Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2014, 10:22 PM

151 posts, read 424,799 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
Without knowing the methodology used, the report is meaningless.
Yeah, it's best to just assume they make $100k +
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2014, 11:00 PM

6,046 posts, read 4,827,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavelength View Post
Hey general studies majors.

You may not get paid very much right away, after years of college. But after many more years of working your way up, one day you'll be sporting that bank-busting median salary of $38,000/year.

Yeah, you may as well start BMW shopping right now.

Liberal arts median wages
Not everyone wants to be an engineer as you are.

Many don't have the interest in math and science to be one. Then, many who do have an interest in math and science don't want to be engineers. There are even those with engineering degrees that don't want to be engineers.

I've read that many with degrees in engineering (especially in EE/CE) no longer work in those fields 25+ years later. Well over 50% are in that category. Most of those people move on to other things. Unfortunately, quite a few wind up unemployed with few prospects of future employment.

Where will you yourself wind up? The odds are not in your favor that you will remain in the field and retire as an engineer. Think about that in your continual (and boring) bashing of liberal arts graduates. Who knows? You may very well find yourself working for one down the road. At a lesser salary at that.

Last edited by Weichert; 04-15-2014 at 11:18 PM..

Old 04-16-2014, 06:47 AM

10,791 posts, read 5,728,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavelength View Post
Yeah, it's best to just assume they make $100k +
Not my point at all. I would expect the actual numbers to be much lower than the $38,000 that is shown. I would bet that a flawed methodology or cherry-picked data was used to get it up that high.

Old 04-16-2014, 04:08 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,245,269 times
Quote:
Not my point at all. I would expect the actual numbers to be much lower than the $38,000 that is shown. I would bet that a flawed methodology or cherry-picked data was used to get it up that high.
Got it....

Because you don't like the numbers the study must be flawed..

http://naceweb.org/uploadedFiles/Con...ve-summary.pdf

"Established in 1956, the National Association of Colleges and Employers (NACE) connects more than 5,200 college career services professionals at nearly 2,000 colleges and universities nationwide, and more than 3,000 HR/staffing professionals focused on university relations and recruiting.

NACE is the leading source of information on the employment of the college educated, and forecasts hiring and trends in the job market; tracks starting salaries, recruiting and hiring practices, and student attitudes and outcomes; and identifies best practices and benchmarks."
About the Association

Clearly a flash in the pan pseudo organization that doesn't know how to put together or interpret surveys.

Old 04-16-2014, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
Got it....

Because you don't like the numbers the study must be flawed..
It's not that I just "don't like the numbers." It's that the numbers are not consistent with my 30 years of observations both in academia and in private sector employment.

I'll stand by my original statement:

Quote:

Old 04-16-2014, 10:05 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,245,269 times
Quote:
It's not that I just "don't like the numbers." It's that the numbers are not consistent with my 30 years of observations both in academia and in private sector employment.

I'll stand by my original statement:
I'll take the NACE data over anecdotal "observations" that are less than meaningless...

Old 04-17-2014, 02:11 PM

I'm not trying to convince you (or anyone else). I'm just explaining why don't accept their conclusions at face value.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
I'll take the NACE data over anecdotal "observations" that are less than meaningless...
What was provided in the NACE link is not data, but rather summary conclusions.

Since you don't seem well versed in how these things work, let me help you out.

From the linked report:

Quote:
Data for the January 2014 Salary Survey report were retrieved in November 2013, and were compiled using a proprietary methodology created by Job Search Intelligence.
"Proprietary methodology" is usually code for, "we don't like the results that we obtained using standard, recognized tests, so we made up our own tests."

I'll stick by my original statement,

Quote:
And by all means, go on believing that a GS degree is the true path to riches.

Old 04-17-2014, 03:54 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,497,614 times
I couldn't find general studies, but I did find liberal arts. Close enough. Payscale says that liberal arts majors start out making $36,600 and make $60,500 mid-career.
Majors That Pay You Back - 2013-2014 College Salary Report

Georgetown says that liberal arts majors start out making $31,000 and make $51,000 after gaining experience.
https://georgetown.app.box.com/s/9t0p5tm0qhejyy8t8hub

Old 04-18-2014, 02:24 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,055,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissShona View Post
I have a liberal arts degree.
Why aren't there any conservative arts degrees?

Old 05-08-2014, 04:10 PM

151 posts, read 424,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Why aren't there any conservative arts degrees?
There are. They're called STEM degrees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities