Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 03:23 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,402,887 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgz View Post
That's nonsense. Regardless of whether an online course is delivered by an online university or a 'brick-and-mortar school, if the schools are accredited, the training is meeting the same requirements.

I just finished my Master's degree through Capella and it was a much more valuable experience than when I went through another Master's program 15 years ago through a brick-and-mortar school. The online program required a much higher level of interactivity, discussions, papers, etc.

Many of the other students in the online program were experienced, degreed professionals who chose to study through an online program because of their work situations were demanding. Some were in the military and moved frequently; others were in positions involving frequent business travel.

After I completed my Master's, I was able to find a better position at another company (where 'better' means more responsibility, more challenge, and better pay). Also, because my Master's project had to be based on a real situation, I was able to include the experience from that project on my resume.

For many years, I have worked in training and management. I have interviewed many people and many people have interviewed me. Over 20+ years in the business and technology fields, working with many companies, no one has ever cared where the Bachelor's or Master's degree was earned, as long as it was through an accredited school and the requirements for the degree were completed.

I think that online education (provided that the school is accredited) is an excellent way to go for adult learners. I wouldn't recommend it to kids just coming out of high school who might need more structure or want that campus experience. However, it can be great if you're an adult who is self-motivated and has good study skills.

In a few years, I will probably consider pursuing another degree and I will most likely choose another online study program. Capella doesn't offer a program in the next area of study that I'm looking at... but I know that John Hopkins does. Although John Hopkins' online program is considerably more expensive. So, I will have to shop around and strike a balance between what I think I will learn from one program vs. another and what the costs are.
Excellent post and I could not have said it better. I earned my MSCS degree from this school (American Sentinel University | Earn Your Online Degree With Us). It's accredited and I learned a great deal. The program was very challenging. For each class, we studied from the leading textbooks in the subject matter and the entire program really boosted my knowledge in the field.

It is increasingly the case that working adults find it far more convenient to pursue a degree online. This is becoming more and more acceptable. After all, it's the 21st century now. Massachusetts just allowed the first graduate from an online law school to sit for its bar exam. This previously wasn't the case. So the online route is quickly becoming an acceptable way to obtain a credible degree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2009, 09:05 AM
Rei

494 posts, read 1,761,938 times
Here's what I've compiled so far. All legit school and nationally recognized, some are tier 1 school. If anyone wants to add to that, feel free to do so...

MS Civil Engineering
---------------------
Colorado State U - http://www.learn.colostate.edu/onlinedistance/
Columbia - CVN - Columbia Video Network
Kansas State U - Master's Degrees - Degrees - K-State Division of Continuing Education
North Carolina State U - Engineering Online @ NC State University - Engineering and Computer Science Online Degree Programs
University of Idaho - Engineering Outreach - Master's Degree Programs
University of Washington (CM) - UW Online Learning - Degree Programs
USC

MS Env Engr
---------------
University of Tennesee - The University of Tennessee | Distance Education | Degrees and Certificates (http://anywhere.tennessee.edu/de/programs/degreecerts.html - broken link)
Worchester Poly Institute (PM, Environmental, MBA) - Distance Learning - Graduate Programs

MS Finance and/or Accounting
------------------------------
University of Maryland University College - Management, Accounting, and Finance - Programs - UMUC
University of Conneticut (ACC ONLY) - Master of Science in Accounting WebPortal - THE MASTER OF SCIENCE IN ACCOUNTING PROGRAM: UCONN'S FIRST ONLINE COMMUNITY
Rutgers (ACC ONLY) - Rutgers Business School : Master of Accountancy in Financial Accounting
Stetson (ACC ONLY) - Stetson University :: Faculty

Other/Misc
-----------
University of North Dakota - http://distance.und.edu/degrees/
University of London External System
University of Maryland (Fire Protection, Sustainability Egr) OAEE, Clark School of Engineering, University of Maryland (http://www.enpm.umd.edu/grad/sustainable-energy/faqs.html - broken link)
Pen State - Penn State | Earn an Online Masters Degree, Bachelors Degree or Associate Degree
Boston University - Boston University Online Graduate Degree Programs. Master in Criminal Justice, Music Education, Computer Information Systems, Management, and Occupational Therapy. Doctoral Degrees in Music Education and Physical Therapy.

Old 07-08-2009, 09:11 AM

3,977 posts, read 7,698,124 times
not to mention they are outrageously expensive, am I right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Gal View Post
I just withdrew from the University of Phoenix after enrolling to receive a Master's in Secondary Education from them.

I withdrew for a few reasons:

#1) They seem to have zero reputation with employers.
#2) The quality of work being put out at the Master's level by students was quite appalling. (No where near Master's standards.)
#3) As were given out like candy.
#4) Business practices I just didn't agree with and think were fair.

I honestly don't recommed UoP to anyone.

The Braun Law Group out of California has initiated a class action alwsuit against UoP after some former students complained that the university was improperly returning federal loans and converting it into debt owed directly to the school. Class members are those students who secured Title IV loans for their education, dropped out of the school, had part or all of their loan monies returned tot he lender and were then hit with a bill directly from UoP. The lawsuit contends that to the extent a student had incurred education costs and was receiving the Title IV loans, UoP had no right to return those funds and then seek payment directly from the student.

Given the fact UoP is tied up in a class action lawsuit should speak volumes about the university as a whole.

I hope many people will stay away from UoP and not have to go through what I and others had to go through with them just to withdraw so we could try to pursue other avenues we felt were better for us.

Once UoP has you, they really don't want to let go. In the end, you truly will end up with a degree that doesn't hold a lot of water with employers. Your time, energy, and money will have been wasted.

Old 07-08-2009, 11:14 AM
Rei

494 posts, read 1,761,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzanemiller View Post
Thanks to everyone for ur feedback on this topic. In fact, every person is sharing his/her views, some +ve , some -ve. Browsing net also generates such views only. I am pretty confused how to go further....

still in dilemma.....
The only question i would ask myself is if you'll end up paying the same amount of money for UoP or for schools such as Boston, Rutgers or UConn (and actually less money for schools such as University of London), why go to UoP?

Old 07-27-2009, 01:29 PM

45 posts, read 218,962 times
What program/degree are you looking for? A lot can depend on that since different online schools can specialize on different majors.

In terms of reputation, I would recommend going to an online school that also has a brick and mortar school. That way, when you put your degree on your resume, you don't have to state that you earned it online and employers will often assume you took it at the brick and mortar. Saint Leo University is an example of a fully accredited university that has a respected brick and mortar school and also is an industry leader in online teaching, meaning that their instructors have specifically been trained to teach online (a very important and often overlooked criteria for an online school)

Old 08-05-2009, 02:07 PM

2,719 posts, read 5,362,330 times
All the information that you are looking for can be found at the degreeinfo.com site that was linked to earlier.

As far as online degees go, anyone that says they are useless are saying nonsense. The Internet has opened up a world that many would not have been able to participate in otherwise. Working parents who cannot take a few hours a day to go to a campus have the ability to earn a degree doing exactly the same things that people on campus do: read the materials/chapters, engage in discussions, take exams, write papers and essays and learn.

I think online programs are a godsend to working adults. I think if you are young (20s) the experience of a brick and mortar school and the whole college experience is definitely what one should go for but for adults an online degree is a wonderful option. Also, people in their 30s and up who go back to school tend to be very dedicated to their education as they need it to advance their careers so they don't breeze through and cut corners like you might be tempted to do if you're younger and don't have the self discipline to do the work.

There are many, many schools to choose from, some are exclusively online and others are extensions of Universities or have their own brick and mortar campus. The only thing you should be concerned with is accreditation. If the school is regionally accredited, you will be doing the same work that an on campus student would be doing and attending a school that is accredited by the same body/bodies that provides accreditation to the large, well known schools.

If you attend a Nationally Accredited school, that degree is recognized by the Council on Higher Education and the United States Department of Education. These degrees may or may not have less utility depending on the type of job you are looking for.

For example, chances are you will be unable to obtain a position as a teacher with a nationally accredited degree. A career in law enforcement, however, will accept a CJ degree from a nationally accredited school. As with everything else, it's up to the employer as to what degrees are acceptable in their organization.

Schools that offer to send you a degree based on your "life experience" and require no study are degree mills and are to be avoided at all cost. They are bogus, worthless pieces of paper and contribute to the bad name that people attach to online degrees.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Old 08-10-2009, 02:18 PM

5,142 posts, read 13,131,177 times
Online Degree Reviews Written by Students - Gives you a chance to see reviews from other students.
GetEducated.com | Rate, Rank & Compare Online Colleges & Degrees - It is a great overall resource to finding your degree.

Good luck!

Old 08-11-2009, 11:42 PM

3,695 posts, read 11,378,276 times
Washington State University has an excellent distance degree program. WSU Center for Distance and Professional Education - Washington State University

Old 08-13-2009, 03:41 AM

1,741 posts, read 4,578,232 times
BE SURE to check your state's requirement, some states accept some online universities. This is a serious YMMV situation. Walden University has a great program, it is not too difficult, a bit time consuming, but I guess if you want something like a Masters Degree, you are gonna have to work for it. My experience with Walden was great...but you really have to do your "homework" so to speak when picking an online or I guess any out of state university for your degree.

Old 08-13-2009, 12:10 PM

904 posts, read 2,875,278 times
My husband got an MBA from Colorado State University using their distance learning program. We never set foot on campus. He also looked into programs at Fla. Atlantic, U Mass, University of Maryland, and a few others. He chose Colorado State because of cost and ease. Some schools like U of Fla. required you to be on campus a certain number of weekends.
Most major universities offer some kind of distance learning. It is a lot of work. You have to be disciplined enough to watch the DVD of class and do the work. In the end, it translated to a 20K raise for us. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities