado Energy Park - This is a new renewable energy park being developed east of Pueblo by AEHI. It will be 21,000 acers and have different kinds of energy plants as well as major industries that need to be by power sources. It will be the largest of its kind in America.

4. downtown - Pueblo's downtown remains the states second largest and due to the riverwalk, convention center much is going on. High rises are being planned that will be over 20 stories, the grand gardens project is still on track and will have retail space, condos, hotels, movie theater, and parking garages. They are always building condos. I suspect that downtown Pueblo will resemble Denver's by 2020.

5. CSU-Pueblo - It is currently the fastest growing university in the state. Football has returned in a brand new stadium and many of the building are getting a face lift as well as new buildings planned, currently 3 new dorms are either being built or planned.

Giving all that is going on I believe that the next 11 years, now till the 2020 census, will be pueblo's decade

Old 12-28-2008, 05:48 PM

17,986 posts, read 27,444,769 times
The Dawg is gonna take off his Muzzle;and give a shout out to his peeps in SoCol! Yeah!

Pew Town baby!

You in Southern Colorado and you lost? Call the Dawg! "Say, dawg dawg, do I go left or straight?" Forward, never straight!

Take it from the Dawg or you gonna be 404.

Old 12-28-2008, 06:30 PM

Default Central high school

I finally got it to work. This was my high school!

Old 12-29-2008, 10:58 AM

17,986 posts, read 27,444,769 times
Well, its neighbor to the south does. You've got Colorado City, Rye and parts of the Greenhorn Mountain and part of that San Isabel lake right here in good ole' Pueblo County.

Pueblo West sometimes gets a dusting of snow that Pueblo doesn't get as well.

Central High! One of the churches I frequent is right by there on Colorado and Orman. A nicer one is at 18th and Grand.

My FAVORITE Mexican Food joint for lunch is Martinez right down Orman and left on Polk. You had the Polk Special lately?

Go Wildcats!

Old 12-29-2008, 09:01 PM

This is some biographical information on Pueblo. I post this on threads, on this site, where people ask opinions on what city they should move to. I decided to post it here for those people who do not see those threads but look at this and want some basic information on Pueblo:

Pueblo is the southern most large city in Colorado, 35 miles south of Colorado Springs on I-25, and is the economic and shopping hub for southern Colorado and has a population of 110,000 and a metro population of over 150,000. We have more sunny days then Florida and are in the "banana belt" as most of the major snow storms other cities in Colorado get miss Pueblo, the snow we do get usually melts in a day or two. During the summers the highs usually are in the 90's with some days above 100 but never 110 and the nights are cool with evening temps in the 70's and 80's!

There are many things to do here some including:

1. Pueblo has a decent club scene, we have our version of LODO that is known as the historic Union ave area and the Riverwalk. There are many bars and restaurants that are popular. If you come down in the summer the Riverwalk is a fun place to walk. There are major developments planed for the area and as they get started I will post pics.

2. The Colorado state Fair is Colorado's largest single event and has the most concerts out side of Denver and is in august. The State Fair parade is Colorado's largest parade and a must see if you like parades.

3. The Pueblo reservoir is fun and has great bike trails.

4. There is a nice local art, symphony and theater scene but nothing like Denver obviously.

5. The Professional Bull Riders (PBR) who are headquartered here are starting a wild west fest this spring and they want it to eventually be larger then the Greeley Stampede and Calgary Days. They already have the team finals here during the fair! Jan 15 is the next PBR event at the State Fair, it will be a nationally televised event!

6. We have many great local restaurants from itialn to Mexican to European bistro. I have heard then on KOA talk about how they like to come to Pueblo and visit our family owned restaurants!

7. The Chili festival in the fall is a great and many people attend. It is on the Riverwalk.

8. College football has returned to Pueblo at CSU Pueblo, so if you like college football it is a must see!

If you want more information on anything I talk about feel free to ask, I will do my best to answer you!

Old 12-29-2008, 11:04 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,301,938 times
I am really interested in Pueblo. I don't see myself living there, but it's a place I'm kind of intrigued about. That would be cool if you (in addition McGowdog's mountain of photos) could give us a virtual tour of the ins and outs of Pueblo and surrounding areas.

One thing I'm really interested in about Pueblo is the deserty kind of landscape and vegetation in the surrounding areas. As others have noted, it reminds me a lot of New Mexico. That would be cool if you had some pictures that really illustrate what the natural landscape in the area looks like-- similar to what I did for my Cherry Creek State Park photo tour.

Old 12-29-2008, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
I am really interested in Pueblo. I don't see myself living there, but it's a place I'm kind of intrigued about. That would be cool if you (in addition McGowdog's mountain of photos) could give us a virtual tour of the ins and outs of Pueblo and surrounding areas.

One thing I'm really interested in about Pueblo is the deserty kind of landscape and vegetation in the surrounding areas. As others have noted, it reminds me a lot of New Mexico. That would be cool if you had some pictures that really illustrate what the natural landscape in the area looks like-- similar to what I did for my Cherry Creek State Park photo tour.
Thank you for your comments.

That is my goal is to get people from other parts of the state to see Pueblo who might have never seen it before so they know we are a real city down here lol

I have many pictures of the city but none of the surrounding area, after seeing your pictures that gave me some ideas on what I can take around the Pueblo area. Obviously it wont be with a sky line but that's ok lol.

Old 12-29-2008, 11:42 PM

I found another picture showing Pueblo's landscape.

This is of the new Vesta's Wind turbine plant going in south of town in our new industrial park, The St. Charles Industrial Park.

As a side not when the Vesta's turbine plant is completed, it will be the largest of its kind in the world and I will post pictures of it here!

You can see Pueblo in the distance, the one building you can kind of see is the Well Fargo "high rise" that I have pictured above. Given how that 7 story building looks I cant wait for Pueblo to get some 20 stories tall, will look awesome!

Behind that you see our water tower on the north side then the mountains in the distance, not good from this angle as I was trying to get the construction more.

Old 12-31-2008, 06:39 PM

197 posts, read 796,888 times
Default Back home in the heat :-(

Josseppie - thanks for starting this thread....& Dawg for your awesome photos - I'm "homesick" for Pueblo already.
I spent way too much of my time and money in CS and Manitou (as always) . Guess I just like the "feel" of those towns. We got all the "touristy" things out of the way on this trip.
We went up to Bishop's Castle on Sunday - San Isabel was so beautiful covered in all that snow. We were able to "boot skate" on the lake, and I fell and busted my (_Y_). My daughter saw ice fishing for the first time. There was even a small snow tubing hill on the other side of the lake.
The Rye area is a unique little jewel in Colorado - one that I discovered on my Labor Day trip. I went away saddened that I didn't spend more time in San Isabel National Forest. Truely something magical about that area.

Happy New Year to all !

PS: I will try to get some pictures loaded when I figure out how.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado