Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2007, 04:24 PM

1,205 posts, read 1,855,821 times

Advertisements

No, in today's world a degree just means that you've managed to complete the requirements for graduation at your college. Well that is unless you have a degree in Nursing, Accounting, etc, that kind of stuff, then yeah, you shouldn't have any trouble landing a job in those fields.

I have about two years left till I finish my Finance degree, but this issue is one of the main reasons as to why I enrolled in Army ROTC. I figure a "cushy" Army job as a Supply or Intel officer beats out the stress of having to find a company that will actually hire you fresh out of college, not to mention thanks to the ROTC scholarship, I'll be able to graduate with little if any debt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2007, 04:48 PM

1,720 posts, read 6,730,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeache View Post
Young people get this idea that if they have a college degree, employers will just fight over them after they graduate, reality is too many dummies with worthless degrees!. For people that do not believe in education, try ignorance. I got my B.S degree in Economics, due to my effort, I was able to graduate with no debt. Was it worth? Absolutely! I learned to think like an economist, developed my analytical skills to the fullest and learned to think outside of the box, as one of my professors used to say Economics trains you to think counterintuitively which is a very valuable skill. Since I knew way before I graduated that I wanted to work in corporate finance(financial analysis), it was much easier for me to focus on one specific area and look for specific jobs. I will be going for a MBA in Finance not because I want more money but because I feel like I need a stronger foundation in Finance. Besides all the valuable skills I learned, my degree increased my hourly rate by about 10 dollars/hr. My fiance got a degree in Business Administration last year and increased her hourly rate by 8/hr in less than a year. If there was something like a post-graduate business degree, I would certainly go for it, after all, no education is ever sufficient. Is a college degree worth it? You bet!
I'd like to think you sound like me in 2-3 years....Same degree and plan on having no debt.

Old 12-06-2007, 05:09 PM

3,377 posts, read 14,635,214 times
http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r131/exhdo1/school-1.jpg (broken link)
Just a little humor

Old 12-08-2007, 12:03 PM

2 posts, read 6,348 times
[SIZE=3]Degree is no guarantee that you land any job. It’s a prerequisite for certain kinds of jobs. However, degree such as nursing, accounting, engineering, economics or law is easier to land a job cause of their specialized nature. I have bachelor’s degree in business administration and so far it has been useless investment. Jobs I was offered pays half what im making on my blue collar job which is 65k per year. Problem with my degree is it has become a generic degree to most working adults like me. Over 60% of adult students major in business admin! Thus, im competing with experienced boomers, hungry Gen-xers, and demanding Gen-Y. I personally think that degree is overrated, no matter how many degree a person has, you can’t never replace experience. [/SIZE]

Old 12-10-2007, 04:37 PM

932 posts, read 1,678,280 times
Angry No It Doesn't

As a current college student at Temple University, I believe that college does not guarantee a job AT ALL! I work so hard writting papers and studing while also trying to maintain my rent and utlities by working a part-time job that is an hour away at a department store because Temple does not inform students that after sophmore year they no longer offer housing and I pay 500 a month for a three bedroom. My roomates and I have tried to apply for low-income assistance ( and I have never had to have food stamps or be on welfare in my life)...but the waiting list in Philly is ridiculous! It frustrates me to no end and I tell my boyfriend all the time that I would rather work full time than be in school. I know plenty of grads that have not found a job and it makes it difficult for me to be happy about graduating in May. I do not know what I am going to do after school...be a full timer at Bloomies? Hell no...my dad is in debt because of school and I fear that it has been all for nothing..he doesn't have a car, a cell phone nothing and I feel so guilty.
I just had this conversation with some of my friends and everybody is depressed. Loans only help at that time but what about afterward? We all have promising internships but when we graduate will we be able to live our dream life?
I have many goals and dreams for myself but every semester it seems like my interest in school goes down a notch. I am a psych major and all the jobs that I can get seem to be teaching and that is definitely not what I planned on doing.

Thanks for letting me vent while I am supposed to be typing my 10 page paper on the climate in Mesopotamia for my final! What a Joke!

Old 12-10-2007, 07:31 PM

498 posts, read 1,520,843 times
Default GIggle

Quote:
Originally Posted by exhdo1 View Post
http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r131/exhdo1/school-1.jpg (broken link)
Just a little humor
HEy thanks for the giggle. Ya just gotta laugh sometimes. I can appreciate that.

Old 12-11-2007, 01:37 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,327,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNITE View Post
HEy thanks for the giggle. Ya just gotta laugh sometimes. I can appreciate that.
Even more humorous would be if the first two were in Chinese, Arabic or Hindi...the native language of most graduates in those fields.

Old 12-11-2007, 01:40 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,471,556 times
than you for a very good post. not they do not guarantee employment, that is a degree which is why i extoll the virtues of low cost ed and vocational training e.g. jr college and military, inc nursing. student loans are bad news. they result in automatic unemployability if you get in arrears. (TRW checks are usually mandatory)

Old 12-11-2007, 02:55 PM

718 posts, read 2,689,770 times
All college is an academic hazing. you survive this hazing usually on a 10 week quarterly basis. I was personally high on weed through out the entire experience and dont remember much. thank god i kept all my books

Old 12-12-2007, 02:48 PM

2,356 posts, read 3,480,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyinNY View Post
I heard from others that a college degree doesn't guarantee you a job anymore.
I'm not sure that it ever did; but no, it definitely doesn't now.

Quote:
Is college really worth that much today? The statistic says that on average a college graduate will earn much more in their lifetime as oppose to a high school graduate.

What are your thoughts?
The "value" of your degree can really vary. A B.A. in English from a large public university is a totally different ballgame than a B.S. in Chemical Engineering from the same institution.

As far as getting a job goes, it depends on your field, but in order:
1. You usually need a college degree to even be considered.
2. Then you need a college degree that is relevant to the job to seperate yourself from all the Basketweaving majors.
3. Then you need a good resume (with experience/internships, good spelling and vocabulary) to seperate yourself from the competition, and get an interview.
4. Then you need to be well-socialized, personable and confident to knock out your interview, and get the job.

As a recent college grad, that's my opinion. I think if you're missing any of those four, you'll have a difficult time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities