Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2023, 07:24 AM

19,793 posts, read 18,085,519 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
Universities have always had a liberal bias, but opposing ideas were not canceled until around 2015. This is a relatively new phenomenon brought in by Gen Z.

Haidt and Lukianoff write about this in The Coddling of the American Mind.
Just to add a little color.

These campus political invitation withdrawals, crowd control/permit excuses and heckler's vetos have been going on since at least the 1920s.

I was looking forward to hearing Henry Kissinger speak at UT-Austin in 2000. A hard left group made specific threats of coordinated disruption and frankly low level terrorism. Kissinger's security team convinced HK to cancel.

I wasn't there but my family lived maybe 50 miles away at the time.......Gen. William Westmorland cancelled at speech at Yale in the early 1970s due to leftists rioting....the rioting was planned and coordinated.

I'd frame it like this these campus centered forced cancellations and shout-downs break maybe 80-20 left to right. Leftists learned from Marx and later Lenin that violent disobedience and shouting down opposing views works quite well.

All that said since about 2015 as you mentioned the progs. have taken all of this to whole new levels.

This outfit chronicles such incidents since 1999/2000.

https://www.thefire.org/research-lea...ation-database
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2023, 04:59 PM

1,706 posts, read 1,151,890 times
It's tragic, but history repeats itself.

Old 12-29-2023, 07:31 PM

17,620 posts, read 17,674,997 times
https://thehill.com/opinion/4381904-...-antisemitism/

Interesting piece on why university presidents and board members aren’t being hard on the antisemitism within their student body and faculty. I don’t wholly agree with the points made but there is validity to the article.

Old 12-30-2023, 02:17 PM

27,564 posts, read 28,665,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
https://thehill.com/opinion/4381904-...-antisemitism/

Interesting piece on why university presidents and board members aren’t being hard on the antisemitism within their student body and faculty. I don’t wholly agree with the points made but there is validity to the article.
That opinion piece is word salad and made no sense at all.

Old 01-02-2024, 06:58 PM

17,379 posts, read 16,524,581 times
Now the President of Harvard has resigned.

Old 01-03-2024, 11:39 AM

19,793 posts, read 18,085,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
Now the President of Harvard has resigned.
Good.

Old 01-04-2024, 04:23 AM

27,564 posts, read 28,665,617 times
Will a university president go on record and just say that calling for the genocide of Jews is hate speech and violates the code of conduct?

What a crazy world we are living in.

Old 01-04-2024, 07:54 AM

12,847 posts, read 9,055,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Will a university president go on record and just say that calling for the genocide of Jews is hate speech and violates the code of conduct?

What a crazy world we are living in.
Consider, just this past year alone:

1. Franchesca Gino, a Harvard ethics professor falsified data in multiple publications.

2. Mark Tessier-Lavigne, President of Standford University, forced to resign over falsified data in multiple publications.

3. Claudine Gay, Harvard President, finally forced to resign over antisemitic comments and plagiarized information in multiple publications and in her PhD dissertation.

4. Liz McGill, University of Pennsylvania President, forced to resign over antisemitic comments.

This is at the top levels of some of the most prestigious universities in the world. How can they say anything about the code of conduct given they are some of the most egregious violators?

Old 01-05-2024, 07:50 AM

4,531 posts, read 5,103,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
And now the president of Harvard has been accused of plagiarism.
Many believe, myself included, that the plagiarism charge was just a backdoor route to have Pres. Gay removed -- if the other 2 presidents had to go (MIT & Penn), then Gay must go, also. In the academic world, plagiarism is often murky and vague and is a charge easy to throw at most any academically published author and is often/frequently used in a targeted manner.

In addition, several loud-mouth conservatives, including the Harvard alum billionaire whose name escapes me, has been crowing Gay had to go because she represents DEI... as if, somehow, this highly accomplished, well peer-review published woman with a Stanford pedigree, was not qualified to helm the most prestigious university in the land (some say, the world). . . . You can hardly get more racist than that.

Old 01-05-2024, 09:16 AM

12,847 posts, read 9,055,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProf View Post
Many believe, myself included, that the plagiarism charge was just a backdoor route to have Pres. Gay removed -- if the other 2 presidents had to go (MIT & Penn), then Gay must go, also. In the academic world, plagiarism is often murky and vague and is a charge easy to throw at most any academically published author and is often/frequently used in a targeted manner.

In addition, several loud-mouth conservatives, including the Harvard alum billionaire whose name escapes me, has been crowing Gay had to go because she represents DEI... as if, somehow, this highly accomplished, well peer-review published woman with a Stanford pedigree, was not qualified to helm the most prestigious university in the land (some say, the world). . . . You can hardly get more racist than that.
What grade do you give your students in a class when they plagiarize? Do you hold them to the code of conduct?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities