Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2022, 09:51 AM

317 posts, read 478,735 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyBoomers2 View Post
But, ketchikanite, when the public sees and armed security guard in a grocery store or somewhere like Target, Khol's, Walmart, they can start wondering "what's going on?".
Oh, just the creeping rot of the American empire. Decades of neglecting social and economic issues tends to yield nasty results.

Old 04-13-2022, 11:16 AM

26,248 posts, read 49,150,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by interloper1138 View Post
Oh, just the creeping rot of the American empire. Decades of neglecting social and economic issues tends to yield nasty results.
I tend to see some of that in my interpretation of events and IMO it reflects the decline of cohesive social institutions (service clubs, civic groups, churches, union halls, etc) and the politics of the last 20 years where nothing matters, anything goes, no one cares and, more than ever, You're On Your Own (YOYO).
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 04-14-2022, 10:14 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,737,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
I tend to see some of that in my interpretation of events and IMO it reflects the decline of cohesive social institutions (service clubs, civic groups, churches, union halls, etc) and the politics of the last 20 years where nothing matters, anything goes, no one cares and, more than ever, You're On Your Own (YOYO).
YOYO, a.k.a.

Every man for himself
Dog eat dog
Survival of the “fittest” (which really means most violent, cheating, intimidating, and so on)
Anarchy

Old 04-14-2022, 10:40 AM

334 posts, read 523,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
YOYO, a.k.a.

Every man for himself
Dog eat dog
Survival of the “fittest” (which really means most violent, cheating, intimidating, and so on)
Anarchy
It also means that the police can't be everywhere at once and when seconds count they are minutes away. YOU are responsible for YOUR safety. choose a cell phone, pepper spray or a firearm or just hope evil never visits you

Old 04-14-2022, 11:21 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,737,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StcLurker View Post
It also means that the police can't be everywhere at once and when seconds count they are minutes away. YOU are responsible for YOUR safety. choose a cell phone, pepper spray or a firearm or just hope evil never visits you
We have always been responsible for our own safety, past childhood. That is nothing new.

Armed guards in retail stores in ordinary places (not previously high in violent crime) is a more recent change.

At our home, LE is almost always much farther away than minutes. That is nothing new in rural areas.

Old 04-14-2022, 08:40 PM

1,812 posts, read 909,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyBoomers2 View Post
Well, basically speaking, the only place I've seen an armed security guard was at a large bank. Last year, while at the Larimer County Fair, there were a number of county and local police officers/deputies roaming the fairgrounds. But, that can be a normal thing at a county/state fair.

Only other place I see an armed person in uniform, with a badge, is the VA Clinic in Loveland. They are Government Police.

But, ketchikanite, when the public sees and armed security guard in a grocery store or somewhere like Target, Khol's, Walmart, they can start wondering "what's going on?".

When I was an EMT in Compton, South Central and other parts of L.A., I'd see armed security in business all of the time. But, that was back in the late 70's.
When I see armed security guards in a business I think “it’s about time”. Crime has been on a dramatic uptick over the past few years. The armed security guards presence has a much more dramatic deterrent affect then an unarmed one. Cops can’t be everywhere.

Old 04-15-2022, 06:14 AM

2,175 posts, read 4,310,162 times
I would think a low paid, inexperienced, rent-a-cop could do more harm than good. Have solo armed security guards in large buildings, such as schools, supermarkets, etc., ever been shown to be an effective deterrent?

Old 04-15-2022, 07:10 AM

6,829 posts, read 10,551,256 times
In order to carry a gun as part of their job they have to go through some training. As to whether they have been a deterrent, I imagine it is hard to quantify the actions that people choose not to take, especially ones they wouldn't otherwise admit to. There have been a few instances of armed security taking out the shooter like that case at that big church in the Springs a few years back. But yes, someone carrying a gun without consistent training in how to use it in emergencies can be a liability to themselves and others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado