Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2017, 08:38 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,473,840 times

Advertisements

International studies is just another name for international relations. General studies isn't like Women's Studies, African American Studies, Chicano Studies, etc. Not that it will likely lead to a good-paying job, but there is not much coverage of minority Americans in college coursework.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2017, 08:24 AM

1 posts, read 1,794 times
This seems like an old post. But I will respond anyway.
I love how people with other degrees are saying "my degree is like a general studies degree". Except its not! Take it from the horses mouth. Through Veterans Affairs I was duped into completing a "Individualized Studies" degree. It is not worth the paper it's printed on. I have been looking for employment for years. Potential employers laugh at this degree. If anyone is thinking about pursuing this degree as a goal should go dig ditches for a few years. That will help you to pull your head out of you ass and join the real world. If you are a trust fund hippy and are just taking classes for the fun of it then stop giving advise to people because you have no business giving flippant advise.

Old 04-20-2017, 06:34 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,473,840 times
Did you read the thread? General studies degrees work fine for people with work experience who just need to check the bachelors degree box. I know people who specifically earned degrees in individualized studies and have good-paying jobs, but they had experience and knew ahead of time that they only needed generic degrees. Some of them only got the degree so that they could earn a masters in their field.

One thing that will help you land jobs is working on spelling. A lot of times, people blame the wrong things for difficulty in finding employment. Having an error-free resume and good interview skills are extremely important.

Old 04-22-2017, 06:23 PM

748 posts, read 820,182 times
I self designed my own degree.

It isn't a get rich quick via salary right out of school scheme. But it's worked out well enough for me! I have zero regrets. It helped me to realize who I really am in a way the narrow studies I doubt would've. Not having a precise "profession" can actually be a huge advantage, as it prevents narrow-mindedness. I go with the ebbs and flows of the world. Yes, I have a full time job but I'm not tied down to any one field.

Never listen to experts except to know what to avoid doing.

Old 05-05-2017, 06:38 PM

1 posts, read 1,686 times
I couldn't disagree more! It's not a general ed associates. If you take the correct classes it is a associates in applied science/Arts/pre-engineering/science.
I don't say "I have an associates in general education."
I say "I have an associates in science, an AAS."
Every major needs two years of classes AKA general education.

There's only a couple majors that don't require this.

Old 05-05-2017, 09:49 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,220,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanabuatid View Post
I couldn't disagree more! It's not a general ed associates. If you take the correct classes it is a associates in applied science/Arts/pre-engineering/science.
I don't say "I have an associates in general education."
I say "I have an associates in science, an AAS."
Every major needs two years of classes AKA general education.

There's only a couple majors that don't require this.
So do you have an associate of science (AS) or an associate of applied science (AAS)? They are two different degrees.

An associate of applied science isn't a transfer degree and you'll normally get very few transfer credits when applying to a four year program.

Don't count on your AAS as "two years of classes AKA general education" when you go to apply to a four year college. It will likely transfer less than a semester.

Old 03-25-2018, 08:31 AM

1 posts, read 1,415 times
So what's the opinion on a Liberal Studies Bachelor's Degree with concentrations in Sociology and Psychology? All four years packed with classes for each of those majors.

Old 03-25-2018, 11:32 AM

10,721 posts, read 5,661,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shannzdee View Post
So what's the opinion on a Liberal Studies Bachelor's Degree with concentrations in Sociology and Psychology? All four years packed with classes for each of those majors.
What do you plan on doing with the degree?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities