Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should COLO re-introduce wolves to the Western Slope
Yes 20 58.82%
No 14 41.18%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2020, 01:00 PM

3,961 posts, read 4,384,986 times

Advertisements

I've never encountered a wolf, so I don't have a first hand opinion of their human lethality. I have been followed by a lion, It was quite unsettling. We are getting regular reports of lethal encounters with lions and pets. Lions are solitary hunters whereas wolves are typically pack hunters. I don't know that I'd say lions are any less lethal than wolves, but their wide range and regular human interface would lead me to say they have more lethal opportunity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2020, 02:00 PM

5,349 posts, read 5,123,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCHP View Post
I've never encountered a wolf, so I don't have a first hand opinion of their human lethality. I have been followed by a lion, It was quite unsettling. We are getting regular reports of lethal encounters with lions and pets. Lions are solitary hunters whereas wolves are typically pack hunters. I don't know that I'd say lions are any less lethal than wolves, but their wide range and regular human interface would lead me to say they have more lethal opportunity.
I think the difference is the potential for wolves to pack up and wolves propensity to kill more than they actually eat. While a lions a bigger animal 1 on 1, their solitary nature would mean less potential lions per sq mile. Regardless, 2 apex predators vs one mean more pressure on herbivores and more people animal encounters.

Old 11-24-2020, 12:44 PM

50,244 posts, read 46,997,454 times
If they get to be a problem the ranchers will take care of them just like they always have. SSS.

Old 06-15-2021, 01:12 PM

26,208 posts, read 49,017,880 times
Default Gray Wolf Pups Are Spotted in Colorado for the First Time in 80 Years

The NY Times reports today that a litter of gray wolf pups has been spotted in the state.

Excerpt:

"Only a few weeks ago, wildlife officials in Colorado thought they were tracking two male wolves. The gray wolves, among only a handful spotted in the state in recent years, had been described as possible hunting partners, roaming around without mates. Not only did one of them turn out to be female, but the pair has now produced a litter of gray wolf pups — the state’s first since the 1940s.

The growing family has taken up residence in Jackson County, which borders Wyoming. Colorado Parks and Wildlife personnel, observing the den site from about two miles away, recorded multiple sightings this month of the two adults with at least three pups, although there could be more since there are usually four to six pups in a wolf litter."
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 08-04-2021, 10:59 AM

An article in today's WaPo argues to restore protections on Wolves, written by the man who served as U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service director from 2011 to 2017.

Excerpt:
"Today, an epidemic of cruelty toward wolves is erasing progress made to conserve this species. The government must immediately reinstate protections for these animals. ... "

Old 08-04-2021, 06:54 PM

374 posts, read 562,133 times
I looked up from reading your post @ a bumper sticker for the
Eureka, MO, https://www.endangeredwolfcenter.org

It was founded by Marlin Perkins (host of Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom) & his wife Carol.

My wife volunteered there in the early 80s, they had several red wolves & one litter. There are known to be 200 red wolves in the wilds of N. Carolina. I got to observe the wolves in their chain link fence enclosure & attended a wolf "howl" one night.

Your Colorado mt lions are making appearances in Kansas this year.
https://www.ksn.com/news/local/mount...ons-in-kansas/

I would suppose many Coloradans have seen/heard coyotes. A friend, originally from St. Louis, working @ Peterson AFB, living in Colorado Springs & camping in Nat'l. Forests in that area; went camping with us on the bluffs above the Smoky Hill River, KS. Sitting around the campfire that night, he was alarmed to hear coyotes howling. "What's that?" He'd never heard coyotes before. He spent a restless night in his tent on the prairie.

From that experience, I came to appreciate that not everyone understands/appreciates the world around them. IF you have the opportunity, introduce others to what wonders of Nature are nearby.

I rec' https://lewisandclarkjournals.unl.edu Lewis & Clark's men had early KANSAS experiences w/grizzlies on creeks & were ordered not to shoot @ them again. What a world has been exterminated:

During the summer of 1868 a prolonged drouth prevailed along the watershed of the Smoky Hill and its tributaries, and the Smoky had fallen to a low level. It is reported that on one particularly hot day that summer a large number of thirsty buffalo reached the river in what is now McPherson county. Driven by thirst the first animals to reach the water were soon driven out by others following, these in turn being crowded out by the vast herd bringing up the rear. As a result they drank the river dry on this occasion. This herd was described as covering an area thirty miles in length, and containing hundreds of thousands of buffalo.
https://www.kshs.org/p/ferries-in-ka...ll-river/12635

Old 11-27-2021, 11:27 AM

101 posts, read 134,099 times
Default exactly my feelings!!

You put it right to the point. Why should cows and sheep have more claims to wild lands than what was always there before we messed things up. Lets forget the cows and eat more Bison .

Old 11-27-2021, 11:40 AM

3,346 posts, read 2,195,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSinmyrearviewmirror View Post
It was founded by Marlin Perkins (host of Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom) & his wife Carol.
"No one's seen a gray wolf in Colorado for more than thirty years... why, there's one now!"

Couldn't resist, sorry. For the kids in the audience, this was a signature moment in nearly every show.

Old 12-12-2021, 12:36 PM

60 posts, read 55,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justmyopinion View Post
They have been around our area for awhile; we have seen them on trail rides. But luckily, there are very few and they stay hidden.

I love animals, but voted against the "reintroduction to SW Colorado bill". I know they have done good things in Yellowstone, but this is NOT Yellowstone. About 90 percent of Yellowstone sees no people. SW Colorado is covered with trails and people bicycling and trail riding... to say nothing of the hikers and campers. We already have challenges with the mountain lions who have no predators.

If SW Colorado were still a wilderness, it would be a different situation, but.... people are already here, and as much as I would like to change that, its not going to happen. When the wolves wander outside of Yellowstone, they get shot, and that will certainly happen here. Wolves will be wolves, and they will not mix well with humans trying to hike and camp. I have a friend who is with the Parks and Wildlife and he said, "This bill had to be written by someone who never leaves his office, and knows nothing of the outdoors. If we truly love wolves, we will NOT reintroduce them to an area that is over-infested with hikers and off roaders."
This sums the whole thing up in my opinion. These kinds of laws and reintroductions, while they may make sense in some places, are written by and supported by people who do not have to deal with the problems that it will create. Does reintroduction really make the world or our corner of it that much better? Does anyone really understand the immensely complex ecosystem and how to manipulate it? I don't think so. I think it's just a way for people to pat themselves on the back and feel good about "doing something" when in reality it just creates more problems for people.

Old 12-19-2023, 11:59 AM

Some wolves have been reintroduced back into Colorado this week, per this article in the NY Times. These are "flying wolves" which is a type I've never heard of.

This link WILL get you in past the paywall to read the article, but here are a few excerpts:

Quote:
Nearly a century after government-sponsored programs eliminated wolves from Colorado, wildlife officials on Monday released five of the animals onto public land northwest of Denver in an effort to restore a permanent population of the predators to the state. It was the first release in a program initiated by Colorado residents, who narrowly voted in a 2020 referendum to return wolves to the state. The referendum had sent Colorado wildlife officials scrambling to find wolves that could be captured, transported and released before a deadline of Dec. 31.

Five wolves — two juvenile females, two juvenile males and an adult male — with a mix of black and gray coats were examined, tested, crated and collared, and then flown to Colorado by volunteer pilots.

We have heard from the OP for a while, I hope she's okay. . .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado