Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2009, 05:18 PM

136 posts, read 727,762 times

Advertisements

From a brilliant article by Charles Murray in the WSJ: "For Most People, College Is a Waste of Time"

First, we will set up a single goal to represent educational success, which will take four years to achieve no matter what is being taught. We will attach an economic reward to it that seldom has anything to do with what has been learned. We will urge large numbers of people who do not possess adequate ability to try to achieve the goal, wait until they have spent a lot of time and money, and then deny it to them. We will stigmatize everyone who doesn't meet the goal. We will call the goal a "BA."

For Most People, College Is a Waste of Time - WSJ.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2009, 05:24 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,612,019 times
Oh, I've known some professional basketball and football players who graduated college. Some of them could even read.

Old 10-10-2009, 05:39 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,633,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikejj2004 View Post
From a brilliant article by Charles Murray in the WSJ: "For Most People, College Is a Waste of Time"

First, we will set up a single goal to represent educational success, which will take four years to achieve no matter what is being taught. We will attach an economic reward to it that seldom has anything to do with what has been learned. We will urge large numbers of people who do not possess adequate ability to try to achieve the goal, wait until they have spent a lot of time and money, and then deny it to them. We will stigmatize everyone who doesn't meet the goal. We will call the goal a "BA."

For Most People, College Is a Waste of Time - WSJ.com
I have to disagree. Educating oneself is never a waste of time even if you never use what was taught. IMO, quality of life is better if you are educated and not just because you earn more. What's sad is education is seen as only valuable WRT getting a job and not valuable in of itself.

Old 10-10-2009, 05:56 PM

5,027 posts, read 10,752,172 times
College is only a waste if you go and don't learn anything.
There are some of us (like myself) who went to college and actually learned something. But then, I was dedicated to my field of study and made sure that I learned the material, which is not the general rule. Most people go to college in order to either get a job or to obtain credentialing that will increase their salaries. I find that those are the people who graduate with the piece of paper rather than the knowledge that it represents.

Old 10-11-2009, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarlaJane View Post
College is only a waste if you go and don't learn anything.
There are some of us (like myself) who went to college and actually learned something. But then, I was dedicated to my field of study and made sure that I learned the material, which is not the general rule. Most people go to college in order to either get a job or to obtain credentialing that will increase their salaries. I find that those are the people who graduate with the piece of paper rather than the knowledge that it represents.
Just wanted to agree with you. College is about way more than just ticket punching or learning just what you need to get a job. College should be a mind altering experience. It was for me.

I'd rep you but I have to spread some around first.

Last edited by Ivorytickler; 10-11-2009 at 07:23 AM..

Old 10-11-2009, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
Think Bill Gates....
And you do realize that Bill Gates attended Harvard for two years, right? I read, somewhere, that he was actually going to get a degree. I'll have to look that one up.

Old 10-11-2009, 07:50 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,973,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
And you do realize that Bill Gates attended Harvard for two years, right? I read, somewhere, that he was actually going to get a degree. I'll have to look that one up.
Yeah .... but do Microsoft hire people who do not have degrees?

Old 10-11-2009, 08:25 AM

689 posts, read 2,333,620 times
Organized education is part of industrialized society, the formalixed public school system teaches you to follow directions, obey the boss "teacher", and how to get along with the other workers/students. If you have been able to achieve the higher levels of education, you have "proven" your ability to follow directions, listen to the boss, and how to get along with other workers to the highest levels available. This is a way to gauge social intelligence, and follow through. Advnced education also proves that you have what it takes to put up with tedious, pointless paperwork projects, an important skill in most white collar jobs.

No one wants a smart employee, only one that is obediant, gets along with others, and can be easily assimalated into the current job market. Think cy-borg, then you are close to the reality.

Old 10-11-2009, 08:36 AM

49 posts, read 57,332 times
Default college degrees

You are totally correct. Everyone thinks a college degree is it. It means you might have papers, but no intelligence. I know people who have been to college, but they are just dumb. But if you control the world through the media and banks and then higher education, you have a death grip on humanity.

Going to college is a waste for several reasons. If you have a degree at Harvard it means a lot more than at a small college. But a degree at Harvard might cost you $100,000. So you're $100,000 in the hole from the start. Then you graduate and you might not even find a job in your specialty. If you're lucky you might find a job 500 miles away. So you're in the hole big time and now you might have to leave to work.

So you've spent 4 years and all that money, but the guy who went out and borrowed money and opened a restaurant has already made a million and he'll open a few more restaurants and he'll be able to retire in 15 years with 10 million in his pocket.

I feel so many people go to college to party. They stay drunk for four years. While one guy you went to school with backpacked across America and Europe and wrote a book and has his money.

A person can be very intelligent by just reading. But as long as they read the right books. Half the faculty at the Ivy League and big colleges are filled by the Chosen Ones. Colleges create these liberals with all these ridiculous ideas.

Don't let your child go to college far away from home. Have them get a degree in the college closest to home. Because if you've seen the Cancun Spring Break shows on TV, then you know what I['m talking about. The colleges fill their heads full of poison and they go to have their heads filled with alcohol.

College like the media and government has been controlled by the same folks. They have basically taken the colleges and filled them with left wing liberals. The more expensive the college the worse it is.

Old 10-11-2009, 08:39 AM

429 posts, read 686,186 times
I am finally persuing a degree at 37.I can tell you aftrer not being in school since I was 16 I am not as smart as I once thought I was .It is alot of courage to go back to school and since computers and the like change constantly its probably best to think about it.I was not given a job because I had no college so I decided to go back.I think that employers look at it as a person being diciplined enough to get a degree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities