Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2021, 01:31 PM

6,569 posts, read 7,157,312 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by COcheesehead View Post
All of these have varying amounts of difficulty in getting to them, but some of my favorite towns in the state are: Telluride and Crested Butte followed by Ouray and Aspen.
We drove from Crested Butte to Taylor Park Reservoir, then followed some gravel road over the pass, drive was great. I’m sure OP could find a cabin on a stream in this general area. Cuts down a little on the drive from Dallas. When does the fall season end/places close for the season in higher up/secluded areas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2021, 01:34 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,887,457 times
BTW driving "near the mountains" in September or October means you'll likely have snow and snow packed mountain passes. Also I-70 and US 50 may be closed or restricted for construction. Check the CDOT web site before you leave https://www.codot.gov/travel.

Old 08-17-2021, 07:03 AM

2,491 posts, read 2,712,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wamer27 View Post
We drove from Crested Butte to Taylor Park Reservoir, then followed some gravel road over the pass, drive was great. I’m sure OP could find a cabin on a stream in this general area. Cuts down a little on the drive from Dallas. When does the fall season end/places close for the season in higher up/secluded areas?
Depends. I would say usually October, but some also cater to hunters so they may stay open into November. Mother Nature bats last and can cut you off with early season snows too, but then snowmobiles become popular.

The road you reference from Taylor Reservoir is Cottonwood Pass. Pretty spectacular drive.

Old 08-17-2021, 10:49 AM

914 posts, read 2,208,857 times
It is odd to me that no one has suggested Estes Park. Woodland Park is nice and easily accessible.

Old 08-17-2021, 01:15 PM

2,491 posts, read 2,712,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrby View Post
It is odd to me that no one has suggested Estes Park. Woodland Park is nice and easily accessible.
The national parks are packed and overrun right now.

Old 08-17-2021, 01:19 PM

374 posts, read 564,138 times
I was under the impression most Texans go for the 8 recreational dispensaries in Trinidad, which accounts for > 25% of Colorado's total tax on recreational.

Trinidad Lake or Fishers Peak State Park
Elevation: 6,010′
https://www.nature.org/en-us/magazin...ew-state-park/

Old 08-17-2021, 02:49 PM

3,961 posts, read 4,397,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justsomeguy View Post
I'm interested in driving to Colorado and spending some time "near the mountains" in September or October. Specifically some kind of cabin/airbnb to stay in. Would be nice if it was near a creek or some kind of water for ambience. While I like "remoteness" would not want to be too far away from a hospital/pharmacy etc. in case of a Covid infection while there.

I've spent time in Breckenridge and Vail and really enjoyed it, but both times I flew into Denver then drove there.

Are there any other good cities similar to those, but perhaps closer, if driving from Dallas, TX?

TIA.
How long are you staying, what do you want to do, how far into the state do you want to go, aloneness usually doesn't = covid exposure so how extensive of medical facility access do you need? The first set of mountains you arrive at in CO will be around Trinidad. There certainly are places that meet your very meager set of requirements there. To provide better suggestions, you will need to fill in more details about your stay here.

Old 08-19-2021, 03:54 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,754 posts, read 58,128,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justsomeguy View Post
I'm interested in driving to Colorado and spending some time "near the mountains" in September or October. Specifically some kind of cabin/airbnb to stay in. Would be nice if it was near a creek or some kind of water for ambience. While I like "remoteness" would not want to be too far away from a hospital/pharmacy etc. in case of a Covid infection while there.

TIA.
Pagosa Springs!! (Really nice streams / hot springs / hikes / city)

added benefit (right on the way)... add the great NM northern rockies
Sangre de Cristo Mountains (Angel Fire, Taos, Eagle nest, Brazo Cliffs, Chama RR...)
Schedule it for prime aspen color season,
Also fit in a visit to ABQ Balloon Fiesta. (2-10 Oct) the final day is pretty spectacular. (Mass ascention Sunday AM) Night glow is nice too (but really crowded). https://www.visitalbuquerque.org/bal...BoCu7wQAvD_BwE
Of course wonderful food in ABQ. (old town)

Might as well loop back through Ruidoso (NM Mtns, very similar to Estes Park, CO) and then hit Roswell.

Old 08-19-2021, 07:18 PM

5,118 posts, read 3,426,459 times
Crested Butte

Old 08-19-2021, 07:46 PM

156 posts, read 169,377 times
Colorado City, TX of course!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado