Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2022, 06:24 PM

6,821 posts, read 10,512,019 times

Advertisements

How about Montrose?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2022, 10:55 PM

8,489 posts, read 8,774,574 times
Fort Collins is bigger and Durango is smaller but I'd say they are the closest. Grand Junction and Glenwood Springs seem like stretches to me but might be 3rd or 4th for some similarities.

Old 04-10-2022, 08:13 AM

6,786 posts, read 9,337,164 times
The last time I was in Bozeman was about 10 years ago so it’s been awhile, but my first thought was that Boulder is similar to Bozeman due to the university, the vibrant downtown, but also it’s also surrounded by a bit of sprawl. It’s also not THAT far from the Estes Park entrance to Rocky Mountain National Park, just like how Bozeman isn’t THAT far from an entrance to Yellowstone. Population-wise I think they are fairly different (didn’t look it up) but I’m thinking more about look and feel.

Agree with other people who mentioned Durango as a possible comparison. Maybe also Gunnison?

Old 04-10-2022, 10:07 AM

18,209 posts, read 25,843,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otowi View Post
How about Montrose?
Yes!

Two things different about Montrose to Bozeman would be population as Montrose is a little over 20,000. And Montrose isn't a college town.

But Montrose is right up with Durango regarding scenic. Going north is nothing special but going east you have the Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Park. Going south you have Ridgway, Ouray, and one of the most photographed mountain ranges in the States going over the Dallas Divide on your way to either Telluride or Norwood. going west you have Spring Creek Mesa.

And going southwest you go through some rugged country over Owl Creek Pass. Don't forget--a good portion of the movie True Grit (the John Wayne one) was filmed in the area of Owl Creek Pass. you reach it on 550 a little south of Colona and comes out just east of Cimmaron, maybe 15 miles or so east of Montrose. An amazing stretch of mountains there as well, particularly Courthouse Mountain.

Old 04-10-2022, 10:16 AM

1,543 posts, read 2,956,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
Durango - small town with a college; close to the mountains and all kinds of great outdoors recreation spots; lots of interesting things going on in town as well. Durango is also more scenic than Bozeman is, plus there are no grizzlies. What's not to love?
No grizzlies! An often overlooked advantage of the southern intermountain states over their northern counterparts.

Old 04-10-2022, 03:22 PM

1,412 posts, read 1,082,116 times
I agree that Grand Junction and Durango are the most similar. If you want to be more urban you could look at Golden, I guess, and if you wanted to be more rural/isolated then I suppose Gunnison might be for you.

Nowhere is going to be a perfect match. Everywhere is it's own somewhere.

Old 04-10-2022, 04:32 PM

There are lots of dimension of place. Bozeman gets attention for its hot real estate market and those occupying (or at least buying) that real estate. Well to do or richer. Part of the town but just one layer.

Bozeman city has 20% households with income over $100k / yr. Bozeman metro, 25%. Fort Collins is about 26% city, 30% metro. Durango close to Fort Collins. Glenwood Springs slightly higher. Grand Junction, 18% city, 19% metro. Fwiw.

Bozeman is a bigger contrast to typical Montana than some of these cities mentioned are to the bigger front range Colorado metros where most state residents live.

Cities have different layers, different classes, different images.

Last edited by NW Crow; 04-10-2022 at 04:52 PM..

Old 04-10-2022, 08:44 PM

Age is another dimension of community. For city propers, 31% of Bozeman residents are 25-44 years old. Durango, 32%, Glenwood Springs 27%, Fort Collins 29%, Grand Junction 25%.

I'd be curious how you think the "vibe" of Bozeman is different than Fort Collins. % born in country vs. city? Independent restaurants? % who ski? hunt? Views from town? Upscale nearby ranches? Music preferences? % in multi-unit housing? Career first vs. balance vs. lifestyle first?

Last edited by NW Crow; 04-10-2022 at 09:37 PM..

Old 04-10-2022, 11:35 PM
hut hut started this thread

3 posts, read 3,896 times
I'm impressed by how knowledgeable everyone here is! How did everyone learn so much about all these different places? StealthRabbit, I didn't do the NZ visa thing, but I did spend a few years working/traveling in Europe in my 20s doing the wanderlust thing. Too bad indeed I'm already 32... Where did the time go? I still feel 20. I'll add Glenwood/Carbondale to the list.
NW Crow, I like what you said about the different layers of a city. Very helpful. I used to live in suburban Illinois and when I first drove through Fort Collins, I felt like I was back in the Midwest. Not sure if it was the season or the home architecture or the lack of visible mountain backdrops in town. That was not the vibe I got in Bozeman. To be fair, I did not spend significant amounts of time in either place. But it was interesting to see your comparison between the two.
Double H, Otowi, Colorado Rambler, History Nerd, Cowboyxjon, xeric: Thank you for all your input. Though these places weren't always on my radar, I'm glad to have been introduced to Montrose, Durango, Grand Junction, Ridgway, Ouray, Gunnison. Golden, Boulder, and Fort Collins seem at least somewhat well known in the academic world, being college towns. Many thanks to everyone who offered input. I'm not from either state, so have nowhere close to the amount of knowledge you all have.

Old 04-11-2022, 09:16 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,694 posts, read 58,004,579 times
Ft Collins is more of a 'family' version of Bozeman, but any place in Front Range from Fountain to Wellington has the high population vs recreation & water resources.... so it is traffic and crowds.

Western and Southern CO are considerably lighter in population density to recreation availability. (But suffers weekend and summer guest infiltration)

Bozeman suffers from the 'Wealthy' index, since it is 'Montana' and so close to excellent recreation. (Big Sky, YNP, great rafting and fishing areas...)

Front range NoCo just does not have that benefit within <1hr. Plus when you get there, wait in line, make reservations...

Really depends on what OP and others are seeking.
  • Vibe and brew pubs?
  • Experiencing outdoors freedoms without the crowds,
  • Joining the vast number of dogs on trails.
  • Traffic?
  • Crisp and fresh mtn mornings with birds singing?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado