Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2007, 10:32 AM

17 posts, read 167,517 times

Advertisements

Is it possible to be accepted into an MBA program with a BA in Journalism/Advertising/PR and a BA in Radio/TV/Film?

I have a lot of work experience in accounting and business.... but not the bachelors degree.

Secondly, is an MBA online program just as credible as actually attending a 4-year university to obtain the degree?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2007, 02:03 PM

373 posts, read 1,853,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpharetta,GA View Post
Is it possible to be accepted into an MBA program with a BA in Journalism/Advertising/PR and a BA in Radio/TV/Film?

I have a lot of work experience in accounting and business.... but not the bachelors degree.

Secondly, is an MBA online program just as credible as actually attending a 4-year university to obtain the degree?

1) Yes, in many cases you can enter without an bachelor's in business. Many programs will require you to make up a set of "foundation" business courses before moving you on to the regular MBA coursework.

2) Depends. Try a state school with an online arm. That way, employers won't know the difference. Your degree won't look any different, and generally the classes will be the same curriculum as you'd have on campus with some technological modifications. Whether online programs are as good also depends on your own personal learning style. Think about how you learn best. If you are not very self-directed, you might prefer an brick and mortar approach.

Old 04-10-2007, 09:33 PM

3,360 posts, read 12,269,233 times
You will be able to get into an MBA program. Most will want you to take the GRE and have 'transcripted' foundation courses in economics, accounting, statistics, and calculus.

I know because I have the same degree as you and even with 30 yrs experience as a ceo, and even though I was told I probably had enough experience to teach the classes, these could not be waived under any circumstances.

There are two yr MBA's at the better schools, one year for experienced executive mba's, and some at state u's and online for 36 credits. If you do decide to go online use one of the schools that also has an established brick and mortar such as Amherst -U Mass or U Maryland as their credibility is a bit higher.

Old 04-12-2007, 11:02 AM

3,574 posts, read 14,343,748 times
Quote:

You won't know until you try. You'll need to take the professional schools' entrance exam - can't recall what it is - like the GRE/MCAT/LSAT - then apply. If the university / college is fully accredited, the method of delivery doesn't affect the quality of the degree. Some programs are offered exclusively online, some are in part, some not at all. That's where you do your research. Georgia has many fine institutions - I'm sure you can find all the info you need. My daughter's BA is in social work; she has both an MBA and a Master's in Project Management. You be sweet

Old 04-12-2007, 02:12 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,984,503 times
Default mba program

Quote:

You will find that MBA programs in general are not difficult at all to get into. Ivy League and 1st Tier programs, yes... but others, not really at all. Most 2nd and 3rd tier MBA program students I knew, and Graduates I now know aren't as bright as you might have been led to believe... this is not a degree for rocket scientists and future world leaders. It is true however that if you don't have one you may be passed up for career progression in corporate environments where management responsibility equates to dollars and upward mobility. But unless you look at the top most reputable programs, selectivity isn't what I sense you perceive it to be. Any undergrad degree is complemented by an MBA. The GMATs are really nothing more than a college version of the SATs/ACTs... if you're decent with math, writing, and problem solving you'll do fine and prep courses are available everywhere and worthwhile before you take it.

Now regarding your question about an online MBA program. It's a difficult question to answer but "generally" online MBA programs are considered to be of 3rd tier quality. What does that mean... you'll have an MBA, but you won't be offered the high quality jobs by the top MBA-hiring companies that Ivy and 1st tier graduates will get.

I keep harping on this college tier concept because I've lived it - seen first-hand. You very nearly might as well not have gotten an MBA at all if it is not from a top MBA school. So many colleges and universities now offer MBAs that it really does matter where you get yours from. I cannot state it any more clearly. If you want money well spent... take prep courses, and consider applying to the top most programs you have a shot at getting into. I'd be weary of an online MBA or any degree in general.

You have to understand that in this global economy, now you're not just competing with fellow U.S. citizens with MBA degrees in corporate america or the global corporate marketplace... now you're competing against Indians and Chinese and citizens of numerous other countries for the same positions. In such a situation, you want the very best, most reputable MBA you can get - not the most affordable nor convenient.

Old 06-02-2007, 11:25 AM

34 posts, read 180,350 times
Here's some things I would think about. First off, why do you want an MBA and what is your goal after you get it. Basically what's is your plan, need to have a plan at this stage.
For instance I received my undergraduate degree in Communications from Arizona State Univ. I worked in a union job in the airline industry for many years and wanted to move ahead. I contemplated getting an MBA, but I knew it would be helpful but it wasn't necessary. Instead, I took classes at UC Berkeley at the University Extension. I didn't have to take an entrance exam or have a certain GPA. I received a Certificate in Marketing with a 3.5 GPA. It took a year and half to complete. That was the ticket to open the door of opportunity, The learning experience was excellent and having the prestige of UC Berkeley on my resume was an asset. I got the Management job I was after, and some of my colleagues have MBA's.

Here is how I view MBA's after twenty years in the Corporate world. Are they an asset, absolutely. Learning is always an asset, however how is that asset going to be applied is the question.

As other's mentioned an MBA from a Tier 1 University or I would say the top twenty MBA programs or even the top 10 open up doors of opportunity that other Tier 2 or 3 Universities may not. Some of the top Investment Banking, or Corporate America companies may only recruit at top MBA programs, or they might recruit at local Universities that might not be as prestigious in name but have lots of networking within their community base.

For instance, let say one wants to work in Silicon Valley (SF Bay Area). Of course Stanford and UC Berkeley immediately come to mind. Yes they are the Top Tier 1 schools recognized world wide. However lets say one decides to get their MBA at San Jose State Univ. Its not a very prestigious nationally recognized name, however the fact that it is in the heart of Silicon Valley, allows those students to ****network***right in their backyard so to speak.
I knew people that attended Golden Gate University in SF. Excellent place to get your MBA locally if your seeking career opportunities in SF or the Bay Area.

Think about it. The person who attended a good midwestern univeristy who comes to town with an MBA might not have the competitive edge that the Golden Gate or SJ State grad did just because they got their MBA locally and connected professionaly and socially in the job market.

I would focus on where you want to be after getting the MBA. If your not shooting for a top twenty or tier 1 MBA, then if my heart was set on the MBA then I would suggest getting the MBA where you can network within the Corporate community.

Old 06-02-2007, 04:37 PM

453 posts, read 2,101,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorelei2873 View Post
1) Yes, in many cases you can enter without an bachelor's in business. Many programs will require you to make up a set of "foundation" business courses before moving you on to the regular MBA coursework.

2) Depends. Try a state school with an online arm. That way, employers won't know the difference. Your degree won't look any different, and generally the classes will be the same curriculum as you'd have on campus with some technological modifications. Whether online programs are as good also depends on your own personal learning style. Think about how you learn best. If you are not very self-directed, you might prefer an brick and mortar approach.
agreed. sometimes an online school may have as good of an education, but it's all about the prestige of the university. many public schools have distance education classes where you are given the same lectures, tests, and degree as someone who attends classes on-campus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities