Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2023, 02:17 PM

17,349 posts, read 16,485,995 times

Advertisements

A lot of the fast food places promote from within. Only a select number of team members will assume management positions and in order to be an effective manager and continue to advance it does help to have a college education.

People turn their noses up at opportunities all of the time. Then they cry and whine that they can't find a job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2023, 02:17 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Ruth, you are speaking to one of my pet peeves with the "everyone should go to college" mantra. ... Hence more jobs are requiring a college degree simply to improve the odds the pool of applicants will have the basic skills that a high school diploma used to mean.
Lately, There is a lot more skills testing / competency qualifications during interviews (at skilled and professional levels).

Job posting websites even include 'skills element' to test your capability before posting your resume as available. Not a bad idea for screening, but not fail safe. (did chatGPT offer the 'skilled' response?)

Old 09-12-2023, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Lately, There is a lot more skills testing / competency qualifications during interviews (at skilled and professional levels).

Job posting websites even include 'skills element' to test your capability before posting your resume as available. Not a bad idea for screening, but not fail safe. (did chatGPT offer the 'skilled' response?)
I was noticing that in some areas water treatment facilities require candidates to take a test in order to be considered for the job. And these candidates must have a BS in a hard science going into the interview.

More and more employers seem to be requiring these testing/certifications.

Even in a fast food management job you have to be able to pass the Safeserv manager test or you will not get the position.

Want to work in Banking/Finance? You have to pass specific FINRA tests.

Want to sell insurance? You'll need to pass the licensing exams.

Want to sell Real Estate? Again, you've got to pass the licensing exam.

Almost every profession has some sort of skills testing.

Old 09-12-2023, 02:48 PM

20,096 posts, read 8,998,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
A college degree will often mean the difference between a person being promoted into a higher level job or staying at that same entry level desk job.

Employers want to see that a new hire will show up and do the work day in, day out first. They need to learn the basics about the organization before they are asked to assume supervisory or management roles. I'd even say that many want the mid level pay but not necessarily the actual responsibility of the job.

Heck, if a rocket scientist applied to a fast food place, they would first need to demonstrate that they could do the job of a team member before they were promoted to team leader.

The problem is no one has any patience anymore and they want to just be able to zoom straight into a mid career position with little to no actual work experience.
great point and many times not factored in.

Old 09-13-2023, 06:05 AM

4,502 posts, read 2,651,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
You can get your ASN at the community college and become an RN after you complete your program and pass the NCLEX. You can also get certifications in programming that will help you to get a job. I believe you can get certified to be an early childhood educator.

There are actually quite a few programs at the community college level that can lead directly to a better paying job.
You completely missed my point.

The difference in AVERAGE lifetime earnings between two-year-only CC graduates and four-year BS/BA graduates includes all the engineers, accountants, MDs, JDs, etc.,etc. who completed four year degrees and have high incomes. This does NOT mean that subject-for-subject there's that great pay boost. A two year AA in English versus a four year AA in English, when neither one goes on to graduate school, or a professional program? Not going to be as much of a pay boost.

Old 09-13-2023, 06:23 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit33 View Post

The difference in AVERAGE lifetime earnings between two-year-only CC graduates and four-year BS/BA graduates includes all the engineers, accountants, MDs, JDs, etc.,etc. who completed four year degrees and have high incomes. ....
Correct, AVERAGE anything does not represent a single point of focus.

It is quite simple to pick a higher scale skilled trade at age 18, tack on the lifetime overtime (of which many professionals work for free anyway), and have an equivalent of higher lifetime earnings than 4+yr degree.

I know a lot of very well to do early retirees who never spent a moment in college. No need! Especially in Marketing, Sales, and Real Estate careers. (Considered 'professional', but do not require college degree).... just consistent performance. Which can start even before age 18. I did very well @age 12, selling Xmas trees (commission only). @ age 16 selling tires (commission only). Real Estate earnings since age 19. Those were all side gigs that often far exceeded my 'skilled trades' earnings (35% average overtime during career) some of that was 2x pay. If a Federal employee, it can be 3x pay rate.

Sis was making 6 figures for many years, working PT as a CRNA contract nurse.
College was her real job. Employer paid 100% for her (5) degrees.

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 09-13-2023 at 06:34 AM..

Old 09-13-2023, 06:41 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,665,261 times
Quote:

The difference in AVERAGE lifetime earnings between two-year-only CC graduates and four-year BS/BA graduates includes all the engineers, accountants, MDs, JDs, etc.,etc. who completed four year degrees and have high incomes. This does NOT mean that subject-for-subject there's that great pay boost. A two year AA in English versus a four year AA in English, when neither one goes on to graduate school, or a professional program? Not going to be as much of a pay boost.
I think they look at just generally- how far are people able to move up with those specific degrees. Keep in mind that person B with the BA may be able to get a job that will pay for a graduate degree, while it’s possible that person A with the AA would not even qualify. At my last job, degrees were paid for, and a lot of people with bachelor’s degrees looking to get master’s degrees without having to pay for them would stick around long enough to finish their degrees and then move onto a new job afterward. However, it was pretty hard to get jobs without having a bachelor’s degree at all.

Old 09-13-2023, 06:49 AM

Quote:

A 2 year AA degree in English is specifically a step towards getting a 4 year BA. An English degree qualifies a person to teach MS/HS English in a lot of places.

There are 2 year programs, like the ASN that can lead to better paying careers than even some of the much touted graduate degree programs.

We have been fine helping our kids out with their bachelors degrees. But we've also told them that they need to get some professional work experience, first, before they start tacking on Masters degrees or heading off to law school.

There is nothing in life like real life work experience and handling your own budget.

Old 09-13-2023, 07:00 AM

27,544 posts, read 28,630,498 times
Quote:
OK, now take out all the engineers, scientists, teachers, RNs, and everyone who went on th a professional graduate school (MD, JD, etc.) from that "average 4 year degree) and see what happens.

You can't compare things that don't compare. Community colleges don't graduate engineers, doctors, RNs, lawyers, etc. The person who wants to be an engineer knows he's got to finish at least a 4 year degree. He doesn't get a two year associates and stop, because that's not how you get into that field.
Yes, I was comparing only the educational attainment levels by themselves, not the type of field.

By the way, higher incomes continue up the educational pecking order.

A graduate degree earns more money than a 4-year college degree.

A PhD earns more money than a graduate degree.

Old 09-16-2023, 10:08 AM

27,544 posts, read 28,630,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
First few degrees were not such an academic struggle, tho (3 were engineering), I maintained a 3.5+ as well as FT job + (2) PT jobs + caring for disabled parent.

My last degree program (after age 50) was tough (academically). So my 'homeschooled' college kids tutored me, so as to not jeopardize the family GPA.

We all graduated magna the same yr (from 3 different U's)
Maybe someone with an IQ of 130 can breeze through engineering.

But the vast majority of people don't fall in that category.

I had to work my tail off in engineering.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities