Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2007, 11:09 PM

1,574 posts, read 4,859,949 times

Advertisements

A very interesting and relevant thread for the day we live in. I actually have two degrees, however, I have never worked in the fields that they represent. Then again I earned them quite awhile ago, back before computers which I am sure some readers can relate to. The endless hours of library work, writing out draft after draft on legal pads and then having to type papers or pay someone to do it for you. I don't regret having spent the time spent on my academic pursuits because I found it interesting to do. I was also lucky in that when I did it the cost per credit hour started out at only about $25.00 so I never did get burdened by excessive loans. The attitude today being pushed on everyone is that you will never make it or rather not be as successful and happy without one. So what we have is an absolute glut of degree holders out here doing whatever they can to pay off outrageous loan balances and not even making a wage to be able to allow for comfortable housing and other needed daily expenses. Granted a degree is a very good credential to have and can open doors to better opportunity, but never have I seen so many degree holders out there as disallusioned as now. I am really concerned for my two sons in this rat maze of education and employment atmosphere that exists. My older one graduated with a BA saddled with high debt four years ago. Now in order to go from low to slightly better then low wage in his job he will have to finish a MA degree because of the competition glut inflation factor. My younger one is a junior this year, but at least he is using the military route to fund his schooling so at least upon graduation he will have it a bit easier financially. My advice would be to earn a degree, but hopefully in an area that really interests you for which you have the aptitude for, and finally in a discipline which can lead to work that will allow you live somewhat comfortably. I see too many useless intellectuals out there sporting their degrees for status only. This could be a good reason we are in the mess we are in today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2007, 05:19 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,082,182 times
I keep thinking I want my son to get a trade when he finishes high school--not college. It's sounds silly coming from someone with a BA and a MS but I know education is not always the way to a secure financial future.

For example, if I was a hairdresser (a very necessary profession) I could ALWAYS find work--even if I worked out of my house or other peoples' homes. With a college degree you have 'gone beyond' in schooling but at 'what price?' (like Flu says--loans... ). Work experience is just as important.

Old 10-15-2007, 05:26 AM

1 posts, read 5,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyinNY View Post
Hello,

I heard from others that a college degree doesn't guarantee you a job anymore. Because some college graduates cannot get a job in their field they are working as waitress and struggling to pay back the student loans.

Is college really worth that much today? The statistic says that on average a college graduate will earn much more in their lifetime as oppose to a high school graduate.

But what if they cannot find or get a job after they finish their college studies? Then comes the struggle to pay back the loans and those 4 years you could be earning money are lost.

What are your thoughts?
I just graduated in May 2007 with a BS in Business Administration and I can not find a job. I have applied for so many places and I can not get an interview. I am currently working on my Master's and I am thinking twice about finishing that degree. I do not want a ton of loans and can not find a job to support the loans. I am not sure if college is worth the hassle.

Old 10-15-2007, 06:28 AM

578 posts, read 3,063,905 times
Quote:
Hello,

I heard from others that a college degree doesn't guarantee you a job anymore. Because some college graduates cannot get a job in their field they are working as waitress and struggling to pay back the student loans.

Is college really worth that much today? The statistic says that on average a college graduate will earn much more in their lifetime as oppose to a high school graduate.

But what if they cannot find or get a job after they finish their college studies? Then comes the struggle to pay back the loans and those 4 years you could be earning money are lost.

What are your thoughts?
I graduated this year in May and haven't had a job yet related to my degree and don't expect to anytime soon, the only jobs I can get are jobs which I could do when I left school so I would say that a degree doesn't guarantee you a job anymore as firms/companies seem to want experience rather than qualifications and its also not what you know but who you know.

I honestly regret doing my degree and wish I never went to university even though I had a good time as it seems like I still have to start at the bottom of the ladder on crap money but with a heap of debt but I wouldn't say all degrees are worthless some degrees are sort after but it all depends what area or field.

I'm speaking as a graduate in the UK so it could be a completely different ball game here but I have had 2 job offers and both have been in the US.

Old 10-15-2007, 07:07 AM

474 posts, read 2,540,105 times
Default I Have Talked About This In A Previous Post

Around 1991, I worked for a very large electronics corporation. I am now retired after spending 25 years in employment with them.
At that time (1991), the place was so popular that in just one single division, their company employment office was trying to handle 1,000 college degree applicants PER DAY. So that company quietly / secretly raised its minimum standards to weed out the applicants. Instead of people with a B.S. etc. degree, they were now looking for people with a minimum of an MBA degree. With such a degree, a person got 'in the door' only to work in the 'pre - lims' department as a resistor lead bender. A job that perhaps paid $7 to $9 per hour. So a college degree has little meaning IF there is terrific competition in that same field. And also if that degree costs 'you' a huge fortune to accomplish said degree. Today, it is not worth the cost. So the 'trick' is to figure out what everyone wants and is seeking, and then go in a slightly different direction for one's fullfillment (sp?) and employment.

Carter Glass,
Wheaton, IL

Old 10-15-2007, 08:48 AM

5,652 posts, read 19,359,859 times
"So that company quietly / secretly raised its minimum standards to weed out the applicants. Instead of people with a B.S. etc. degree, they were now looking for people with a minimum of an MBA degree. "

Yes, this happens. All the BS- EET degrees which used to be hired... are now all offshored or the jobs are lost because of the H1B visa programs.

Companies can ask for the world and get it, just cause they can. More than likely the position does not require that knowledge. It is called "bottom feeding". Worst right after 9/11 getting better now.

Also, I would stay out of any fields that is consumer electronic oriented. The field is extremely cutthroat in regards to pricing. And if they have to cut pricing to compete - they cut worker staff to the bone.

No a college degree does not guarantee you a job. But it does guarantee you an interview. They won't even interview you if you don't have it. The best way to mitigate it is to get your associates and gen eds cheaply at a community college and transfer into a big university. They just care where you got your bachelors from, not that you took "introduction to weather 101" at a community college.

Old 10-15-2007, 02:00 PM

474 posts, read 2,540,105 times
Default Hello Gardener 34

Your thread is very well written and I agree with you. But what a price to pay for an interview ! An associate degree or perhaps a four year degree expense (a total of $112,000 average ) just to get an interview? Yes, you are correct but there has to be a better way in our future of the U.S.A.

Carter Glass

Old 10-15-2007, 02:43 PM

3,589 posts, read 4,152,650 times
Quote:
Hello,

What are your thoughts?
You can succeed without a degree, but it's easier to succeed with one. I'd have had a much harder time breaking into my field without a degree; many companies still will not hire you without a degree.

Old 10-15-2007, 03:12 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,359,859 times
Case in point, I got hired at my old company. But I could not advance any further in the company unless I had my degree. I was going to let them pay for it, but I was let go before that happened.

You can also do that, let the company pay for your bachelors... or masters... do any companies do that anymore?

And yes, there are people that are so driven, college only slows them down. They own their own companies and HIRE the degrees to run it for them once it gets big. I have met a few people like this. But your company is your life if you own your own business.

Old 10-15-2007, 04:18 PM

1,574 posts, read 4,859,949 times
After posting my comments yesterday I was thinking of the economic dilemma surrounding higher education and then on the drive home heard an interesting news article. It's pretty obvious that many institutions of higher learning are interested in business, the business of fattening their own portfolios. On the news it was reported that numerous schools, especially up here in the northeast have done exceptionally well with positive investment yields from 24% to over 30% increasing their endowments to phenominal levels (a shame my retirement funds only achieved less than half of that). Apparently there is a push to force these institutions to use a percentage of these profits to offset the annual double digit increases they annually force on students for the privilege of attending and graduating. I understand schools are much like any business and they have to also be prepared to deal with infrastucture and expansion issues, but the profit margins have become absurd. A few weeks ago up here in Vermont a news story was broadcast to reassure folks that a BA statistically will increase your lifes income by one million dollars versus that of just a high school graduate. Then to reinforce that an economics professor from UVM claimed that the "purchase" of an education at UVM was an exceptional bargain in terms of $20,000 investment offering a payback of one million. What a crock of a statement! First of all, UVM is, or at least very recently was, the most expensive public university in the nation where $20k covers one semester. Granted that some students may get some very good grants and scholarships, but the majority do not at least to the tune that their four year endeavor will just set them back $20k. To top this off UVM is not resident friendly as they admit over 70% percent from out of state leaving a great many deserving Vt students with the only option of leaving the state. Then the state creates a group to go out of state and try and recruit those students to return to Vt after graduation. Return to what? Anyway, times are tough and it is sad to see so many motivated young folks doing the right thing by diligently completing their education and then left in a lurch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities