Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2012, 12:23 AM

50,884 posts, read 24,393,171 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryker49 View Post
Far corner of the state? You need to look at a map. Pueblo is over 200 road miles (170 straight-line miles) from the southeast corner of the state. Actually, Pueblo is much closer to the geographic center of the state than the southeast corner.
I see your point. But suppose you live elsewhere in the state. How far do you have to travel to go to the State fair?

Grand Junction -- 574 mile RT
Durango -- 542 mile RT
Glenwood Springs -- 466 mile RT
Fort Collins -- 356 mile RT
Denver -- 226 mile RT

And by the way, Pueblo may be 200 road miles from the southeast corner of the state, but it's closer to the New Mexico and Kansas borders than it is to most population centers in the state...and 319 road miles (one way) from the far corner of the state. And, BTW...just how many people live in Baca County? About 4,500.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2012, 10:29 AM

12,262 posts, read 24,474,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidv View Post
IF the fair is to break even, then it needs to move closer to the population center of the state. That is where the customers are. When the fair was created 100 years ago, the state was much more agricultural and rural, and the populations of Denver and Pueblo were much closer in number. In 1910, Denver's population was about 5x the size of Pueblo's. In 2010, the Denver Metro area's population is 15x the population of Pueblo's MSA.
The fair is located in Pueblo county and next to El Paso county that have a combined population of over 750,000 people. As I have posted the fair makes a lot of money but the fair grounds loses $379,000 because it is underutilized the 355 days the fair is not in use. That is the goverment for you as they have no incentive to make any changes. Even now instead of working to find a solution to solve the problem they are just looking out for their own self interest which would leave the state with more problems and debt not less.

Quote:
Spending any money to upgrade state fair buildings to host conventions and the like would not be money well spent. No matter how much anyone wants Pueblo to be an alternative destination to Denver, people will not travel to Pueblo for conventions. Pueblo does not have suitable (and cheap) transportation to host national conventions, and in this state, any convention located too far away from the Denver metro area does not draw well, as the Denver metro residents are reluctant to attend.
Pueblo already is a alternative destination to Denver. Not for large national conventions or international conventions but for regional conventions who have tighter budgets and do not need the large facilities Denver has to offer. That is why the convention center in downtown is doing so well and why Pueblo is considered a top contender for the state grant that with the PBR arena would make the total complex about 250,000 square feet. If the state was to work with the convention center it would only make Pueblo more appealing for the regional conventions and even if they were only to get a few a year it would be more then enough to off set the loss the fair grounds has during the off season.

Quote:
The real problem is that state fairs are declining along with the rural population of the country. As farmers become more efficient, fewer are needed to produce the same amount of food. The US (and Colorado) has far fewer farmers in number than it had 100 years ago. To survive, the fairs are going to either have to scale back, or try to appeal to the "city folk."
That is a problem is some states like Michigan where attendance was going down so they closed the fair and it was in Detroit, the large metro area, but not in states like Colorado. I mean if this was really the case in Colorado then Denver would not be trying to get the fair but its the opposite as the attendance at the fair is up and continues to increase every year.

Old 01-31-2012, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I think you make a very good point. State fairs thrived at a time that was very different than our present time. I began going to the New York State Fair in Syracuse over 50 years ago as a kid. It was a BIG deal. A decade ago I went to the Virginia State Fair. Nice, but...well, I guess you could say a MEDIUM deal. Summer before last I went to the Colorado State Fair...a nice diversion, but...well, it only held my attention for about 3 hours. Part of that is me changing, but part of it is a change in what interests the general public. The Colorado State Fair seems about comparable as the county fair was where I grew up. I also attended the El Paso County Fair...stayed there for less than 30 minutes...it seemed comparable to what we used to call Firemen's Carnivals in the old days.
That is you changing as attendance at the fair is up.

Quote:
Bottom line for me is this. I don't think that tax payer monies should support an entertainment venue. We don't support amusement parks in Denver or Glenwood Springs. We don't support movie theaters. Since Joseppie likes to talk about the history of having the fair in Pueblo, I'd like to see the historical approach be returned...that the state sell the fairgrounds to Pueblo (if Pueblo really wants the fair), or better yet that a non-profit, nongovernmental fair association take over the fair. Let it sink or swim. Who goes to the fair? My guess is that it's mostly people in the southeast part of the state. Perhaps regional fairs would be more appropriate. But again, it shouldn't be a state function.
The money does not go to the entertainment portion of the fair but if anything it goes to the mandated programs like the 4-H and FFA that help the youth. However as I have stated the fair itself makes money its just the off season and that has always been a issue yet the state does not try to solve it as they have no incentive to.

Old 01-31-2012, 10:46 AM

Quote:
I see your point. But suppose you live elsewhere in the state. How far do you have to travel to go to the State fair?

Grand Junction -- 574 mile RT
Durango -- 542 mile RT
Glenwood Springs -- 466 mile RT
Fort Collins -- 356 mile RT
Denver -- 226 mile RT

And by the way, Pueblo may be 200 road miles from the southeast corner of the state, but it's closer to the New Mexico and Kansas borders than it is to most population centers in the state...and 319 road miles (one way) from the far corner of the state. And, BTW...just how many people live in Baca County? About 4,500.
Attendance is not a issue as the fair gets over 500,000 visitors a year. If attendance was a issue and it was dropping you might have a case but its not and continues to increase.

Old 01-31-2012, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
Attendance is not a issue as the fair gets over 500,000 visitors a year. If attendance was a issue and it was dropping you might have a case but its not and continues to increase.
Actually, last year attendance dipped slightly.

Old 01-31-2012, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Actually, last year attendance dipped slightly.
My bad. I forgot that last year the numbers stayed flat.

Here is the data:

2010: 517,140
2011: 515,995

It was down 1,145 which is essentially flat and after increasing attendance in the past few years it is not a surprise especially given the economy we were in at the time and they raised the ticket price. My point still stands that attendance is not the issue because if it was attendance would not have climbed above 500,000 people.

Last edited by Josseppie; 01-31-2012 at 12:45 PM..

Old 01-31-2012, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
My bad. I forgot that last year the numbers stayed flat.

Here is the data:

2010: 517,140
2011: 515,995

It was down 1,145 which is essentially flat and after increasing attendance in the past few years it is not a surprise especially given the economy we were in at the time and they raised the ticket price. My point still stands that attendance is not the issue because if it was attendance would not have climbed above 500,000 people.
To decide if attendance is an issue for a state-wide fair, I'd think you'd need data to determine where the people are coming from who attend.

And a statewide fair ought to be increasing every year since the population of the state is increasing every year.

Old 01-31-2012, 01:10 PM

Quote:
To decide if attendance is an issue for a state-wide fair, I'd think you'd need data to determine where the people are coming from who attend.
The fair has all that information.

Here is a link:

The Colorado State Fair - Demographics

As you might expect most of the people who attend the fair come from Pueblo and Colorado Springs. However 10% (about 50,000 people) do come from the northern front range and that includes Denver. Since both Pueblo and Colorado Springs are expected to grow over the next 30 years there is no reason to think the fair won't grow as well.

Quote:
And a statewide fair ought to be increasing every year since the population of the state is increasing every year.
The overall trend should be up but there will always be odd years where due to weather or the economy the attendance is more flat. That is what is going on with the fair as the overall trend is up.

Old 01-31-2012, 03:51 PM

3,158 posts, read 6,129,177 times
Before the fair is moved out of Pueblo, maybe it might be better to change the dates of the fair. By August 24, most of the state's school districts are already in session, and traveling to Pueblo during the week becomes an impossibility for families.

Old 01-31-2012, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Before the fair is moved out of Pueblo, maybe it might be better to change the dates of the fair. By August 24, most of the state's school districts are already in session, and traveling to Pueblo during the week becomes an impossibility for families.
That is something worth looking into. Back when the fair was set school did not start till after labor day well things have changed. One of the problems with moving the date of the state fair is they have to hold the fair after all the county fairs but I don't see why they can't move it up a few weeks at least.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado