Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2022, 06:08 PM
hut hut started this thread

3 posts, read 3,901 times

Advertisements

For those of you who have been to Bozeman, MT, which town in CO is most similar to it?
What attributes make them similar, in your opinion?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2022, 08:05 PM

17,711 posts, read 29,823,179 times
As far as I can ascertain, only Grand Junction is similar in population size.
Excluding Front Range cities.

Old 04-08-2022, 09:10 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,716 posts, read 58,054,000 times
Grand Junction or Glenwood Springs...

Bozeman =
  • Quite near Mtns = 20 min, (and skiing / fishing / rafting) but not IN the mtns
  • NOT a major city, but a pretty big town
  • College
  • Hot Springs
  • On an interstate Highway
  • Desired town due to recreation access (That would exclude most of CO front range except Boulder or CoS)

Missoula and Columbia Falls are similar to Bozeman
Hood River and Bend, Oregon are as well.
Sandpoint, ID
Spokane (North suburbs)
Logan, UT
Sheridan, WY (mini Bozeman)

Old 04-08-2022, 09:11 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,669,721 times
What kind of attributes in Bozeman are you looking to find in another city? Population size? Outdoor stuff? Location close to mountains? Cost of living?

Old 04-08-2022, 09:19 PM

6,824 posts, read 10,520,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Grand Junction or Glenwood Springs...

Bozeman =
  • Quite near Mtns = 20 min, (and skiing / fishing / rafting) but not IN the mtns
  • NOT a major city, but a pretty big town
  • College
  • Hot Springs
  • On an interstate Highway
  • Desired town due to recreation access (That would exclude most of CO front range except Boulder or CoS)

Missoula and Columbia Falls are similar to Bozeman
Hood River and Bend, Oregon are as well.
Sandpoint, ID
Spokane (North suburbs)
Logan, UT
Wouldn't most of the things on that list apply to Pueblo too? - a little farther than 20 minutes, pretty big town, has a college, no on hot springs, on an Interstate, and is desired for recreation access from boating to mountains to the West, river fishing, etc. But definitely has a different feel - SW vs. W.

Old 04-08-2022, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otowi View Post
Wouldn't most of the things on that list apply to Pueblo too? - a little farther than 20 minutes, pretty big town, has a college, no on hot springs, on an Interstate, and is desired for recreation access from boating to mountains to the West, river fishing, etc. But definitely has a different feel - SW vs. W.
Pueblo is NOT much like Bozeman (community culture is quite different, terrain is quite different, the age of housing / age of population is different). I perceive OP is quite young, but really have no clue. (and they may not either).

Pueblo may be more like Billings. (which is quite different than Bozeman)
Pueblo is a bit like Pokie, ID too (not knowing what OP is familiar with or even desiring)

Old 04-09-2022, 12:32 AM
hut hut started this thread

3 posts, read 3,901 times
Thanks everyone for your thoughts. I’m glad the forum is still active.
I read a few articles comparing Bozeman and Fort Collins but having been to both, I didn’t see it. Maybe the college town aspect but the vibe felt very different.
Dreaming of Hawaii — I was thinking about the proximity to mountains with easy access to recreation and 270 degree towering mountain views without being exactly a mountain resort town like Park City or similar.
Dave Barnes — glad you mentioned that. I’m driving thru CO next month and plan on staying in Grand Junction. Will be my first time.
Stealth Rabbit — Is 32 older or younger than you thought?

Old 04-09-2022, 07:47 AM

1,190 posts, read 1,196,067 times
My brother and wife moved to Columbia Falls MT. a few years ago (and they grew up in CO.).

Like a lot of people they could not wait to bail on CO. and are very happy now- being next to Glacier Park is very nice!

Glacier is more spectacular than RMNP IMHO too.

Old 04-09-2022, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hut View Post
.— I was thinking about the proximity to mountains with easy access to recreation and 270 degree towering mountain views without being exactly a mountain resort town like Park City or similar.
...I’m driving thru CO next month and plan on staying in Grand Junction. Will be my first time.
If you have an extra night... consider booking Glenwood / Carbondale as another option. Non-weekend preferred. It can be a very similar vibe to Bozeman (quite near mtns / activities + college, and near a very popular and expensive destination). Being a popular Colorado destination it can be quite busy on weekends and holidays (and summer). Colorado just simply has a lot more people seeking what you are wishing for, and are within a 3-4 hr drive. Which MT does not have (yet). Both regions were quite different when I was 32 . But I had fled the confines of my 'busy & bursting' Colorado home before age 30. (As did many rancher / farmer neighbors... out of necessity due to property taxes not yet exempting agriculture homes at that time.)

That exodus availed a lot of space for CO to grow, just as it desired. (many sq miles of roofs, pavement, and privacy fences). Resultant = millions of suburban dwellers living for weekends / vacations when they can 'escape' to where they thought they were moving. Imagine what native American people see in perspective to when they arrived and called Colorado home for centuries. Kinda crowded, certainly different. As it will be into the future. If you find a desirable place, don't wait, it will change too much if you dally (wait too long). Come, enjoy, seek your next dream, be prepared to go find nirvana again, and again. @ age 32... probably at least 5 more significant / regional moves are likely.

Too bad you are already age 32. (If you have not done the NZ 'work visa' thing for 2-3 yrs)
Too late for that now, you are too old! i.e. Don't wait, opportunities will be missed.

Old 04-09-2022, 02:54 PM

6,927 posts, read 6,937,246 times
Durango - small town with a college; close to the mountains and all kinds of great outdoors recreation spots; lots of interesting things going on in town as well. Durango is also more scenic than Bozeman is, plus there are no grizzlies. What's not to love?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado