Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2010, 09:35 AM

99 posts, read 180,821 times

Advertisements

Has anyone had any luck searching for jobs in Durango from out of town?
I am working currently, but want to have bird in hand first. There are numerous jobs I am qualified for in Durango. I have filled out applications or sent resumes and cover letters as requested by the employers, but it seems I am wasting my time.
Anyone else have a similar experience with this? Employers in any field are welcome to respond as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2010, 10:07 AM

26,208 posts, read 49,017,880 times
A lot of people tell of success by using a phone number on their resume that shows a number that is local to the area in which they seek employment. Often times a local phone number gains them a call for an interview. All's fair.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 06-24-2010, 10:47 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,243,410 times
Most jobs are awarded to people either known to the hiring manager or to a "friend of a friend". This is particularly true in smaller towns, assuming there are sufficient local candidates with the required skills. Not surprised you're not getting much feedback.

Old 06-24-2010, 01:59 PM

Thanks. It just seems more complicated than it really has to be? I thought the goverment only worked this way? Employers are missing out on quality candidates due to this odd behavior.

Old 06-24-2010, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzzle of Bees View Post
Thanks. It just seems more complicated than it really has to be? I thought the goverment only worked this way? Employers are missing out on quality candidates due to this odd behavior.
I think they look at it like dating. You're more likely to take home the so-so girl you meet at the bar that night than the supposedly super hot one who responds to your ad in the personals.

Old 06-24-2010, 05:08 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,303,340 times
Catch-22 is right. The phenomenon you're discovering about being locked out of jobs as a non-local applicant isn't just a Durango thing either-- it's an everywhere thing. It's true in Los Angeles, it's true in San Francisco, it's true in Denver, it's true in Oklahoma City, it's true in Grand Junction, and it's true in Durango.

Re Mike's suggestion-- I don't think your phone number area code matters much. Your street address, OTOH, will make the difference between getting a call or not. That tends to be true for cities at least. For some towns though, your best bet of being considered for an interview might be to physically walk into the building with a suit and tie and hand deliver your resume to the appropriate person.

My suggestion, if you are absolutely gung ho on living in Durango, is to save up enough money to move there and find temporary housing for a month, two months max. Hit every employer in the town. Probably won't even take long until you've exhausted all the possibilities and know if you're getting anywhere. If you don't find a job by the end of that time, it probably just isn't meant to be, and you'll go back to wherever you came from, knowing you at least tried. Your chances of getting hired long distance in a small town without knowing anyone in that town is probably 0%.

Old 06-24-2010, 05:25 PM

18,209 posts, read 25,843,605 times
Vegaspilgrim is right. Everything price wise in Durango is high, rentals included. And in a couple months you have the students coming back for classes at Ft. Lewis College to contend with. It won't be easy.

VP is right regarding saving up for temporary housing there and hitting the streets hard for job interviews. You do have a lot of mom and pop motels on the main drag (U.S.550) and some of them have kitchenettes. They are all north of the downtown area. I can't think of which motels off the top of my head have them but they are out there. Good luck!

Old 06-25-2010, 09:49 AM

I would retire from my current employer, I have 12 years here. I would have enough cash from my property sale/s to buy a place outright in Durango. I am in Austin, TX currently and it is not cheap to live here either. The weather is too hot and the politics here are really bad. And that Austin is a sanctuary city has become more annoying as well.

Old 06-25-2010, 12:10 PM

Quote:
I would retire from my current employer, I have 12 years here. I would have enough cash from my property sale/s to buy a place outright in Durango. I am in Austin, TX currently and it is not cheap to live here either. The weather is too hot and the politics here are really bad. And that Austin is a sanctuary city has become more annoying as well.
The weather in Durango would definitely be cooler but I'm not sure you'll find the politics that much more to your liking. However, maybe someone with more knowledge about the local political climate will weigh in.

Old 06-25-2010, 01:15 PM

179 posts, read 621,476 times
Quote:
What kind of job are you looking to get into? I don't think it's fair to assume that just because you aren't landing any interviews means that the employers are discriminating against you because you are a non-local. Maybe you are not one of the best candidates that they receive applications from. Durango is a very popular place, and if you are applying for a job with a livable wage, you are going to face stiff competition.

As for cost of living, Durango is nearly 40% more expensive than Austin, with housing being 91% more expensive: Moderator cut: link removed
And sorry to burst your bubble, but the politics are probably nearly identical. Durango is a Sanctuary City, as well: Sanctuary city, sanctuary, sanctuary city list, Ohio, jobs, OJJPAC, list, justice, soverignty, citizenship, illegal alien, immigration, amnesty, sanctuary cities, undocumented, ICE, NYC, IIRIRA, Huston, Chicago, Phoenix, L.A., Salvi, Steve Salvi

Last edited by Yac; 06-30-2010 at 06:25 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado