Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2008, 03:51 PM

409 posts, read 2,634,124 times

Advertisements

Is this a good Online University? Does it have a good nation wide validation? Expensive?

Old 02-19-2008, 04:37 AM

2,336 posts, read 7,778,287 times
The school is almost $8,000 and does not seem to be accredited by any reputable entity. You may want to also read some of the opinions on College Reviews: StudentsReview : Over 55900 College Reviews! (3,156 schools reviewed)

Best of luck to you.

Old 02-19-2008, 12:49 PM

3,536 posts, read 12,327,357 times
IT IS NOT ACCREDITED AND YOUR CREDITS WILL COUNT FOR NOTHING ELSE ANYWHERE ELSE... Most will not even be transferable! Run!

Old 02-19-2008, 01:25 PM

2,240 posts, read 5,857,852 times
Exclamation Not True!

AMU has regional accreditation with the Higher Learning Commission of the North Central Association and national accreditation with the Accrediting Commission, Distance Education and Training Council.

AMU is now part of the American Public University System (APUS).

Go to

Accredited Online University - American Public University (APUS) - Online Learning University, Distance Education, Online University Degree Programs

I am on adjunct faculty at APUS and really like it. Obviously, I haven't had the student experience there, but for convenience, you can't beat it. By the way, you don't have to be military, but many students are.

Old 02-19-2008, 06:21 PM

3,536 posts, read 12,327,357 times
Wow, My appologies. I looked into a few years ago and was told by the base education office that they were not accredited. Much misinformation out there as you can see previous posters had concerns about their accredidation. Perhaps they are newly accredited or I'm just mistaken. Sorry- I try not to post misinformation.

Old 02-20-2008, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMMom View Post
AMU has regional accreditation with the Higher Learning Commission of the North Central Association and national accreditation with the Accrediting Commission, Distance Education and Training Council.

AMU is now part of the American Public University System (APUS).

Go to

Accredited Online University - American Public University (APUS) - Online Learning University, Distance Education, Online University Degree Programs
Well I stand by my stance; I did not see AMU on the list of institutions accredited by the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools ( Higher Learning Commission - HLC Home - searched for institutions with either the words "American" or "Military" in them). National accreditation is not as reputable as regional accreditation (please read this article Regional Accreditation vs. National Accreditation - eLearners.com and read at the bottom about transfer of credit issues). This can be a problem not only when transferring; but when trying to attend and get accepted into graduate programs.

Again, it's just my own humble opinion; but why not spend the $8K on a program that won't bring up any doubts.

Old 02-20-2008, 02:15 PM

I followed your link and it is listed under American Public University System (APUS). AMU is now subsumed under that name along with American Public University (APU).

They gained accreditation in 2006.

Old 02-21-2008, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMMom View Post
I followed your link and it is listed under American Public University System (APUS). AMU is now subsumed under that name along with American Public University (APU).

They gained accreditation in 2006.
That whole situation seems like something someone should think twice about. What does the person's degree say? How do you even explain that to someone who would need to know (oh don't look for that school; rather this other school that acquired my school)?

Again, it's not my money. More power to people who are ok with this scenario (who knows...it may just work for them; many University of Phoenix grads do quite well). But it's only fair to present the situation in an accurate light.

Old 02-21-2008, 03:45 PM

Well, I know that it's not the Ivy League, but I think that it's a good situation especially for military folks who are deployed. They can stay in school without interruption regardless of where they are living (and they move often). Professors at APUS are also more informed and accommodating of military folks and offer course extensions, etc..., when students are deployed or have to be incommunicado for brief lengths of time.

I also think that name recognition will increase in the next few years following the accreditation in 2006.

I can't address any of the issues regarding credits transferring or not, but I think that overall it is a good option for a segment of the population that may not otherwise be able to pursue a college degree.

Just my $.02.

Old 04-23-2008, 09:25 AM

2 posts, read 80,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissShona View Post
That whole situation seems like something someone should think twice about. What does the person's degree say? How do you even explain that to someone who would need to know (oh don't look for that school; rather this other school that acquired my school)?

Again, it's not my money. More power to people who are ok with this scenario (who knows...it may just work for them; many University of Phoenix grads do quite well). But it's only fair to present the situation in an accurate light.
I have done a lot of research over the past few months into online graduate programs in history and humanities. The tuitions at AMU and APU are highly competitive, at least at the graduate level. You will have a hard time finding any program for less money.

If you are considering American Military University, rest assured that it is regionally accredited, as you can see on the regional accreditation organization's site. The words "consists of" mean that AMU is accredited as part of American Public University System.

Additionally, American Military University's affiliation with APUS does not mean it was an inferior school swallowed up by a larger institution. To the contrary, the move was one designed to extend online degree offerings to non-military students. You can find this information if you research the history of the institutions.

North Central Association of Colleges and Schools (the regional accreditation authority) has this information on its listing for American Public University:

http://www.ncahlc.org/index.php?option=com_directory&Action=ShowBasic&in stid=2853
[SIZE=5]American Public University System[/SIZE]
111 West Congress Street
Charles Town, WV 25414

www.apus.edu

Chief Executive Officer: Mr. Wallace E. Boston, President
HLC Institution ID: 2853
Current Accreditation Status: Accredited
Candidacy Date(s): 2004
Accreditation Date(s): (2006- .)
Historical notes: American Public University System consists of American Public University, American Military University, and the Center for Professional Development.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities