Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2008, 04:11 PM

790 posts, read 4,019,977 times

Advertisements

Does anyone live in or have alot of experiential knowledge about Crestone?
Any info appreciated.
Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2008, 08:40 PM

1,082 posts, read 4,718,462 times
Well I was there for the first time in January. I stayed at one of several bed and breakfasts, and they really varied. The one I stayed in was weird, the proprietor was gone and a house sitter was taking care of it. It was hard to get info over the internet and some of them you had to call and leave a message--it might have just been the time of year I was there. Several of them were in the housing area south of the town and you did NOT want to be looking for them after dark.

There is also a small motel/hotel right in the town. Next to the hotel was a Bar/grill with Pizza but I am a single female traveler and tend not to eat in Bar/grills if I can avoid it. The only breakfast/lunch place, besides the coffee shop, was also closed for remodeling. In January there was nothing open for dinner at all except that. I drove the hour and back to/from Alamosa. There was a coffee/book shop right next to the natural foods grocery. The natural foods grocery is very large and well stocked and had extended hours in the evening.

If you take the road west out of Crestone, called T on the map I saw, you get to a junction with 285 called Moffat. It has a 24 hour market, another B and B (the Cottonwood) and you turn left to go to Alamosa. That store also had some natural food choices. There is a big resort on that side of Crestone, Eagle something or something, but it was closed completely for a Buddhist retreat when i was there. It has some sort of a dining room as well. If you drive slightly west past the Mesa subdivision and then take a right down the ranch road, you will hit an interesting drive that eventually crosses over 285 again: wildlife ranches, hardly any traffic, even a rancher's truck, and a wildlife/bird sanctuary for which they are buying up water.

The Mesa area subdivision to the north was a huge lawsuit which was settled finally which involved native Hispanic rights to hike up the mountains. They won, partially. I imagine there are still some hard feelings about that.

As you come into Crestone there is a bulletin board that gives a lot of local info but neither of my cellphones worked so that was useless.

I'd go again but be prepared for anything, especially in the winter.

Old 06-01-2008, 10:03 PM

790 posts, read 4,019,977 times
Thank you esla. That's alot of good info.

Old 06-02-2008, 09:29 AM

I made one error: The subdivision I referred to several times is SOUTH of town, not north as I said. Sorry. It does have the word Mesa in the name, and there is a sign marking the turnoff.

Old 07-23-2008, 11:35 PM

9 posts, read 48,613 times
Let me just say, if you are familiar with the term "Granola" then you are familiar with Crestone.

Crestone Colorado Area Guide

Old 07-24-2008, 12:06 AM

2,253 posts, read 6,987,382 times
Wink Unique

If thinking Crestone, think alternative. There is an eclectic mix of various religious orders just outside of town. One was Zen Buddhist as I recall, and there is a large Buddhist stupa at the far end of the dirt road with a magnificent view overlooking the San Luis Valley. Christian monks there as well, and others. That might give you some idea what to expect in this small town.

It is a long way from most anywhere else, which likely part of the charm. A beautiful location directly at the foot of the Sangre de Cristo mountains. You'll notice some natural wetlands as you drive in from CO 17. These were formerly more abundant, with much wildlife, and their present state indicative of current water issues. Suffice it to say you'll likely hear some discussion of this if there very long.

There is a small hotel in town; when I was there it was entirely booked due high school graduation: all 6 of them, as I recall. I stayed at an old resort a mile or two out of town (north side of road) which is now more of a new age alternative lodging establishment. Very mellow and quiet. Quite affordable, particularly if opting for a shared room. I believe 3 others might have shared mine, although no one else ever showed up in the several days I was there.

I believe some of the religious orders, such as the monks, welcome paying guests. Might be great, but not your ordinary hotel experience. In fact that is part of the draw for some.

The center of town social life may be the coffee shop/cafe. You can't miss it, just to the left as you enter town proper, all several blocks of it. A good place to meet the locals and anyone else wandering through. Good coffee and food also. It also is in an old victorian building of sorts, thus charming in this respect as well. There is (or was) a small creek running along the east side of this establishment, and a small pond the children like to play in.

A few other businesses in town. One I liked was a Thai restaurant which was very good, although only open on select days.

Just before you reach town (coming in from CO 17) there is a 'Y.' Veering left will take you into town, to the right into the newer development of residential housing. Believe there is a sign for this at the 'Y.' Last I checked, Crestone real estate is not particularly cheap. A lot less than someplace such as Vail, CO, but surely more than Alamosa, CO. But while Alamosa is the nearest town of any size to Crestone, Wal-Mart and all, in many respects the two might as well be on different planets.

Since you asked, you'll probably like it.

Old 09-14-2008, 10:42 PM

26 posts, read 107,034 times
Smile Need Crestone Info?

I can help- I lived there for three years. Please tell me what you need to know! Just to clear something up- the town is tiny and everyone knows each other. Most people don't lock up, so don't worry about eating anywhere- especially the bar. Walk inside and you will see the Silvercrest is beautiful- hand built by the owner and his crew. Unless you are scared of friendly hippies, there is little to fear- be more afraid of a raccoon breaking into your car!

Old 09-19-2008, 03:08 PM

291 posts, read 2,075,781 times
Here is a brief Review of Crestone, CO

Old 09-22-2008, 04:53 PM

Default no guarantees

Just because a place is small does not guarantee nice people. There are people everywhere I might not want to share conversation with, and the best way to avoid them is to use some degree of discretion. In my view, avoiding places that serve alcohol as a main dish is the best way.

That being said, I liked Crestone and would try it again.

Old 09-22-2008, 08:22 PM

1,938 posts, read 7,126,349 times
Granola fits it well. I used to live on Rd T and 285...in that big white house. I guess some rich couple from Denver built it back in 1993 or something and my parents bought it and lived in it for about a year and then sold it. I have a friend from Crestone..turned out her family is now a medium. Most of the kids in my class (from Saguache 1995) would get their drugs from Center and Crestone.
Yup, alternative and granola are good terms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado