Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2022, 09:41 AM

461 posts, read 547,350 times

Advertisements

Thanks everyone. This has to be a road trip. My dog has issues and I can't board him or leave him alone with a dog sitter.

What do we want to do? I'm a native New Yorker and I've lived in places like San Francisco, Washington DC and Tel Aviv, so I'd like some non outdoor stuff for a change. I have a 14 year old who would rather shop than hike anyway. I'm a foodie, so as long as there's something interesting to eat, I'm good.

We spent Spring Break in Las Cruces a few years ago. It was a long drive but a fun trip. El Paso wasn't worth the day trip. I've been to Albuquerque many times (I have family in Santa Fe) and there's just nothing to do around there. I do like Nebraska, but we've been to Omaha and the weather might not cooperate in late March.

Thanks for the tips. I'll let you know what we end up doing.

jb
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2022, 11:36 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,754 posts, read 58,128,451 times
Ouch, Non-outdoor + shopping = a challenge

Foodie = ABQ and Santa Fe

Or foodie + shopping = DFW area (~12 hrs)

I like rural food venues (such as Ole's, in Paxson, NE), but that is short on shopping (excluding Cabelas / Bass Pro in Sidney)

for <8 hrs...Might need some quirky adventures and seek out local foods.
https://www.roadsideamerica.com/
https://www.onlyinyourstate.com/
https://roadfood.com/tv/episodes/

Definitely have the 14YO plan and budget the trip, we did that with ours for international travel, and they found some very memorable places and activities. We were just along for the ride. (Provide the driving and credit cards)

Our 14YO's would have probably been most happy with a Glenwood Springs stay and day trips to Aspen and Vail.

Old 02-09-2022, 12:55 PM

2,859 posts, read 2,179,307 times
What about Kansas City? Only a bit more than 8 hours and is a real city unlike most of the other non-flight recommendations.

Old 02-10-2022, 11:53 AM

Have my 14 year old plan the trip... I have NEVER considered that. She's got family all over the world and has traveled more than most people ever will, but if she planned the trip it would probably revolve around manga, ramen and sleeping until 3pm.

Thanks for the links. https://www.onlyinyourstate.com/ is a site I haven't really explored.

We went to KC for Spring Break last year. It was a solid destination, but I'm not ready to go back yet.

jb

Old 02-10-2022, 03:14 PM

5,528 posts, read 12,681,188 times
Now I see why you've come to a forum to ask for help. Your list of wants/needs/etc really is restricting. Finding what you want to do -- no outdoor activities, shopping, good food, take the dog, someplace where you haven't already spent a lot of time -- all within 8 hours driving time from Colorado Springs during a time when you might hit snow and bad weather

It looks like you've got about all the advice you can get to meet all your wish list. Take a map and draw a circle 500 miles around Colorado Springs and there's your 8 hours of just driving (not accounting for any stops).

There are a couple of places in southeastern Colorado that may be interesting -- Bent's Old Fort, Picketwire Canyon to name a few. But certainly not an area for shopping or foodies.

BTW, a lot of people at least try to engage their kids in trip planning as it gets them more accepting of where they are being taken to. And it never hurts to do things they like to do.

Old 02-10-2022, 04:48 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,754 posts, read 58,128,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unbeliever View Post
Have my 14 year old plan the trip... I have NEVER considered that. She's got family all over the world and has traveled more than most people ever will, but if she planned the trip it would probably revolve around manga, ramen and sleeping until 3pm....

jb
We lived international while kids were age 5-13, so they did most of the weekend / trip / getaway planning. (including budgeting, reservations, exchanging currency, and they got their daily shopping fix by negotiating with non- English speaking vendors in the fresh market. ) They were no going to school, so needed something to fill their time. I found that they got a lot better results than I when leading the trip. From museum docents to shopkeepers and conductors on the trains and buses... If the kids asked the questions, we all had a lot better outcome.

When they were in charge, they didn't want to burn daylight sleeping in.
It was their trip to enjoy, or to spoil.
They learned that really fast! (It came out of their 'travel budget'). They owned it.

Kids can do amazing things and get astounding results! (And can be a lot of fun to travel with!)

When in cities (like DC ) The kids would take off in the morning and we would meet somewhere for lunch, then they often would show us the stuff they had discovered on their own. (All long before cell phones). We traveled about 50% of the time.

Old 02-10-2022, 05:58 PM

2,859 posts, read 2,179,307 times
So unless you're doing the 72oz Steak Challenge at the Big Texan I wouldn't drive to Amarillo. Not much there for the foodie or shopper. I guess if you add Oklahoma City to the itinerary then it might be worth it.

Old 02-10-2022, 08:03 PM

3,961 posts, read 4,397,550 times
Wichita KS.

Just within 8 hours drive. Several art museums. Performance art groups. College music scene. Wichita Grand Opera. The Orpheum, vintage 1920s movie theatre. Several history museums. Botanic Gardens. Old Town entertainment district. Thunder ice hockey team. Childhood home of Kirstie Alley, Don Johnson, Joe Walsh, Jim Lehrer, Barry Sanders,Beech family, Lear family, Cessna family, Koch family, Stearman family, Coleman family, Earp family, Masterson family.

Its a mash up of Colo Spgs, Denver, and Boulder, without the mountain backdrop.

Old 04-04-2022, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCHP View Post
Wichita KS.

Just within 8 hours drive. Several art museums. Performance art groups. College music scene. Wichita Grand Opera. The Orpheum, vintage 1920s movie theatre. Several history museums. Botanic Gardens. Old Town entertainment district. Thunder ice hockey team. Childhood home of Kirstie Alley, Don Johnson, Joe Walsh, Jim Lehrer, Barry Sanders,Beech family, Lear family, Cessna family, Koch family, Stearman family, Coleman family, Earp family, Masterson family.

Its a mash up of Colo Spgs, Denver, and Boulder, without the mountain backdrop.
We took your advice and went to Wichita, using it as base for a couple of trips to Oklahoma City and KC. Nice small city, not that much to do but we found some good restaurants (Meddy's, Picasso's Pizzeria, Malaysia Cafe, Pho Ong 8, Peace Love & Pie). My wife and daughter liked the people and the lower prices and I liked the relaxed driving and lack of traffic. It rained torrentially for 2 days, which is exotic to us after 10 years in Colorado.

We rented a house in College Hill, a nice neighborhood that reminded us of hipster conclaves in bigger cities, but wasn't as full of the politics and pit bulls that we try to avoid. A lot of the city is surprisingly sketchy, but the parks didn't feel as dangerous as the homeless infested ones in Colorado Springs.

Thanks again for the recommendation.

jb
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado