Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2022, 02:38 PM

8,940 posts, read 20,364,639 times

Advertisements

Yesterday we were at the King Scoopers in northern Loveland (same parking lot as Office Max). I had talked shortly with the Security Guard there before, but didn't notice, until yesterday, that he was armed. I was sort of stunned to see an armed Security Guard at a grocery store. Does that store have problems?

Safeway doesn't have a Security Guard at all. Walmart (east Loveland) had an unarmed Security Guard checking that people were wearing a mask when entering last year. However, he is now gone, that I know of.

Local banks don't have any Security Guard either.

Just wondering why King Scoopers does and the guard is armed? I can't remember going into any grocery store anywhere and seeing a armed Security Guard or Security Guard period.

Old 04-11-2022, 02:51 PM

317 posts, read 474,301 times
I'm just speculating, but I would imagine it's a reaction to the shooting in the store in Boulder last year.

Old 04-11-2022, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by interloper1138 View Post
I'm just speculating, but I would imagine it's a reaction to the shooting in the store in Boulder last year.
Really don't know, other than that neither of the Walmart stores here have one nor does the Safeway across the street from us does.

Doesn't necessarily make us all "fuzzy and feeling good" knowing there is an armed Security Guard inside the store. Sort of makes us think the store might not be that safe to shop in anymore. Don't know, but.........

Old 04-11-2022, 04:05 PM

6,926 posts, read 6,933,478 times
Kroger's (which includes stores like King Soopers and City Market) seems to have beefed up its security since the tragic shootings in Boulder. I have yet to see an armed guard at my local City Market, but I am seeing very visible guards where before there were none. Yesterday I did some late night (10:30 pm) shopping at my local City Market. This being Cortez, the place was almost deserted except for workers restocking the shelves. To my surprise, there was a security guard hanging out next to the only open check-out lane. Never seen that before.

The security guard was a pleasant young fellow who even helped me bag my groceries. Then he warned me to be careful out in the parking lot. I replied that I wasn't too worried since this was just Cortez, not Denver. The security guard replied that if I had seen the things he had, I would be very cautious. He was probably right.

Old 04-11-2022, 04:19 PM

6,821 posts, read 10,513,511 times
Some of the security guards at your kids' schools are armed, too. That's just the way things are these days.

Old 04-12-2022, 02:56 PM

2,075 posts, read 5,121,796 times
I shop at the King Soopers on Table Mesa (Boulder), the site of the horrific murders last year. I was very glad to see an armed security guard when they reopened a few weeks ago. The KS on 30th has always had at least one armed guard there since the shooting last March.
I read that union members have asked for better safety and security measures at stores, such as armed security guards and additional personal protective equipment.
https://www.9news.com/article/news/l...a-0ceea614aadd
https://www.mashed.com/619086/why-on...rocery-stores/

Old 04-12-2022, 08:22 PM

3,961 posts, read 4,386,675 times
I certainly feel better in a store with armed security than one without. YMMV.

Old 04-13-2022, 04:51 AM

588 posts, read 562,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyBoomers2 View Post
Yesterday we were at the King Scoopers in northern Loveland (same parking lot as Office Max). I had talked shortly with the Security Guard there before, but didn't notice, until yesterday, that he was armed. I was sort of stunned to see an armed Security Guard at a grocery store. Does that store have problems?

Safeway doesn't have a Security Guard at all. Walmart (east Loveland) had an unarmed Security Guard checking that people were wearing a mask when entering last year. However, he is now gone, that I know of.

Just wondering why King Scoopers does and the guard is armed? I can't remember going into any grocery store anywhere and seeing a armed Security Guard or Security Guard period.

Looks like it may be the new norm.
With the stories I hear about the thefts that are happening in SanFran and the Miracle Mile in Chicago, I most definitely feel better in a store with armed security than one without.

https://www.businessinsider.com/midw...me-2022-1?op=1

“A Midwestern grocery chain is rolling out its own armed security force to act as a 'visual deterrent' to retail crime”

Quote:
But last week, the company announced that it will bring those efforts in-house with a new team composed largely of former law enforcement officers, some of whom will be armed with tasers, pistols, and bullet-proof vests.

"We're really a visual deterrent to criminal activity and violence," Hy-Vee's head of security, Jamie Sipes told Missouri television station KY3. "We're there to be an extension of our legendary customer service within Hy-Vee to ensure the safety of our customers and our employees."

Old 04-13-2022, 07:41 AM

1,810 posts, read 898,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyBoomers2 View Post

What does it even matter?

Old 04-13-2022, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ketchikanite View Post
What does it even matter?
Well, basically speaking, the only place I've seen an armed security guard was at a large bank. Last year, while at the Larimer County Fair, there were a number of county and local police officers/deputies roaming the fairgrounds. But, that can be a normal thing at a county/state fair.

Only other place I see an armed person in uniform, with a badge, is the VA Clinic in Loveland. They are Government Police.

But, ketchikanite, when the public sees and armed security guard in a grocery store or somewhere like Target, Khol's, Walmart, they can start wondering "what's going on?".

When I was an EMT in Compton, South Central and other parts of L.A., I'd see armed security in business all of the time. But, that was back in the late 70's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado