Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 12:30 AM

12,262 posts, read 24,454,174 times

Advertisements

I guess it was in violation of copy right, I thought since I included the source it would be ok.

Here is the first sentence of the economic forecast for Pueblo in 2009:

In spite of the contraction in Pueblo’s housing market, the construction sector of the local economy
has been sustained due to continuing activity on several large projects, average annual construction employment for calendar year 2007 (latest available data) accounted for about 4,200 jobs, compared to 3,800 the previous year.

Here is the link to the CU boulder 2009 economic forecast, Pueblo is on page 115.

http://www.leeds.colorado.edu/uploadedFiles/_Documents/Centers_of_Excellence/BRD/BEOF09-11-26_full.pdf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2009, 05:51 PM

2,917 posts, read 4,765,444 times
I was passing by and noted this thread about Pueblo and the surrounding area. I lived in Pueblo from 1975 to 1979, having been stationed at the Naval Reserve Center out on Northern, across from the cemetery. I lived first in a new apartment complex up on far north 7th Avenue, a big hangar-like place with gardens and man-made streams running through it.

Then I moved down on North Grand, to 1402 I believe was the address. The building is gone, now, I saw that the last time I was in town for my aunt's funeral. It was a doctor's office, primarily that of Carl Swartz. He was my uncle by marriage. He passed in 2000, I think it was. His son, Kenneth Franklin Swartz passed in March 2006, lived down in Fort Myers, FL, but was buried there, across the street from the Naval Reserve Center. My aunt, Evelyn Swartz, passed in May, 2006.

I loved Pueblo, the people, the climate, the atmosphere - both human and nature. I still have some friends in and around Pueblo.

I also remember going to some of the eateries in the city - the Star Bar down in the Grove, La Cocina out in Blend, and a mighty fine Italian restaurant in the area across from the steel mill.

Thanks for the pics, thanks for the memory revival. I'm thinking about making a trip up there soon, depending of course, on the weather. I live in a small town south of Fort Worth, TX, now.

Old 01-05-2009, 05:57 PM

Thank you! You should make a trip back there have been some changes, most notably the Riverwalk. I think you would like what he have done there.

Old 01-05-2009, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
Thank you! You should make a trip back there have been some changes, most notably the Riverwalk. I think you would like what he have done there.
I vaguely remember see parts of the Riverwalk, probably early construction. Quite a rejuvenation from the run-down look it had way back when. I'll let you know if'n I head that way. I also knew the brothers who ran Clark's Clothing.

Old 01-05-2009, 06:34 PM

BTW on a sad note the building that the navy use to be in where you worked has been vacant since they left, sometime in the 1990's, and has become a eye sore and health hazard and the city and state fair wants to tear it down but no one has the money.

Old 01-06-2009, 11:49 AM

Good Grief! I was always under the impression it would be CS coming south, NOT Pueblo going north! I also recall, when living there, the speculation that eventually there would be nothing vacant from Denver to Pueblo along the interstate. Looks like that is coming to pass, huh?

A question, though, one I've not fully understood all the while, is why Pueblo West even sprung up? Was it flight from Pueblo proper, or just a simple expansion toward the mountains, to include the reservoir?

When I was stationed at the Reserve Center, one drilling unit procured a captain's gig from San Diego. After refitting it for a year, they took it out to the reservoir on drill weekends. The primary purpose was to train coxswains in the art of driving small boats when they were send on training duty to places like San Diego.

And, McGowDog, yes, I AM retired after giving 20+ years in service to my country. Lucky? Yes, I suppose so, lucky to have made it!

Old 01-06-2009, 12:00 PM

17,998 posts, read 27,448,014 times
I was responding to your signature there by your user name. It was kind of intended to be an ice-breaker, not a negative comment about your commitment to our Country.

It also came with a + rep. Something very foreign to most on City-Data these days.

I gladly pay taxes, vote, and serve jury duty and try to abide by the laws of the land and help others where I can. That's how I've served my Country.

Old 01-06-2009, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
I was responding to your signature there by your user name. It was kind of intended to be an ice-breaker, not a negative comment about your commitment to our Country.

It also came with a + rep. Something very foreign to most on City-Data these days.

I gladly pay taxes, vote, and serve jury duty and try to abide by the laws of the land and help others where I can. That's how I've served my Country.
I thought about the post, after the post. Sorry, didn't mean for you to take it that way, just the "lucky" part. Semper Fi to you, Sir!

Old 01-06-2009, 12:20 PM

17,998 posts, read 27,448,014 times
Semper Fi to you, and the plate of Gnochi at Patti's is on me... if it's still there when you get here. Or the Chicken Alfredo at Giodones Tavern and Restaurant. Or a Dutch Lunch at Guss's. I could buy ya a beer maybe. But I'll have a sprite myself.

Hey Joss: I found something here that confirms what we've been sayin' about 5/30 news;

Quote:
Posted - 01/05/2004 : 11:37:43 AM
Lora, we must concentrate each day on the most important stories in southern Colorado. Colorado Springs is by far the largest city, and therefore has more news and gets more coverage.

Lexi makes a good point. Where else would you get more Pueblo news on a TV station? We have two veteran reporters, James Jarman and Jonathan Bloom in Pueblo, along with Chad Armes (photojournalist). The last time I checked our competitors each had one person. Obviously we cover Pueblo better than the other stations.

Could we cover more stories in Pueblo? Yes. Could we do less? Yes. These decisions are made every day based on what is going on in the community. We also cover Lamar, Trinidad, Canon City, etc. Would they like to see more of their communities on the news? Of course. Can we justify it based on where the bulk of our audience lives? No.

Greg Boyce

A real blast from the past, I tell ya. I wonder if Lexi is still around? I burned my bridge on a local forum, so... it's not a City-Data anyway. I could still go there, but it's a waste of time!

Last edited by McGowdog; 01-06-2009 at 12:38 PM..

Old 01-06-2009, 12:56 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,303,340 times
Is Pueblo the kind of town where the kids want to get the heck out as soon as they graduate high school? Or are there plenty of people (attractive girls, especially) in their early to mid 20's there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado