Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Moving to Colorado: job market, remote working, great schools, private pensions, retirement investment.

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2007, 07:50 PM

11 posts, read 15,108 times

Advertisements

I guess it's just me, but all the recent posts about picking up and moving to Colorado mtns, rural, etc., have me wondering what parts of Colorado I have missed. Seems like there are alot of people just picking up and moving to CO and expecting $40K+ jobs for them & their spouse and want to be choosy about where they live. On my many, many trips to outside-of-the-big-cities CO and always checking out the local job/housing markets, I have come to the conclusion that moving to CO doesn't make much sense economically unless you are retired, independently wealthy or don't mind living in a mobile home with goats & junk refrigerators in the front yard. I must really be missing something there, but from what I can tell, outside of the metro areas or ski resorts, most of CO is poor!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2007, 09:43 PM

32 posts, read 207,581 times
We are moving to Colorado with my husband keeping his existing job and working remotely. We decided on a neighborhood in Briargate. I think you might be referring to another state? I have visited Fort Collins, Thornton, Denver, Highlands Ranch, Parker, Castle Rock, Louisville, South Colorado Springs ( a little sketchy but nice parts east of Powers are building out) and all are nice areas.

Old 04-14-2007, 08:09 AM

129 posts, read 1,228,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wondrwmn View Post
We are moving to Colorado with my husband keeping his existing job and working remotely. We decided on a neighborhood in Briargate. I think you might be referring to another state? I have visited Fort Collins, Thornton, Denver, Highlands Ranch, Parker, Castle Rock, Louisville, South Colorado Springs ( a little sketchy but nice parts east of Powers are building out) and all are nice areas.
Yeah....and those are all around Metro areas.

Treyjay: you have a good point, although exaggerated. It's true that many towns that don't lie close to a larger city on the Front Range also don't have a lot of well-paying jobs available. And some places are much more "depressed" than others.

But isn't that true of most small towns which lie far from any Metro area? Large corporations don't generally move to small towns unless they think the town is about to grow dramatically. It's kind of a Catch-22. For example, a high-tech corporation won't move to the small town because they don't think they'll be able to find enough skilled people to employ. Then, the people with high-tech skills who live in a small town can't find work in their field, so they move closer to a larger city where high-tech jobs exist. Now, there are even fewer skilled people in the small town, making it even less likely that a high-tech business will move there...

Out of state folks: if you are looking for a high-paying job and looking to live in Colorado away from the Denver region, I suggest you nail down the job first, then make your move.

Old 04-14-2007, 10:59 AM

431 posts, read 2,794,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treyjay View Post
I guess it's just me, but all the recent posts about picking up and moving to Colorado mtns, rural, etc., have me wondering what parts of Colorado I have missed. Seems like there are alot of people just picking up and moving to CO and expecting $40K+ jobs for them & their spouse and want to be choosy about where they live. On my many, many trips to outside-of-the-big-cities CO and always checking out the local job/housing markets, I have come to the conclusion that moving to CO doesn't make much sense economically unless you are retired, independently wealthy or don't mind living in a mobile home with goats & junk refrigerators in the front yard. I must really be missing something there, but from what I can tell, outside of the metro areas or ski resorts, most of CO is poor!
What do you mean by poor? If you mean wages compared to Calif. Then again the housing cost in Calif is crazy so of coarse the wages have to be higher. I really wonder where in Colorado you have visited. There are haves and have nots everywhere. Also farmers and ranchers which make up the rural areas of Colorado don't have time to worry about or care a great deal putting on the dog. They work 24/7 as a family, as much as 18 hrs a day or even more. They love their life style and they believe those in the fancy houses and looking down their noses are the poor ones.

Old 04-14-2007, 01:42 PM

23 posts, read 124,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treyjay View Post
Yes Colorado is notmuch to brag about. What is going on right now is the methane gas industry which is temporary but pays well. Pioneer natural resources has great jobs in rural colorado. Problem is the schools are the worst in the nation and if your child has any special needs forget it!!! ITs harrassment after harrassment. What these people think Colorado is all about is Boulder, Aspen and cherry creek Denver. They have yet to see Rifle, craig, Trinidad and the countless other towns that have nothing going for them. The schools here are a big joke unless one moves to aspen, Boulder or cherry creek Denver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadine View Post
What do you mean by poor? If you mean wages compared to Calif. Then again the housing cost in Calif is crazy so of coarse the wages have to be higher. I really wonder where in Colorado you have visited. There are haves and have nots everywhere. Also farmers and ranchers which make up the rural areas of Colorado don't have time to worry about or care a great deal putting on the dog. They work 24/7 as a family, as much as 18 hrs a day or even more. They love their life style and they believe those in the fancy houses and looking down their noses are the poor ones.
Colorado rural towns are a joke. Nowdays there is the methane gas industry usually pioneer natural resources. Good pay but only temporary jobs. The schools in Colorado are the worst in the nation especially for special needs children. IF you want a good school one has to move to boulder, aspen or cherry creek denver.

Old 04-14-2007, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by autism166 View Post
Colorado rural towns are a joke. Nowdays there is the methane gas industry usually pioneer natural resources. Good pay but only temporary jobs. The schools in Colorado are the worst in the nation especially for special needs children. IF you want a good school one has to move to boulder, aspen or cherry creek denver.
You are intitled to your opinion but you are wrong. In some areas that might be true. But it certainly is not in all.

Old 04-14-2007, 02:06 PM

26,224 posts, read 49,079,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by autism166 View Post
Yes Colorado is not much to brag about. What is going on right now is the methane gas industry which is temporary but pays well. Pioneer natural resources has great jobs in rural colorado. Problem is the schools are the worst in the nation and if your child has any special needs forget it!!! ITs harrassment after harrassment. What these people think Colorado is all about is Boulder, Aspen and cherry creek Denver. They have yet to see Rifle, craig, Trinidad and the countless other towns that have nothing going for them. The schools here are a big joke unless one moves to aspen, Boulder or cherry creek Denver.
Your opinions are yours, you are welcome to them. I'm not buying.

Long distance gas pipelines are now being built to move coal bed methane from CO and WY to distant markets. Capital would not be invested in this if it were a temporary matter. Pioneer Natural Resources is a respected company, and BTW, I made a tidy profit on PNR stock. Schools here are not the worst in the nation, unless you can quote valid studies to support that very negative claim. No one should make such claims without substantiating that claim with at least a link to a source. Your bias is all too apparent when it comes to schools, we've seen your 'opinions' here before. We have fabulous schools in most of Colorado Springs and El Paso County, and the state at large, otherwise most of our schools are certainly adequate, this isn't rural Mississippi. Schools in rural towns have ALWAYS been subject to low levels of funding, and that won't change until TAXPAYERS in rural towns or counties, or their state legislature, put their money where the MOUTH is about having great schools. Rural towns all over this country have issues with declining populations, low population density that begets low funding, loss of industry to overseas nations, drugs, climate changes, etc. Colorado is no different, no better, no worse than other states. I've seen a lot of this country. It is HERE in the great state of COLORADO that we CHOOSE to be. If you're not happy here, move. If you have valid stats, state the source.

s/Mike from back east

Old 04-14-2007, 02:08 PM

3,041 posts, read 11,892,897 times
Quote:
Problem is the schools are the worst in the nation
Sorry but you are wrong. Maybe where your kids are the schools are great. But DO not make a truely false statement as the ABOVE.

check here http://www.uschamber.com/icw/reportcard/default

see how the us chamber of commerce rate the states. Colorado get a B.
see CA, OK, WV, NV, HI, LA, AL, NM, MS, & DC all get F's!

Colorado schools rank in the TOP 1/3 of the nation! DC schools are the worst in the nation.

Old 04-14-2007, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5stones View Post
Sorry but you are wrong. Maybe where your kids are the schools are great. But DO not make a truely false statement as the ABOVE.

check here http://www.uschamber.com/icw/reportcard/default

see how the us chamber of commerce rate the states. Colorado get a B.
see CA, OK, WV, NV, HI, LA, AL, NM, MS, & DC all get F's!

Colorado schools rank in the TOP 1/3 of the nation! DC schools are the worst in thenation.
I had not see that website before. That really is interesting. Not many get A's do they?

Old 04-14-2007, 03:51 PM

11 posts, read 15,108 times
Out of state folks: if you are looking for a high-paying job and looking to live in Colorado away from the Denver region, I suggest you nail down the job first, then make your move.[/quote]

Exactly!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado