Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2009, 12:53 AM

12 posts, read 30,320 times

Advertisements

I want to enroll in online college as I am doing job. I am looking for online masters’ degree program. I am quite fearful regarding their future because there are some employers who do not accept online degrees thinking that the quality of syllabus is not on par with the traditional degree program.

If you guys have any information regarding some good online masters degree in Accounting, please let me know. Thanks a lot!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2009, 10:14 AM

4,885 posts, read 7,296,497 times
One of my friends is getting a masters in education from Grand Canyon University. He seems to be pleased with the program. I don't know if they have accounting but I'm sure you could check website.

Old 06-18-2009, 12:22 PM

1,010 posts, read 2,464,538 times
Graduate Schools & Graduate Degrees Guide. Master Degree, MBA, PhD Degree Search - GradSchools.com

Old 06-21-2009, 03:21 AM

332 posts, read 1,431,540 times
I think you have good reason to be fearful... well, not fearful.. maybe cautious is a better word.

Some of the BEST colleges have online learning formats (UNC, Johns Hopkins, MIT, etc) BUT they also impose strict limitations on how those courses are formatted and also the types of programs that can be offered via distance education.

I know nothing about accounting... other than that, aren't accountants typically licensed?? I would check with your licensing board to make sure that the degree will be recognized and count toward whatever requirements are there...

many schools have nighttime programs for working professionals... state universities... is this an option?

good luck with your choice! hopeyou find what you need...

Old 06-21-2009, 10:22 AM

43,854 posts, read 51,245,736 times
My son is a professor at a community college. Any college counselor would be able to let you know which of these online colleges have transferable credits and which are considered substandard. Feel free to make an appointment with someone locally and ASK.!

I think someone should spend as much time and effort in choosing an online college as they do a regular college. It is just as important and meaningful. Good luck to you.....I hope you end up with a great end result!

Old 06-22-2009, 05:41 AM

467 posts, read 984,664 times
Just FYI. Chadwick University is NOT accredited and is a waste of time and money.

Old 06-22-2009, 11:05 AM

5,092 posts, read 14,842,813 times
Regardless of who it's affiliated with, or how it's accredited, an on-line university is never equal to a "real college".

A degree from one of these universities is considered just a step above worthless.

However, this does not apply to on-line courses given by a "real university".

Of course this is all just perception, but it's the prevailing one among those who do the hiring where specific education and training are requirements.

Old 06-22-2009, 02:19 PM

467 posts, read 984,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Freddy View Post
Regardless of who it's affiliated with, or how it's accredited, an on-line university is never equal to a "real college".

A degree from one of these universities is considered just a step above worthless.

Of course this is all just perception, but it's the prevailing one among those who do the hiring where specific education and training are requirements.
Taking online course is useful for people that are forced to be at home, like handicapped or stay at home parents, etc.

I dont think an employer would care if you took a course online or not. They'd be looking for a degree in any case.

Old 06-23-2009, 02:15 PM

187 posts, read 980,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Freddy View Post

I agree to a point. Avoid the degree mills such as University of Phoenix and Strayer like a plague, the "degrees" are worthless to employers. However, as stated above, online programs offered by brick-and-mortar universities that existed before the internet are typically legitimate, quality programs, and employers will never see any indication that you obtained the degree online versus sitting at the actual campus.

The New York Institute of Technology has an online division called Ellis College. It used to be that the degrees would show NYIT but now they have distinctly made the two schools separate entities, and now their online degrees show Ellis College (who no one has heard of, and it is an online only program). Therefore, while they do offer a masters in accounting, I do not recommend it besides the fact it is pricey and the courses tend to be poorly structured despite its roots being in a campus setting (but it is not like a campus ensures it is a decent school).

I like Southern New Hampshire University. It is a private non-profit school that dates back to the early 1900s (used to have a different name) with physical campuses around southern New Hampshire. Their online program is highly structured and of quality. I chose their online program so I can work full time in my field of choice (accounting) but I would have no hesitation attending their physical campus in Manchester. Unfortunately, their online program does not yet offer a masters in accounting, only a certificate that gives you the needed credits to sit for the CPA. I am told it will be offered in coming years, however.

Some of the best schools in the nation including ivy league are now offering online courses (though not necessarily degrees). Online is the way of the future, you just have to be sure to do your research so you do not waste time and a lot of money at a degree mill "school."

An online degree from a "real" university will not be a hindrance to your career. A lot of prospective employers will actually like it because it shows commitment and ambition when you are able to attend school full time while working full time, ultimately gaining crucial experience within your chosen field.

Old 06-24-2009, 07:59 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,349,731 times
Auburn (sp?), U of Connecticut, your undergrad college...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities