Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2023, 03:53 PM

8,390 posts, read 7,637,875 times

Advertisements

These "best of" lists should always be taken with a grain of salt. Still, this list of retirement locations in Colorado seems to hit many of the high spots with a few surprises. (Did have to laugh at them calling Greeley "Greenley" in the profile though....)

Thoughts?

https://www.worldatlas.com/cities/9-...-colorado.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2023, 03:56 PM

18,703 posts, read 33,366,372 times
In terms of size, the selections seem pretty random. No mention of nearness to hospitals or public transport or such. Seems like they just listed a bunch of cities/towns that would be good for visiting/vacation.

Old 03-29-2023, 04:31 PM

251 posts, read 203,248 times
I am not a retiree but really like Fort Collins and the surrounding towns. Despite the University, which has a beautiful and very walkable campus, it didn't feel demographically like a college town to me. Plenty of active people of all ages with lots to do, whatever your interests. It's closer to Denver than the "few hours" that the article says, also within driving distance to Boulder if those cities are of interest. I made a lot of friends during my time there, loved the weather, people all seemed generally happy, tons to do, all amenities you could possibly need. I did not experience the healthcare system there so can't comment on that.

Old 03-29-2023, 07:49 PM

17,705 posts, read 29,796,003 times
Every place on the list is a “city”.

Old 03-29-2023, 10:06 PM

18,208 posts, read 25,840,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Every place on the list is a “city”.
Yes.

Colorado Springs will probably hit the 500,000 mark in a couple years. Yet this source refers to it as a "small town".

uff-da.

Old 03-30-2023, 10:17 AM

2,886 posts, read 7,132,082 times
So strange, Golden's on the list - praised, a big plus because it's just a short drive away from Denver. There's nary a mention of the rtd light rail that serves the city.

Old 03-30-2023, 10:42 AM

8,603 posts, read 14,877,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzco View Post
So strange, Golden's on the list - praised, a big plus because it's just a short drive away from Denver. There's nary a mention of the rtd light rail that serves the city.
The W line stops on the far southeast side of town. It's a good 2-mile walk to the center part of town from there.

Old 03-30-2023, 11:33 AM

6,814 posts, read 10,510,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
Yes.

Colorado Springs will probably hit the 500,000 mark in a couple years. Yet this source refers to it as a "small town".

uff-da.
Yeah and the metropolitan area is nearly 3/4 million. Not so small.

As for Fort Collins and Boulder, as a retiree I think I might get tired of the snow - in many years both get considerably more than Denver or COS.

Old 03-30-2023, 03:16 PM

6,926 posts, read 6,931,897 times
That's just a list of cities on the Front Range with Fruita thrown in for grins. I don't think any one of these towns makes for a better retirement spot than the others, although Fruita is kind of remote for medical care. I write "kind of remote" because Fruita is really just a suburb of Glenwood which has some good hospitals only a hop and a skip away on I-70.

These days I don't see Colorado as a place to retire to because the cost of housing here has become completely impossible. Even tiny, remote (really "remote" with the nearest Interstate hundreds of miles away) Cortez has seen the cost of housing go up to such heights as to be unsustainable.

Then there is the fact that the West - Colorado included - is running out of water. We have just had a lovely, snowy winter, but a single swallow does not mean its spring. That drought is going to continue because the laws of physics demand that it will. We can't raise the overall temperature of the planet by something like 1.5 C since the Industrial Revolution (and STILL climbing) and not expect this to impact the only home we have ever had - and in a mostly negative fashion at that.

Can we spell "urban interface" anyone? How about "wildland fires"? Nah, I wouldn't deliberately retire to anywhere around here. My retirement years just snuck up on me while I wasn't looking.

Old 03-30-2023, 04:45 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,044,643 times
Quote:
Fort Morgan has long been one of the most popular places to retire in Colorado
And yet its population is still only about 12,000
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado