Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2008, 09:50 PM

522 posts, read 1,429,948 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by esya View Post
Just because a place is small does not guarantee nice people. There are people everywhere I might not want to share conversation with, and the best way to avoid them is to use some degree of discretion. Oh my, why leave home? In my view, avoiding places that serve alcohol as a main dish is the best way. I guess I don't have to worry about running into you, eh?

That being said, I liked Crestone and would try it again.
huh?

Boy, where to start? I visited Crestone July, 2007, in my RV and stayed about a month. I took tons of pics in Crestone, the locals, the colorful 'hippie-style' bldgs and art, and EVERY spiritual center.
I was in Colorado for some repairs, and went to Crestone for 2 reasons: 1. upcoming Crestone Music Fest, 2. Crestone is well known as a 'spiritual mecca'.
The following thread had great details about how Crestone became home to so many different spiritual centers. https://www.city-data.com/forum/color...fo-please.html
Wish I could remember the exact number of different faiths--had to be more than 20-and I photographed them all, including the Japanese Drummers visiting for a rare appearance.
As a fulltime single RVer, I LOVE LITTLE NEIGHBORHOOD BARS! I do other things too, but that's where you can really have a conversation about a town. My favorite spot was the Liquor Store downtown LOL! What a fun place to sit on their patio and meet all the friendly people. The locals are the reason I stayed a week or 2 longer than planned.
I'm a desert dweller, and couldn't IMAGINE being there in the winter! Wow, that's brave! And I heard there's not much visible life that time of year. I can see why: Crestone sits @ 9200 ft!, just below the 14,000 ft mountain peaks! But, summer was ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL!
Don't think I could live in a town that small and isolated, but a month is perfect--in summer!
Don't forget to check out Valley View Hot Springs, (about 30 m N?) if you really want a true definition of Granola!!
Think I'll just include some pics here, and say 'nuff said'.
Pics include:
Zen Center beautiful Round room looking up; Taiko Drummers from Japan; Coffee shop; 1st Amendment Liquors (Hi Kim & Hubby! Good People!); Funky tower-reminded me of Rapunzul, but story was something about a rich middle eastern guy built for his princess but she didn't stay?? (correct me please!); and adorable dancing indian lady at Music Festival.
I have a ton more, but no more time.....
Attached Thumbnails
Am interested in the Crestone area...-hpim0976.jpg   Am interested in the Crestone area...-hpim0979b.jpg   Am interested in the Crestone area...-hpim1115.jpg   Am interested in the Crestone area...-hpim1122a.jpg   Am interested in the Crestone area...-hpim1010c.jpg  

Am interested in the Crestone area...-hpim1029.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2012, 11:52 AM

8 posts, read 21,522 times
My husband and I (late 50's recently retired) are thinking of moving to Crestone from Az. We are looking for a liberal place with a sense of community. We own land in the Baca and would like to build on it.
Is this the place for us, or should we sell the land???? Where do people our age get together??
We have been to the Laughing Budda but it seems that is mostly for younger people. Please help, we are
anxious to move out of Prescott, Az. It is much to conservative for us. Thank You

Old 06-30-2014, 04:36 PM

8 posts, read 21,522 times
Smile Crestone, Colorado Advice Please help

Hi,

My husband and I (early 60's) recently retired and my husband has dreamed of moving to Crestone for a very long time. Would someone from Crestone or a former resident of Crestone please answer some of my questions. I would be so appreciative. Is there a true sense of community in town and/or the Baca?? It appears so in the newspaper or does is it only happen for long term residents??
Also I would really appreciate someone's perspective of the pros and cons of living in Crestone as
a young 60's retired couple?? thank you so much

Old 06-30-2014, 04:48 PM

26,218 posts, read 49,052,722 times
I've merged our 4 threads on Crestone into 1 thread so we can keep all the info in one place. Thank you.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 07-01-2014, 07:55 AM

1,316 posts, read 1,448,273 times
I spent the day over there last Sunday....Having a cup a coffee on the porch of the coffee house, I heard one of the local residents tell another day visitor that Crestone is a good town to live if you are WANTED or UNWANTED ...

There are some really good hiking trails going out of Crestone but take a full can of mosquito repellant with you.....
Avoid being there in the winter..!

Old 07-04-2014, 11:55 AM

2,253 posts, read 6,987,382 times
Wink Walk to the stupa

I haven't lived in Crestone, but spent a little time there now and again on occasion. If you haven't, a short visit should help to confirm or dispel many of your conceptions.

Among my impressions would be isolated. This small town is removed a good distance from any other in the San Luis Valley, all others at all adjacent small as well. The only town of size and where one will surely be doing most of their shopping is Alamosa (population: 8,780, as of 2010). If flat all the way, it is about one hour, one-way, between these two places.

Therefore, yes, you can certainly expect the atmosphere as any small town where everybody's business is everybody else's. In a rather laid back way there, my impression. As said, I've never been there long enough to learn of all the nuances, but one can quickly gain some idea. Ground zero in my estimation in this would be the local coffee house, being, I believe, the Bliss Cafe. Presumably still there, and with good reason as where it seemed everybody at some point would wander by to socialize. Hard to miss, as in the center of town, that not all that big, and any local would readily know what you are referring to. When I was last there there was a small creek (or diversion) flowing past the east side of that establishment, with also a small pond in result where children were playing. An atmosphere which typifies the town.

And also a reminder. When I say small creek, I mean small. Rather tenuous. Crestone, like the town of Saguache (county seat of Saguache County, on the far west side of the valley), is located at a natural oasis. In driving to either town one can see signs of this by the side of the road in the form of marshes. No idea on Saguache, but my understanding that the marshes before Crestone have receded from what they once were due the underground pumping of water towards farming. Center-point irrigation is big in the SLV, and the only reason most farms can grow anything there. Look into this and you'll quickly find that water and water rights are a big issue in that valley. It would suggest that the prospective homeowner would want to make quite sure of their legal right to adequate water, as well whether the source will remain in years to come. The changing climate in Colorado says possibly not. Crestone lies directly at the west base of the Sangre de Cristo Mountains; they are snowcapped in the winter, yet do not seem to provide much water to the land below in creeks and rivers due snowmelt. Something definitely to consider and factor in.

Look at a map and the town of Crestone exists delineated as a small square of a few blocks. BUT most of the population in the area resides in the far larger subdivision just to the south of that. It also will be apparent on the map. I'm not that familiar with it, but that concentration of people will certainly flavor the nature of all else. If moving, it may well be where you end up living.

Something else influencing that town are the nearby religious institutions, running back in diffuse line along a dirt road that slowly climbs the hillside to the southeast. At the end of it overlooking the valley is a large white stupa; one that seems a sister to a similar one situated again overlooking the valley at Tres Orejas, west of Taos, NM. That alone should give you some idea of the flavor of the place. When myself last there the various denominations included a Christian monastery of sorts, a Buddhist enclave, etc. My suspicion this has remained rather stable, with Crestone a base for seekers of diverse truths.

There was also a then defunct county club on the approach to town, just to its west. Water issues may have sunk their plans, but no idea. At the time they were surviving in some form more as a youth hostel in renting out quite affordable lodging.

Possibly some retired couples might come to this place in order to screw their heads on straighter, if often by then one more set in their ways. But no doubt that many with retirement plans would never consider Crestone and steer well clear of it (aside from being unaware of its existence to begin with). If for no other reason than it does not offer all the services they might want and could easily have in so many retirement communities. Or even just larger towns having much the same. It wouldn't be for everyone.

For some, perhaps nirvana.

Last edited by Idunn; 07-04-2014 at 12:10 PM..

Old 05-30-2021, 04:54 AM

7,188 posts, read 9,322,724 times
Town of Crestone gets International Dark Sky designation

The town in the Sangre de Cristo wilderness is the fourth Colorado community to receive the designation.

https://www.9news.com/article/life/s...3-fc2f6a5da630

"SAGUACHE COUNTY, Colo. — The Town of Crestone was named this month as an International Dark Sky Place, becoming the fourth community in Colorado to receive the designation.

The International Dark Sky Places (IDSP) program was founded 20 years ago to recognize communities, parks and other places that minimize artificial light at night and allow people to see the stars.

Colorado now has several Dark Sky Communities and Dark Sky Parks:

Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Park
Great Sand Dunes National Park and Preserve
Dinosaur National Monument
Jackson Lake State Park
Mesa Verde National Park
Slumgullion Center
Town of Crestone
Town of Norwood
Town of Ridgway
Towns of Westcliffe and Silver Cliff
“We are delighted to welcome Crestone, Colorado, into the family of IDA International Dark Sky Places,” said Ruskin Hartley, IDA executive director, in a press release. “Its situation and circumstances are key to long-term protection of dark skies in the San Luis Valley, Sangre de Cristo wilderness, and beyond, so we are excited by the possibilities that today represents.”

Crestone was established in 1880 as a mining town and has about 2,200 residents. The town has regulated its outdoor lighting since 2004 and recently updated its ordinance to meet IDSP requirements.

“I believed this was a journey that ended with designation," said Mayor Kairina Danforth, who led the town's effort to be accredited as a IDSP, in the release. "I now realize that this designation isn’t so much the end of a process as the beginning of a relationship with IDA and the broader dark-skies movement around the world."

There are 31 International Dark Sky Communities worldwide, according to the program."

Old 05-18-2022, 09:42 PM

26,218 posts, read 49,052,722 times
Default Open-Air Cremations in Crestone

Crestone is the subject of a feature article in today's NY Times (paywall site) who report that the town is only venue in the USA to offer open-air cremations. Lots of good photographs accompany the article.

Excerpt: About 70 people have been cremated at the pyre in Crestone since it opened more than a decade ago. Its services are restricted to residents and landowners in Saguache County, with a population of less than 7,000 people spread across some 3,000 square miles. ... the pyre itself is a utilitarian structure: two waist-high stuccoed concrete walls lined inside with firebrick, and spanned by a plain metal grate. ... The simple design represents a defiant upending of American death rituals. ... More than half of Americans are cremated after death, a remarkable change from the 20th century, ... It is not a coincidence that Crestone is the pyre’s home. About 200 miles south of Denver, the former gold mining town has attracted a population drawn to Eastern religious practices and wisdom traditions for decades. ... Some locals refer to a “vortex” of energy in the area. ... “He was looking forward to being the smoke.”
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado