Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2020, 08:17 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,398,829 times

Advertisements

Aspen
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2020, 08:08 AM

432 posts, read 416,196 times
I ski-bummed a couple years in Crested Butte, Leadville, and Breckenridge. Then lived in Steamboat for quite a while.
Crested Butte is still the favorite.

Old 12-27-2020, 08:59 AM

5,364 posts, read 5,147,550 times
Steamboat is now supposed to be #2 largest resort in CO after they complete their expansion up the mountain with the additional terrain. As far as slopes, I think Steamboat is hard to beat because of the snow, the amount of tree runs, and the variety, everything from high alpine to skiing in scrub oak (the only resort in CO where you can do that).

Crested Butte is awesome in the summer and it's more of a year round destination; I think other resorts trump it when it comes to winter only. That being said I'd rather visit ski towns in the spring, summer, and fall though.

I posted this in the other thread on this subject but I'll repost it here as well: The best designed ski area resort in CO is Beaver Creek, which is also one of the newest. It was built off the lessons learned from other areas. It's completely masterplanned: it's compact in one valley, there's few surface parking lots, it's walkable, it's a quick walk from condo to the lift, the lifts connect into a fanned valley without having lot's of cross mountain hiking to get from one side to the other and the forest is actually thinned making tree runs better. It's upscale while still being within reach of middle America, compared to the global elite money pits that are Telluride and Aspen, ostentatious to the point where it's a turn off.

I like IKON areas, Copper and Winter Park, more over their EPIC counterparts, Breck and Keystone, which don't have as cool of mountain backdrops and are more geared towards the visiting family rather than just being on the slopes.

Old 12-27-2020, 09:38 AM

5,118 posts, read 3,426,459 times
Crested Butte is my favorite place to visit in Colorado, period, so that would be my choice. Telluride would be second.

Old 12-28-2020, 10:59 AM

1,027 posts, read 1,972,922 times
So hard to choose just one, but if we count Silverton as a ski town then I'm all about the Telluride-Silverton-Ouray triangle region on a year-round basis.

Winter only: Crested Butte for its combination of great ski mountain and cute town.

Old 12-29-2020, 08:35 AM

6,569 posts, read 7,157,312 times
Telluride, the backdrop to the town can’t be beat, plus there isn’t a freeway anywhere near it.

Old 12-29-2020, 06:07 PM

3,605 posts, read 9,065,257 times
I've lived in Vail (2x), Aspen and Telluride. Living and visiting are very different.

I love Crested Butte and Telluride but to live there full time limits access to everyday needs. Vail makes it easy to run to Denver if needed, Aspen makes it an overnight trip. If money was no issue it would be the Roaring Fork Valley, just outside of Aspen, close to conveniences but plenty of places to get some space.

Old 01-04-2021, 09:38 AM

138 posts, read 266,885 times
This is a tough one. As someone who has lived in a several resort towns across the west, my desires have changed over the years, as to be expected as we age.

My first experience with a resort town was when I was a ski/board bum in 1997/98 in Summit Co. I worked at Copper, but spent a lot of time in Frisco, Breck and also Leadville. I still have a soft spot for that area, due to the conglomerate of ski areas all within close proximity. The lake (Dillon) and plentiful shopping/bars, restaurants... and just in general, a lot going on. It's also only 90 min to Denver (on a good day), which is a plus and minus. However, like may resort areas, that area has grown so much, it's lost much of its "charm" of the time when I was there.

I have also lived in Pagosa Springs more recently. Not really a ski town if you ask me, but it has some quirks that make it fun and a little off the beaten path. We left after 3 yrs due to fear of prolonged drought, my lack of interest in Wolf Creek.. (yeah, they get a lot of snow but the ski area is small, boring and kinda flat). We also missed the Northern Rockies and abundance of water, so that's where we are back to (Idaho). I have visited most of the other ski towns across the state of CO with the exception of Aspen.

My interests over the years have changed from wanting to be in the middle of everything, to having a more low key town, with less tourists, but still a good mountain. Very tough to find anymore!

I really can't narrow it down to one, as I like different areas for different reasons. But here is my short list. (I'm not even sure its in order).

Steamboat
Telluride
Crested Butte
Summit Co.

In the meantime, we now live near McCall, ID where we have found the just about the perfect balance after many years of traveling/living across the west. Great ski areas, still not too crowded (although that is changing, unfortunately), plenty of water, sense of community and decent weather.

Old 01-19-2021, 07:27 PM

16 posts, read 9,989 times
I live outside Vail/Beaver Creek in a town called Eagle and love it all seasons! Plenty to do year round and locals are friendly, although they tend to get priced out of the area pretty quickly. That or go to locations with better job growth prospects. Totally depends on what you're looking for in a town. Crested Butte is probably my favorite ski town but it's very geographically isolated.

Old 01-19-2021, 08:39 PM

11,474 posts, read 11,573,180 times
Telluride or Crested Butte
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado