Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2008, 09:05 AM

5 posts, read 65,670 times

Advertisements

philal26, what are the classes like? How much work, papers, etc. How many papers, and how long are they? Do you take more than one class at a time or would that be too much of a workload? I have seen on other sites that they have you do alot of big papers. Why are they so paper intensive if this is true? are they trying to build a reputation?

Old 11-21-2008, 02:35 PM

1 posts, read 10,855 times
yes, but you also have to pay 750$ for a "intro to online college" course that does not even count for anything. just a rip off. no other college does this.

Old 11-25-2008, 03:54 PM

1 posts, read 10,860 times
I know for a FACT not FICTION that AMU is National and Regional Accredited. I did my Homework first. I am a student of AMU. Came in with a Bachelors degree from a National ONLY accredited school and AMU accepted every bit of my degree and I am now happy to say that I am getting my Master their. It was easy and the staff was all to friendly and eager to help you along. They can have my 8k. It is sure worth it.

Old 12-06-2008, 09:13 AM

1 posts, read 10,816 times
Looks like the posts are kind of old, but I need to jump in for a quick comment. I'm a grad student at AMU. If you;re waondering about the validity of AMU's accreditation, let me please submit the following: my federal agency has an "academic alliance" with AMU and my education is being completely funded through my agency. There would be no funds for my scholling if AMU was not legit or otherwise useless. That's all I have to say.

Old 01-11-2009, 03:46 AM

14 posts, read 102,318 times
How much do the degrees at AMU cost? I stumbled upon this thread and am now very interested in learning more... Thanks.

Old 02-04-2009, 06:23 AM

1 posts, read 10,517 times
I have found AMU to be very affordable. I have my Bachelor's Degree and one year of Graduate work from a brick and mortar University, and AMU is costing me less per semester by a long shot.

They do not require Graduate students to take the Online Orientation class, and Undergrads can get it waived by filling out a form. They are most definitely accredited and have an impressive faculty.

Trust me this is no diploma mill - one of my classes alone has 11 books! You will earn your degree at AMU.

Old 02-07-2009, 04:21 PM

3,196 posts, read 5,395,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcarrillo View Post
Interesting.... Ive noticed that most everyone jumping into these threads to state how GREAT these schools are has 1-5 posts in their record. This is even from posts a few months ago. Isn't it weird that the biggest defenders seem to sign up for the strict purpose of posting 1 item to defend a school and then vanish?

That said, as someone that went through the PhD process and has been in academia and business.... most people with a degree from an online school will get very little respect in either place. Getting into grad school will be very hard unless you have great recommendations and an amazing GRE score. They do view the online degree as less because it does NOT PREPARE students for the graduate school environment.... that is the #1 item many schools will look for, how well prepared are you to thrive and succeed so that you can enhance the reputation of the school.

In industry, an online degree is not viewed the same, plain and simple. Sure for many entry level positions in sales, business or sciences its good enough... but you will have spent time/money and it will NOT get you as much advancement as a degree from an established university. Many private and public schools now offer at least some courses online, at night or on weekends to fit into your schedule. Check those out first before you start with a school that no one has heard about or has bad press.
Your experience in academia and industry dramatically differs from my experience:
B.S. Online School
M.B.A. Brick and Mortar
D.B.A. Onlihe
Ph.D. Online

Chief Information Officer at a variety of firms for 27 years.
Computer Programmer before that.
College Prof after that.

Degress are accepted --seems like everywhere.

Old 02-09-2009, 04:10 PM

1 posts, read 10,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitokenshi View Post
for the love of god I am sick and tired of all these bull crap online university threads.

Almost all of the brick & mortar legit public/private universities offer online degrees that will get you somewhere for a fraction of the cost.

I do not get why people keep asking about diploma mills instead of the legit unis.
Actually, many online schools are quite comparable to state schools. Remember this, if it were not for the online schools, many state schools would not offer online degrees.Schools like AMU, Western Governor's University and the Univerisity of Maryland University College are around because of the pioneers (Union, Walden and Phoenix). There are some degrees (PhD in history) that are not offered online. For some schools (Rice, Duke and University of North Carolina) they do not offer the history classes when normal working people can attend. So you see, online schools do work. I was not flaming you, just giving information.

Old 02-14-2009, 07:59 PM

367 posts, read 1,023,718 times
most universities require students to take a freshman seminar class. there are a lot of people who are turning to online colleges because quite simply, they are busy adults either in the military or in the private sector who do not have the time to spend in a classroom. the intro to online studies course is to give someone who never took an online course the chance to learn the online experience. they go over everything from accessing the online library, to management skills, to learnig how to get into the classroom. there are a lot of people who would have dropped out their first week out of frustration and this eases the transition.
I start at AMU in a few weeks. I'm transferring a lot of credit and am a senior. my credits are all transferred and I'm too busy right now to go sit on campus. this gives me the chance to finish and when that is complete, i'll go get my master's degree. I've called a few college campuses and they do say that they accept credits for "LIKE" classes. so, if you major in english, history, sociology, etc. those credits should transfer. I'm not sure about intelligence, or homeland security and since they are relatively new majors, a lot of universities do not have like courses...if that makes sense?
the university of phoenix went through the same thing and now they are mainstream. online is becoming more and more popular. I actually came across an entirely online law school. unfortunately, it is only recognized in the state of california. BUT...it IS recongnized by the state of california, so that's half the battle. soon, i would imagine there would be simlar scenario's across the country. as more and more colleges are struggling to budget their books, online sounds like a great alternative. less overhead and teachers can "work from home", which seems to be the new american dream, isn't it?
I am thinking of teaching so i called the state of texas to make sure they accept amu as accredited. they said it was...that's all that matters.
it is regionally accredited and if the accredition is good for the university's with walls, it should be just as good enough for universities with whatever background you're in.

Old 02-16-2009, 02:41 PM

1 posts, read 10,337 times
I've found another[url=http://www.allied.edu]military online college[/url] offers tuition assistance for military, veterans, and their spouses also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities